Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old factory/ Industrial building diorama

kingtoy

Hey gang, I have been wanting to build a diorama to be a background for taking pics of finished models or possible in progress shots. I am wanting to do something along the lines of the inside of a old factory or maybe just out side a old industrial building. I am thinking maybe old steel girders maybe lots of bricks.

I am asking for suggestions of elements to put in. Websites to get supplies to build such a diorama. Also, if anyone has any good pics of old factory interiors or shots of old industrial buildings.

Any help would be great.

Well,,I tell ya,,,I live on the west side of MTR CTY,,and theres PLENTY of old industrial sites around here,,,River Rouge Ford plant is a good one for the look you may want,,maybe look on the web for pics of it,,and Greenfield Village,{Henry Fords personal museaum he built} has some cool stuff to consider,,and the Chrysler Hammtramick plant is pretty old school looking as well,,Im sure theres pics on the web of these,and others.

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Jeff, there you go, these pictures will get you on the right track . . . I love taking photographs of run down places like this but unfortunately all we have left in the Deep South are just foundations, many of the buildings are long gone. No real big abandoned industry the way you still see it up and down the East Coast.

I can wait to see you get started, chap, and see what you come up with.

Well I think I have the building that I am going to use as my inspiration. I found these pics that I believe are the same place.

abandoned-factory-3d0d4d.jpgabandoned-factory-3d4fe5.jpgabandoned-factory-412417.jpg

After looking at a ton of pics I same some really interesting ones. This one for some reason is one of my favorites.

abandoned-factory5.jpg

Glad to see you now on this forum Dannyl. How's the rebuilding of this dio coming along after the accident? I haven't been watching the "other" forum.

Maybe these are updated photos... you had the second floor already finished?

Tony

Edited by GTMust

Jeff, often times when I need to do such windows , I'll take a piece of .015 Acetate and use Elmers White glue adhered to .020 X .020 strip . After the whole window is made up, attach that to the window frame . You can also use the "Packageing" from cookie and deli containers too. yes , most of them are .015 acetate sheet . Ed Shaver

Glad to see you now on this forum Dannyl. How's the rebuilding of this dio coming along after the accident? I haven't been watching the "other" forum.

Maybe these are updated photos... you had the second floor already finished?

Tony

..thanks Tony, enjoy being here. The only thing l did after the accident was to fix the wall separation and the overhead piping. I really need to get back into this!

Oh that is bad ass! I love that you made the lights actually work. Where did you get the brick wall with the windows in them?

Jeff the walls and windows I made. The walls are foam board and like ED said the windows are clear Acetate and styrene strips....

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1220.jpg

DSCN1221.jpg

Dannyi, I remember this one. It's still looking great and what wonderful inspiration.

Jeff, I hope you get started on yours after a few rounds of research. I love the reference pictures you have . . .

Thank you Doc. I showed my GF the pics of your warehouse, how it was so incredible. She said I am not allowed to get that deep into one. LOL :lol:

Dannyi, I remember this one. It's still looking great and what wonderful inspiration.

Jeff, I hope you get started on yours after a few rounds of research. I love the reference pictures you have . . .

You know, after looking at some of your post-nuke vehicles inpired a new build for me. It is a post-apocalyptic themed C-5 Vette. :D