Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1976 Gremlin

towtruck

The Slicks in the Barnabas van are new and not the hollow wide MPC Goodyears from the last issue, I think my flash when I took the picture earlier I posted made both sets of slicks look bad, sorry about that, but it is nice to see that they are doing new tooling on things.

i kinda like those slicks from the Gremlin...can someone tell me the appropriateness of either them and/or the M&H with the "pie crust" tread on the sidewall? as i remember the pie crust looking ones were on real cars (but i could just be remembering that from AMT kits in the early sixties) but maybe not those in the Gremlin? or are the gremlin ones more appropriate for later cars (like early 70 vs the pie crust being more like early 60s)?

i am interested in this for reasons having to do with an upcoming project by the way, so thanks for all the help i may get!

i kinda like those slicks from the Gremlin...can someone tell me the appropriateness of either them and/or the M&H with the "pie crust" tread on the sidewall? as i remember the pie crust looking ones were on real cars (but i could just be remembering that from AMT kits in the early sixties) but maybe not those in the Gremlin? or are the gremlin ones more appropriate for later cars (like early 70 vs the pie crust being more like early 60s)? i am interested in this for reasons having to do with an upcoming project by the way, so thanks for all the help i may get!

"Pie crust" slicks would be correct for a early to mid 60's dragster, by the late 60's early 70's the wrinkle wall slicks had become the norm.

Chassis warp - sounds like this will be present in a lot of the kits?

Here is a photo:

c080bf27.jpg

It is on a completely flat ceramic tile - you can see the frame rail on the passenger side is just about touching the tile - while on the driver's side, it is elevated a couple mm.

Top of the frame at 12mm:

8657c14f.jpg

Top on passenger side, 8mm:

aac69177.jpg

Not a huge deal for some, could be a pain for beginners or folks unfamiliar with the kit.

Ya call THAT a warp? :P:lol:

Warp? Yes. Bad warp? No. It will be easy to overcome. I had heard about the problem so I looked closely at mine and this is what I found. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it had it not been brought up previously. The rest of the kit looks great. There is some excess chrome in the stock wheels that will result in stripping and application of Alclad II, but otherwise looks great.

Casey,

I think I know where those photos were shot...Is that just outside the city limits of Kenosha, Wisconsin, the late home of AMC?

Those are some nice inspiration pix, I might build mine like a former co-worker had his-258 L6 with a lowered chassis and wide flares and L-60 tires.

A 6 would be nice for a build..any out there in resin? I can't think right off of a kit that might have one appropriate for that vintage...maybe a Jeep kit? Or a rare Johan Rambler?

And is it me, or do the kit's stock wheels seem rather deep?

Edited by Rob Hall