Model Cars Magazine Forum

Differences between the AMT Kenworth cabover kits.

I recently bought a couple of old built Kenworth cabovers off eBay figuring on rebuilding them. I plan to use the parts from the recently reissued K-100 Aerodynes to fix them up.

I noticed right off that the older kits used Cummins engines and manual transmissions, where the Aerodynes have Detroit engines with Allison automatic transmissions. The Aerodyne kit has the 8-bag air ride suspension. One of the old builts had a walking beam suspension, and the other has the torsion bar setup. Did the first issue of the K-123 have the torsion bars, like the first issue of the W-series? Or has someone swapped out the rear suspension? All the others I've seen have the walking beams.

Hi Lee Hartman,

The very original Kenworth did come out with the torsion bar setup and you are very lucky to get one.

If you can find a copy of building model Trucks by Phil Jenson there is a photo of the torsion bar setup and chassie ready to be painted.

You are quite right on the kit being changed to spring and then the Aerodyne was released as a new kit later on.

I hope to see your Kenworth torsion bar setup on this website some day.

Cheers

John Wilson