Model Cars Magazine Forum

International R-190 ???

I just got a Hendrix resin IH R-190 cab. It's a nice casting but there isn't an interior, not a complaint I knew that when I ordered it. I was wondering if anyone had ideas for the interior, I'm sure I can fabricate something but a good starting point would be nice.

Thanks

Aaron

Trace the cab on sheet styrene then cut out the pattern take into consideration the thickness of the cab and adjust your cut so the floor fits snug. This will take a few attempts to get it right. Add interior components from a donor kit as needed. I've been doing this on various AMT truck kits eleminating the interior tub. Here's a picture of just that. This is an AMT 359 I've been working on now about 90% completed (NOT THE SET BACK FRONT AXLE 359 in a recent post)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73989136

I figured it wouldn't be too hard to make a down and dirty interior but thats actually really nice and seems fairly simple. I guess I'll give it a try, once I get a couple of my work in progress stuff done, Thanks.

Now I guess I need to start searching for R-190 interior pics, guess I'm off to Tim's and Hanks truck sites. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Not having much luck finding stuff for the R-190. I'm planning on getting a book on old IH trucks but in the mean time does anyone know of a site with some interior pics or know of a similar truck that has some interior shots?

Also for the motor all I've found is it used a large (400-500 cid) gas V-8, Since the hood won't be opening I'm thinking about using the engine from a Ford C cab (approximate size and shape?) unless that would be way off. The grill has fairly large openings so I don't want to go curbside on it. Anyone know what color IH used on their motors in the 50's?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Aaron,

I grew up around those old R-Models, the company my Dad drove for had about 20 of them! The first semi I ever drove was a '57 with tandem rear ends. I was 14 yrs old! It had a 501 Red Diamond straight six in it, with a five speed main transmission and a three speed auxilary.

I'm building one myself, and I'm planning to use a Cummins out of an AMT kit. The engine color was red on this engine. I think the V-8s were red, also. The big V-8's I've seen were 549 C.I.. The engine out of the C-Series Ford or even the Louisville would probably work, since you shouldn't be able to see the top side of it.

Here's a link that may be of help:

http://www.oldihc.org

I checked out your website. I like the fire and rescue trucks you've built! Especially the older ones!

Thanks, I'm planning on doing 2 of these one as a pumper (2 axle) and one as a pumper-tanker (3 axle), assuming the first one goes well. It took awhile but I found an R-190 pumper on ebay that had some shots of the cab interior and motor, the motor was very dirty though so its handy to know they were red, you really couldn't tell in the pics I saw.

That website you listed will be handy too, maybe not so much for this build but I've got my eye on a 1-1 1939 International pickup, that site looks really handy if I do get it.

I like building the older stuff too, the new stuff is nice but there isn't a new truck that can compare with the trucks from the 40-60's. :lol: