Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is the AMT 1970 1/2 Camaro any good?

'08SEAL

AMT has two tools for this subject, the newest one is a great kit, the older one not so much. Both are out as Rally Sport Z/28's, and I don't know how to tell you which one is which. The new tool is also out as a Baldwin Motion big block car, if you find this kit you can be sure you have the better tooled kit.

I dont think the old tool is available, exxcept for places that stock oop kits. Any AMT Camaro you get from a hobby shop should be the newer tool. I think the last time the old tool was in production was late 80's, early 90's.

I've said it before and I'll say it again : I'd love to see Round2 repackage their excellent 70 1/2 Camaro as a 2-in-1 kit , containing parts for both the Baldwin-Motion 454 Phase III and the LT-1 Z28 version !

THAT would be a dynamic duo ! Imagine the mix-and-match possibilities !

I'll second that emotion!

Casey -- What's the difference between the "red" one and the "orange" one (and its companion , the B-M 454 Phase III) ??

In a word John- quality. The older AMT "red" AMT kit suffered from body warp issues that make assembly really difficult but the later ones Casey showed are much better, even though they come from the same manufacturer.

Casey -- What's the difference between the "red" one and the "orange" one (and its companion , the B-M 454 Phase III) ??

The red one was an update to the old MPC tooling and has some innacuracies w/ the front end...old '70s tooling. The later AMT '70 kits were new tools in the '90s and much better...

I've said it before and I'll say it again : I'd love to see Round2 repackage their excellent 70 1/2 Camaro as a 2-in-1 kit , containing parts for both the Baldwin-Motion 454 Phase III and the LT-1 Z28 version !

THAT would be a dynamic duo ! Imagine the mix-and-match possibilities !

I respectfully disagree, what I would like is, for them to re-do the BM car with a full bumper nose, so one can kit bash between the two kits.

CamOutside.jpg

Also when doing that, they should do the headlamp buckets as separate plated parts, JMHO on the matter.

BTW IIRC there was some engraving missing from the dash, has that been addressed, or am I thinking of another kit?

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

I respectfully disagree, what I would like is, for them to re-do the BM car with a full bumper nose, so one can kit bash between the two kits.

CamOutside.jpg

Also when doing that, they should do the headlamp buckets as separate plated parts, JMHO on the matter.

BTW IIRC there was some engraving missing from the dash, has that been addressed, or am I thinking of another kit?

Luc

I wonder if there's any practical way that Round2 , et al. , could include parts to build any 1970-1973 Camaro , or offer "parts packs" which would include the various years' exclusive parts (interior , lighting , etc. ) .

The one in the pic here is , iirc , a 1973 Phase III , right ?

Now , if *someone* would produce a street version of a '73-'75 Chevelle , so that a replica of the B-M '73 Chevelle SS "427" could be built ...

I wonder if there's any practical way that Round2 , et al. , could include parts to build any 1970-1973 Camaro , or offer "parts packs" which would include the various years' exclusive parts (interior , lighting , etc. ) .

I think that would require molding the header and front valance panels as separate pieces, and they'd need to to include all the different noses, the two different style of parking lamps/housings, two (maybe more with bumper guards involved) different styles of bumpers, etc. It would be nice, but it would probably make it a 6'n'1 kit. :D

• 2 years later...

The red one was an update to the old MPC tooling and has some innacuracies w/ the front end...old '70s tooling. The later AMT '70 kits were new tools in the '90s and much better...

It's the old AMT annual kit (last issued as a '77) backdated. MPC's was updated through '81, but should still exist in that form.

It's the old AMT annual kit (last issued as a '77) backdated. MPC's was updated through '81, but should still exist in that form.

Good to know..wasn't sure of the origin of that kit. I have a bunch of the '70s-era tooling AMT and MPC Camaros, never noticed much difference in them as far as the tooling.

Edited by Rob Hall