Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Car Box Art

Here's the most recent example that I can think of.

1974_Plymouth_GTX_AMT_ERTL_38157_25th.JPG

This model cannot be built as depicted on the box art by using only what you find in the kit. I bought one, naively assuming that it would have MPC's Cragar SS wheels and that the decal sheet would have two or three different colors of stock Mopar stripes (black & white, possibly red). There are no Cragar SS wheels and no stock Mopar stripes. The kit did have some nice Centerline-type wheels, but the decal sheet was mostly made up of ugly blue & green custom/street striping.

Assuming someone like Keith Marks even made correct GTX decals, they'd probably cost at least $10.00 plus shipping, so I wasn't terribly happy with AMT/Round2/whoever.

That issue is from the RC2 days when the AMT brand was being managed by Cheryl ? something or other. At the time they were cranking out the reissues by the dozen or more. I was working along with their main box art builder (who wants to stay anonymous) and picking up some of the overflow. Typically the other builder would get the to do list with a deadline of "need by yesterday" and BTW, you'll have to supply your own kits. I'd get a call next to compare which kits I had vs what he had on hand and divide up the work load.

I always did a fresh "box stock" build but many times the other builder would just grab a finished model out of his collection and send it in to keep up with the demand. I'm sure Cheryl Whats-her-name was well aware of it but didn't care as long as the models were on time. Mind you this is the same person who was resposible for the F&F Camaro disaster. So the next time you see some box art model with a wired engine or not included wheels or decals now you know how it happened.

-Steve

• 2 years later...

I think what that's supposed to mean is that both headers, taken together, form 180 degrees (one semi-circle) which they appear to do, above the engine and then cut backward to the rear of the engine. so looking at the engine from the front the headers would appear to form half a circle.

jb

I think what that's supposed to mean is that both headers, taken together, form 180 degrees (one semi-circle) which they appear to do, above the engine and then cut backward to the rear of the engine. so looking at the engine from the front the headers would appear to form half a circle.

The 180* part is based on how the exhaust pulses are matched with the primary tubes-- I recall the Monogram NASCAR kits' headers were that way-- but I was commenting on how the headers merge and exit above the engine on the box art, but maybe they DO exit behind the engine, just not as high as pictured on the box:

IMGA0903.jpg

It seems to me the headers pictured on the box would pass directly through the center of the windshield opening, and that's not the case on the model.

I did not even take into consideration that this was a real car (duh its right there on the same panel!), I was getting confused with all the "what a bunch of dumb kits" posts elsewhere, and thought that was some kind of showrod fantasy or something.

that is a pretty darn wild looking exhaust system there and now I see exactly what you mean about cooking marshmellows because that header would be pretty much right in your face!

jb

I remember when kit box tops were secured to the inside/bottom portion of the box with two small strips of masking tape (or similar tape) before shrink wrap was adopted. Thus it was easy to verify what was in the box before purchasing the kit.

PB.