Model Cars Magazine Forum

Simple brick walled space for pics

Gluhead

I'm still distracted by this whole brick fixation. Thanks to you guys for the nods that I was headed in the right direction with my test piece the other day...taking it to the next step and making a simple display base.

Just two walls, old doors, and a concrete floor. I'll add some mid-century trade tools as I get the urge once the base itself is all done, but I'll keep it pretty simple so that I can set about any model on it to snap a couple pics that are more interesting than just the basic black or white backdrop.

The foundation is a walnut box that I'd made years ago. Nothing special, but it was about the perfect size and I wasn't using it for anything important.

Pics, so far...

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_01-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_03-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_05-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_08-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_09-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_11-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_12-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_13-vi.jpg

The walls just have their base color in this last pic. I'll go over them with more shades today and hopefully bring it all to life. I've also got some hardware for the doors in the works, and I'm planning to cap the walls off top and sides to give it a finished look.

Hope ya like it so far.

Glu

Thanks, guys.

Jim - Yepper...regular ol' foam core for the walls, with most of the paper stripped off the working side. It's also doubled up, adhered with spray adhesive, since once the lines are cut the material loses most of it's capacity for holding itself straight. I've pinned the corner together with toothpicks, which turns out to work pretty well. I'll drill holes in the base and mount more there, and press the walls down onto them as a unit when things are close to complete.

The floor is simply a base coat of gray acrylic, followed by tamping on a dark gray with a crumpled up plastic grocery bag. Then a thin black wash over the whole thing. At one point, I worked in a shop in an old warehouse and I was trying to get it's look/feel. I think I got it pretty close...just needs a healthy build-up of dust in the corners. lol.

Got the tone variations done. Now I'm just playing around with mortar effects. Hopefully I'll sort out which process I like and be able to get that finished by tonight.

Mortared, but it still needs a wash. I sized this thing to fit a specific space, but looking at the last pic here I think I'd rather make it tall enough that it fills up the image when I'm snapping off shots...so this thing might have to grow a loft. :D

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_16-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_17-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_18-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_19-vi.jpg

Looks like you have some architectural drafting background....... the brick arch is pretty realistic and takes much of the weight off that wooden lintel. And, as a retired architect, I would second Mike's comment about the concrete.

This is really coming together nicely.......

Tony

Thank you, gents...it's much appreciated.

No background in architecture, other than a deep appreciation of it. I've always tended to pay attention to the details in old buildings and have spent some time as a finish carpenter. I'm sure neither has hurt. Good to know I am getting it right, in either case!

Scratched my head for a minute and came up with this for a top extension. I'll be able to remove it so I can still place it where I'd intended when I'm not using it as something to take pics of model cars on. I need to let the brick red dry up real well then I'll give it the same treatments as the other walls.

I'm thinking I'd like to add just a few basic utility type details and maybe one unusual feature to set it apart from the norm, and call it done. This is really just a test run of the basic processes and a pic prop, so simple is better. I should have a final update in a couple/few days.

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_20-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_22-vi.jpg

Thanks, guys.

Brad, the new bricks are done. I have a handle/latch made but it doesn't really fit the look and feel of the rest of the piece now. So if my hands will cooperate today I'm hoping to tackle the door hardware, and install some conduit. The printing plate sheet will be shrinking a bit on this one. :D

I need to play around with different lighting to make sure that my camera is able to do it's job right. Here's a shot that shows what I mean - if I go too bright then I lose the "look" but I also need enough that the camera has enough to take a clear image (which this certainly isn't all that clear). I'll figure it out, I think.

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_24-vi.jpg

Also played around with some low light. If I can get these to be clearer, I think I'll be able to get some pretty interesting shots.

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_25-vi.jpg

Yesterday, I scratched an itch on a new (to me) trick - using that floppy craft foam that comes in 2mm thick letter size sheets. I'd like to avoid the typical scene where it's a typical car guy garage, but it sure does need some clutter of some kind. So I decided I'd make up some guitar gear. This is the first attempt, and honestly it's not a very good one. lol. But, it gave me some good mistakes. The next one will be much better, I think.

_SimpleBrickRoom_GuitarGear_01-vi.jpg

_SimpleBrickRoom_GuitarGear_02-vi.jpg

_SimpleBrickRoom_GuitarGear_03-vi.jpg

This backdrop looks terrific! That door is a work of art!

Can you describe to us your "mortar" tecnique? Someday, I am planning on a creating some backdrops that fit inside a shelf to give my cars a more naturalistic place to be displayed. I would love to recreate your brick texture for one (or more) of those, thats for sure...

Thanks, guys. Glad you like it.

Andrew, you're going to laugh at the simplicity. I shook flour onto the walls and rubbed it in...then tapped on the back to get rid of the excess. I also whisked more away in some places with an old brush, but it really was just that simple.

Richard, your shop build is really cool, too. I may have to rob a few of your ideas on my next one.

Moving slow this week...anyone have any bets on when those 3d printers will be high tech enough to just print us out a new body? I could use one...or at least a replacement spine. Heheh. Anyway, finally felt well enough to make some progress overnight. I may be able to keep going and get the basic electrical stuff knocked out, with some luck.

I'd asked elsewhere on the forum about weathering the wood door, and was offered some great examples. However, I really wanted to keep it subtle on this piece - used but not forgotten...something like that anyway. The whole thing already being stained helped that a good bit. The alky/ink bath didn't penetrate all that much...but just enough, I think. I wanted a little more in the lower parts, so I rubbed cig ashes into it then pulled the whole thing together with another wash. Finally, I dirtied them up where workin' hands and boots would have been grabbin' and kickin' at them day in and day out.

Then I went to work on the hardware, that I'd been picking away at over the last couple days. It's all shaped out of aluminum printing plate, drilled for rivets and attached with stretched sprue heated on each end to form a rivet head.

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_27-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_28-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_29-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_30-vi.jpg

Dio1_SimpleBrickRoom_32-vi.jpg

Edited by Gluhead