Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walk, then Run

I'm not trying to start anything with you Skip, but this was the statement that at least mad me angry in that thread. It's water under the bridge to me now, I had my say and moved on. ;)

Oh, and thanks for noticing I haven't been on for most of this week Skip, my new blood pressure medicine has been causing some bad side effects this past week and I've been not feeling well. This has been the first time I've felt like even turning on my computer! :D

I have sent you a PM, and will not respond to this sort of talk in public any more. For the record, I was not talking about you.

Edited by sjordan2

Oh boy, this may be the end of the civility. Why does this have to happen? If people are over something, why do they rehash it? ;)

I tried to send you a PM on this subject, but got the following window:

The following errors were found

The member midnightprowler cannot receive any new messages

This personal message has not been sent

Anyway, I think it's interesting that I see a lot of "yeah man" responses to this thread by Jantrix, which includes basically the same comments from my thread about not finishing works in progress, yet I got intensely criticized for making such statements. And I also got intensely criticized for my thread on "civility," asking everyone to be nicer to each other, which resulted in so many nasty responses that it had to be locked.

Edited by sjordan2

This is going very well indeed gents. As a middle of the road builder I'm always sniping things from those here I admire. Be it a small item that needs work on my own builds, to tutorials about things that make me think "Wow, why didn't I think of that?" I've grown as a modeler from being here and exchanging ideas. I've never really received any harsh words about my builds but perhaps those that had something to say decided not to. And that's not always right. Say what you gotta say about my work, I can take it. It's a piece of plastic, not my progeny or some other creation I truly have deep feelings about. As a musician who writes music I've grown a thick skin due to such matters. In music, "Art" is very subjective. Not completely unlike what we do with plastic. I think it comes down to an emotional response when "higher" art is criticized. Music, painting, sculpting et all fall in this catagory, and it's difficult to remain objective when such things touch chords that perhaps this hobby does not. And not that this hobby cannot touch chords. I have witnessed it firsthand here on many occasions,

I think that my main thrust here is that the dialog is open, no one's panties are getting put into a twist. And there are thoughtful comments all around.

I see things in almost every build I have ever seen here that could probably be improved, certainly mine included. So what does a poster do? I comment when I feel the subject is worthy, keep my hands OFF the keyboard if I feel something is just plain unattactive. And give thoughtful praise to those I see improving over time.

We all have a right to our opines, it's how we voice them that makes the difference to those who receive our words.

The dialog continues.

Bob

As for me, I just forgot what all this was about.

:angry:

It was supposed to be about encouraging new modelers to learn the basics well before getting too involved in advanced detailing. Seems like the thread got overly involved in different areas.

As Salvador Dali said: "First, learn to paint like the masters. Then you can do anything you want."

Edited by sjordan2

Hey Gang, Hey Highway,

Matthew, sorry to hear you are not feeling well, hope you get back on your feet.... er' wheels soon. I hope nobody takes this topic off track, we have all played so nice for so long, that's why I gave cookies out!!!!

I am getting better with many thanks to all of the wonderful people here (and we're all wonderful, right Harry?) to the point that I almost posted my first work-in-progress sequence last month. I was so excited to share it with all of you, especially the finale, but I kept blurring the last few shots of my build while trying to juggle the model, the camera, and the hinge on top of the "stylish" garbage can in the kitchen. Guess I'm not quite ready yet. :) Even when it's bad, it is still fun!!

Mike

OK - I'm guilty of this.

My first truly complete build when returning to this wonderful hobby was not a careful kit build of a familiar kit.

It was virtually all fabricated hot-rod-roadster thing. Do a search for G-bucket.

I fabbed the frame. Hacked up a 60s Ford Galaxie. Fabbed a three link rear suspension. Since I didn't want to rob a VW front suspension from a kit I plan to build - so I fabbed that, too.

You know what I'm stuck on? Bold heads. Replicating bolt heads.

If I would have built a kit - like smart returnees would have done - I wouldn't need to replicate bolt heads so an exposed frame wouldn't look so bare.

I will finish the roadster. I am being lured by a vision I have about a Pro Street Vette - I hacked up the frame last week to fit the tires and get the stance - not exactly a beginner's move. I could finish the '49 Merc I chopped almost 20 years ago. Or the custom Camaro I started about the same time.

I have a vision and I just start on it. Sometimes I stretch my skills and other times I have no idea how I'm gonna get there. But I am determined to finish the projects I started- even those I started almost two decades ago.

I will be open to criticism - good or bad.

You-all have taught me so much already. Thanks.

Now I have some food for thought, too.

Tim- love the G-Bucket, I'd hate to see it stall over a cool detail like that!Check out Ma's Resin- he sells a sheet of 200-some resin bolt heads in various sizes, just slice 'em off and glue 'em on! Plastruct also makes lenghts of hexagonal rod that could be cut into pieces to create bolts. B)

Tim- love the G-Bucket, I'd hate to see it stall over a cool detail like that!Check out Ma's Resin- he sells a sheet of 200-some resin bolt heads in various sizes, just slice 'em off and glue 'em on! Plastruct also makes lenghts of hexagonal rod that could be cut into pieces to create bolts. B)

Chuck!

