Model Cars Magazine Forum

Doodlebugs, Scrambolas, Jitterbugs, and Field Crawlers (And Other Types) CBP

Dr. Cranky

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

doodlebug-vi.jpg

Here's a picture of a Doodlebug I started a while back. I was motivated to pull it down off the unfinished project shelf this week when I found this thread. I was surprised that this photo was taken in 2004! It started life as a '32 Vicky and the chassis was shortened severely.

IMG_3123-vi.jpg

And here it is last night. I found better wheels and tires in my parts box. The front units are the stock wheels and tires from the AMT '34 Ford sedan. I have the white wall painted black. The rear tires are plastic and given to me by a friend. The wheels are the deep dish ones from the AMT '57 Ford kit.

IMG_3121-vi.jpg

I don't think I'll be using the hood side panels, they're just still attached and help with the mock up. I cobbled together a bench seat and bed from misc wood scraps in my junk material box. I'm not sure if these are the final pieces or just a pattern. They look thick to me. I may redo it in thinner basswood. I am planning on putting the gas tank in the cowl with the filler sticking up through the vent. Not sure about the engine, I have the kit's flathead V8 assembled, but am thinking about a Model A 4 which is also sitting out on the bench. I may also shorten or eliminate the bed and add a trailer. Oh the possibilities when you are working with junk!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 3 weeks later...

Pat, that woody is just too cool! Rather than it being a doodlebug (a tractor) this looks more like a field car that's used to bring the crops in from the field (fill it with some neat crop like watermelons) or I can picture a farmer driving it down to the farm supply company or general store for provisions. A load of a few crates and barrels?

Pat, that woody is just too cool! Rather than it being a doodlebug (a tractor) this looks more like a field car that's used to bring the crops in from the field (fill it with some neat crop like watermelons) or I can picture a farmer driving it down to the farm supply company or general store for provisions. A load of a few crates and barrels?

Thanks Tom ! I have some Sculpey clay, watermelons or maybe pumpkins might work . Thanks

Thanks Tom ! I have some Sculpey clay, watermelons or maybe pumpkins might work . Thanks

Kinda foggy memory going back but I think I remember someone doing watermelons from small jelly beans. Shape would be right and you just have to detail paint 'em. And remember, when doing a truckload, only the ones on top really need to be detailed nicely.

MVC002S-vi.jpg

And a bit of ancient trivia since you brought up pumpkins. The above truck was actually inspired by a farm stand truck that was displaying pumpkins. I originally was going to put the pumpkin load on it. I was building it for my club's annual contest at our December meeting, so a friend suggested a Christmas theme. And the rest is history!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Kinda foggy memory going back but I think I remember someone doing watermelons from small jelly beans. Shape would be right and you just have to detail paint 'em. And remember, when doing a truckload, only the ones on top really need to be detailed nicely.

MVC002S-vi.jpg

And a bit of ancient trivia since you brought up pumpkins. The above truck was actually inspired by a farm stand truck that was displaying pumpkins. I originally was going to put the pumpkin load on it. I was building it for my club's annual contest at our December meeting, so a friend suggested a Christmas theme. And the rest is history!

Thanks ,nice truck and sign !

Jelly beans kind of scare me ,that could be a mess down the road ,but that would be about the right size :)

So. Anyone have a source for tractor tires or at least some sort of heavy treaded tire in the above pics. I could almost do this in a day or two, if I can keep the.........................

aww........who am I kidding? :lol::D:P

check your local goodwill/salvation army etc. i have found quite a few sets of tires in all sizes. sometimes you even get lucky and find some models :) that's where i got my original ratvega for $1.50! complete and unbuilt :D

• 4 months later...