Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1/24 '77 4x4 GMC Truck

tooltas

• 1 month later...

Wheres the bottom of the cab lol. Somthing tjats bern bothering me is the interior tub is also the floor board n it dont go all the way back to the end of the cab i have mine almost done just waiting for flocking and paint to dry

Rust belt salt corrosion took the bottom of the cab.. :)

Edited by Rob Hall

• 1 year later...

I was looking at plow makes and colours for mine and noticed that one of the decals in the kit, that goes on the back of the plow, is for XYZ Plows, which actually are a company based in Sweden, who make snow plows and other equipment - XZY Vikplog. I'm wondering whether they based the plow on a Western, but used an agreement with the swedish firm, to use their name (even though they have styled the letters differently)?

1618778366.jpg

Edited by Ridgeback

Not sure if this was brought up, but the spare mounted on the tailgate of an old plowtruck is pretty accurate for a lot of the trucks here in the rust belt. Or mounting it inside the box somewhere. Another very common location on these trucks back in the day was right on the grill if there was room in front with the plow light brackets.

After a few plowing sessions, you wouldn't want to chip out that much ice, snow, sand from under the truck to get the spare off. Those old trucks rotted fast underneath. Anything built in the 70s and 80s turned into a mess on the undercarriage after just a year. We use lots of salt here. Lots.

Newer trucks aren't much of an issue these days, but on a truck of this age, it's rare to see a spare sitting under the bed still.

Edited by hpiguy

I've been around the UP of Michigan enough to see that none mount them on the tailgate, unless it's an SUV (Bronco, Scout, Blazers, etc.). Most that have them are mounted in the box towards the front. I haven't really seen any mounted on the plow frame, but I have seen ones mounted on non-plow trucks on a special bracket on the front, generally ones that have a camper mounted in the box. I have also seen a few that have no spare at all!

Biggest reason I think that they aren't under the bed is because the lifting/lowering mechanism has rusted out/up. :P

• 9 months later...

Dual batteries were an option regardless of engine for buyers who used lots of high-amp accessories like auxiliary lights, a winch, or a plow. Diesels weren't available in the C/K Series trucks until 1982 or thereabouts. That's not counting the Olds 5.7 diesel, which was introduced as an economy engine for 1978, was only used in half tons, I don't know if those came standard with dual batteries or not.

The shifters are actually the same, the difference is at the control box at the bottom of the column.

No. The manual column shifter had one bend near the column, for better leverage. while the automatic shifter had two bends in them, and the Column Shift with the tilt wheel (automatic only) had two bends with a more severe angle to them.