I have searched for the Plastruct stuff and cannot find it. I know they make it but my LHS can't even find it to order it. I did find some micro fasteners. I ordered drill bits so I can use them - I had used .039 drill for the three link- I need bigger holes for the fasteners. I also have some hexagonal beads that are just a bit too big for standing in for fasteners - they will make nice fittings, however.

The project is more stalled for the landscaping we are doing - that and me having to install my new Pace paint booth. we'll get rolling again soon!

The G-bucket will be completed!

I have searched for the Plastruct stuff and cannot find it. I know they make it but my LHS can't even find it to order it. I did find some micro fasteners. I ordered drill bits so I can use them - I had used .039 drill for the three link- I need bigger holes for the fasteners. I also have some hexagonal beads that are just a bit too big for standing in for fasteners - they will make nice fittings, however.

Sometime it's just easier not to dink around with a middle man, and order direct!

http://plastruct.com/Home.html

Click on the top link that says "Search/New Order" and search for "hex rods" and you'll get all the sizes the make. It's like $3.25 + S/H for ten 10in long rods in the retail pack...or 35 cents a piece for individual pieces.

Chuck!

The project is more stalled for the landscaping we are doing - that and me having to install my new Pace paint booth. we'll get rolling again soon!

The G-bucket will be completed!

Funny... one of my local shops carries it in stock, the other has ordered it for me on several occasions. :o

At any rate, glad to hear the G-Bucket will be a done deal... some day. B)

• 5 months later...

I myself was guilty of this when i got back into building models a few years back. Seeing the incredible work done by guys like Rommel,ScaleMaster and many others, I assumed I would be able to read the narrative, look at the pictures and skip the walking stage. I was so wrong..to the point where i expected myself to be able to paint and detail a model and have it look as good as the best of the best. It was so bad I stripped and repainted the same body at least a dozen times, and didn't finish one model in the first 2-3 years. I finally realized that all of the narrative and pictures in the world aren't a substitute for experience. So, while I'd still love to one day build like Rom, I know it isn't gonna happen until I've put in my time and ' paid my dues' so to speak. While there's nothing wrong with giving a thumbs up for effort, I dont think there's anything wrong with following that up with advice and pointers. I know when I get my own camera, I'll be posting my builds, and I'll be encouraging as much criticizm as people will be willing to share.

I think this is a great thread, and thank you to Jantrix for starting it.

I'm definitely guilty of this on quite a few of my builds, but I figure I would rather mess up a few times before I get something right than never try to do it. And thanks to this awesome forum if I can't figure something out, I can usually find the answer here.

This is a great thread, and, oddly, encouraging. It makes me feel like my builds are still worth posting, even if I'm not ready to wire a distributor or flock a carpet of chop a top yet. Just master the fundamentals and the rest will come with experience. Someone else also made a good point...about tools. The phrase "You don't need the Cadillac...the decked-out Caprice will do just fine" really stuck with me as well, and it's definitely influencing my purchase of tools and equipment in a positive, helpful way.

I recently started on a Ford hot rod with what I thought was easy detailing. I hit a few snags, but I'm undeterred. Now I'm going "back to basics" and building an MPC Zinger! just to gain experiece and FINISH SOMETHING. It also helps to pass the time while the Easy-Off is doing its job. :P

Love this thread! It should be a sticky in this forum and the noob forum. ;)

It makes me sad to see a model that has a ton of detail; tons of photoetch and aftermarket; and then I see decals silvered, ugly seams unsanded, etc. A model built very cleanly right from the box is better to look at than one with tons of detail built poorly. I guess most of us can say there are plenty of modelers we can beat, and plenty that are in another world. I think I'm very good until I see some of the builds here. The really really good ones make me either want to get way better ... or start a bon fire with the unstarted kits I have.

I have been following the try to build cleanly first, than add more as my skills improve.

I'm starting my 4th car model soon.

Another restraint I put on myself personally is , I will not buy aftermarket parts/photoetch. without trying to scratch build them myself first.

so far I have been able to scratch build everything I have been tempted to buy.

There are very few things that can't be made "in house" without a little effort and ingenuity.

A bunch of photoetch, aftermarket motors ..ect.. doesn't impress me like the amazing scratch work I see on here.

can't say I will 'never' use photo etch or aftermarket but I got a long way to go before I feel I need all that

Edited by scalenut

• 3 months later...

I, for one, am so happy that this thread did not digress into a war.

It's nice to see everyone put their $0.02 worth in this conversation and have a civil discussion.

I agree with what Rob originally posted.

I am guilty of not following thru on build threads. My problem is, that like most of us, I have modelers ADD and I have a tough time time sticking with a build to the end.

This explains why about 85% of my stash is half built. :lol:

I give the younger modelers who post build thread a TON of credit. I wish I would have had something like this at my disposal when I got into modeling hardcore in the late '70s.

I say to the junior modelers who are members here, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND KEEP COMING BACK!!! ^_^

Cheers, Ian

I've always been a fan of mastering the basics before taking on more challenging projects, but not everyone learns the same way, so you've got to find what works for you. I think Mark Taylor's basic building tutorial would've been a good starting point, so maybe there should be another such tutorial written.

FWIW, I don't think this is limited to "younger" members, and I doubt you intended to segregate younger from older builders, but we all can benefit from mastering the basics, regardless of age or how long each of us has been building.