Model Cars Magazine Forum

Industrial Photo-Op Base

Dr. Cranky

Thanks, Wheelman, I really appreciate it . . . I'll check them all out . . .

Jim, Gatorboard appears easy to cut at first, but you'll go through a whole bunch blades before you know it . . . a utility knife works well, but you have to have a steady hand or you can sideways before you know it . . .

Wow, Wheelman, these places are amazing eye candy, but they are also scary and sad . . . possibly the perfect setting for the end of the world. Not only in Russia, but I am sure there are plenty of places like this in the USA.

Thank you for the great resources.

This is simply incredible! Absolutely one of the finest builds I've ever seen. And the speed at which you've gotten this accomplished is phenomenal.

Virgil, this is truly first-class work.

For colors for the corrugated siding, I remember up around here that a lot of those buildings were a light blue. Floquil or Polly S Great Northern Big Sky Blue would be a good starting point for the base color, which you can alter to your liking.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks, C. I've been thinking of exactly that color and also perhaps a light green . . . something that goes well with both white, concrete, and sand colors . . .

I really appreciate your comments. I should have more progress in the coming days . . .

Trust me when I tell you there are going to be lots of props for this one . . . including puddles, yes, a few here and there . . . and gunk puddles too.

Harry, the trusses come like that. Plastruct makes them, and they sure know how to price them. They are more expensive than the sheets of styrene because they know no one in their right mind would sit there and scratch build them. I am sure many modelers have, but not Dr. Cranky. He's on a mission! :)

I am working on some lights (non- working lights) and other things, so stay tuned in for more progress pics . . .

Thanks, Clay. Cranky's just having fun, that's all . . .

Here's the latest progress installment . . .

I made a whole bunch of light fixtures with styrene, metal tubing and the backs of earrings from the craft store, then I placed a little magnet so that I can hang up and take down the lights without too much fuss . . .

IMG_4436-vi.jpg

I added a nail to the posts and voila, instant lights . . .

IMG_4438-vi.jpg

I still have to add a few touches here and there . . .

IMG_4437-vi.jpg

IMG_4433-vi.jpg

I also added some extra structural details to the side wall so that it didn't look so flimsy . . . we'll see what it will all look like when the painting starts . . . I am still trying to find reference pics of how metal siding deteriorates . . .

Most metal siding was aluminum or galvanized to prevent "going Cranky", but that never stopped all of it. I'm going to have to look back in my old photos taken during industrial inspection jobs and maybe I can come on some for your reference.

Most metal siding was aluminum or galvanized to prevent "going Cranky", but that never stopped all of it. I'm going to have to look back in my old photos taken during industrial inspection jobs and maybe I can come on some for your reference.

I went through my photos and unfortunately I didn't have copies of the ones I had in mind. Being retired, I don't have access to any in the vast resources at work anymore. I came on a few that are just general rust and rot and maybe will give some aid. They are here on my photobucket site

I can say that metal siding rust starts at the screw attachment points and the cut edges (usually only top and bottom) of the panels. Screws would be 12" oc along the edges and panels about 30 or 36" wide.

I know you are not going to measure out screws, but just a guide for you eyeballing. :)

Edited by Foxer

Thanks, maties. Yes, this is going to be a Jekyll and Hyde type of structure, if all goes well . . .

Here's yet another sign I played with today . . . trying to get a better handle on the crackling . . . for some reason the signs are getting gunkier and more beat up--is this a sign for what's to come?

IMG_4439-vi.jpg

I started with 1/2" stick on lettering from Office Depot, primered them, and then added white paint, and melted Utee on the surface for that bubbly glass look (trying to get to that porcelain look) and then some chipping . . .

IMG_4440-vi.jpg

Nick, those are watch parts. A few years ago I bought about 10 pounds of watch parts, and over the years they have saved my sanity time again. Or wait, maybe they've kept me insane all these years! Well, either way, get your hands on some watch parts and you'll put them to use too! :(

Thanks Virgil, Come to think of it I have a few broken watches that even with new batteries can't keep time :( guess I found a use for them :(

ok, Virgil... time for some "comstructive criticism"... B)

Your light fixtures are cool, but in reality a building like that would never have incandescent fixtures like the ones you made. They just wouldn't work as far as illuminating the area.

99.999% of all steel industrial/warehouses/garage buildings would have fluorescent lights hung from the ceiling... unless the building was built before fluorescent fixtures became available. And in that case the building would most likely have been either wood or brick, not galvanized corrugated steel.

I know... nit picky. ;)

Harry, you caught me, I guess that would be true, but if you know anything about the way Cranky works (and you should by now) you would know that Cranky takes poetic license wherever he can . . . but you did not look close enough, each of those lights has those new curlycue light bulbs that put out 150 watts of power!

I guess it would not be too hard to make some fluorescent lights! B)

Your light fixtures are cool, but in reality a building like that would never have incandescent fixtures like the ones you made. They just wouldn't work as far as illuminating the area.

99.999% of all steel industrial/warehouses/garage buildings would have fluorescent lights hung from the ceiling... unless the building was built before fluorescent fixtures became available. And in that case the building would most likely have been either wood or brick, not galvanized corrugated steel.

I know... nit picky. ;)

I have to go with Virgil this time. My business for 35 years was visiting industrial buildings for various engineering jobs. Half the time our electrical engineer was with me. There were many buildings constructed of steel (structure and siding) before fluorescent lighting. Steel siding has commonly been used in commercial/industrial buildings since the teens, and actually before that in somewhat limited quantities. And, an industry would not replace working lights with fluorescent for years afterward .. if at all.

The best argument though, is that this is a CRANKY building and if it LOOKS right, it IS!

I guess I told Harry! B)

Edited by Foxer

No, Harry, the reason you and I work together so well is that you keep me on your toes, and you don't let Cranky get away with anything. I'm glad you are always there with a strong, critical eye, besides, how the heck are we supposed to learn if everything we hear is complimentary?

Now, having said that, I spent the last 4 hours building these to meet you half way . . . I hope it is slightly better, and you be the judge. :D

Ah, what book? What are you talking about? :)

HEY HARRY, LET THERE BE LIGHTS!!!

IMG_4447-vi.jpg

IMG_4448-vi.jpg