Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who makes these ?

I am looking for at least (6) MC wire type wheels and tires . Preferably the tires in Resin . I need 4 for an Olds Curved Dash I am Scratch Building . Another two for a Dragster circa the early '60's . The Stereamliner from the AMT Double Dragster . I saw these posted here awhile back . Sent a PM to where these are available and did not get an answer . Ones Required parts are not quite the diameter of a Passenger Car Tire . I only want 1/25 Scale please .

What scale are you building, and what wheel diameters are you looking for? The curved-dash Olds would require some pretty exact dimensions, and could probably be sourced from a variety of kits and suppliers. Wire wheels might come from bike kits or diecasts, but you're probably better off with wooden spoke wheels for that one from lots of other kits, which would be most common for that particular car.

Edited by sjordan2

I am looking for at least (6) MC wire type wheels and tires . Preferably the tires in Resin . I need 4 for an Olds Curved Dash I am Scratch Building . Another two for a Dragster circa the early '60's . The Stereamliner from the AMT Double Dragster . I saw these posted here awhile back . Sent a PM to where these are available and did not get an answer . Ones Required parts are not quite the diameter of a Passenger Car Tire . I only want 1/25 Scale please .

John,

Wire wheels for a Curved Dash Oldsmobile probably won't be found in 1/25 scale, simply because no 1/25 scale model kits of cars which could have been fitted with wire wheels from that era have ever been made, making this request most likely one for a set of scratchbuilt wheels. That said, the vast majority of 1902-1905 Oldsmobile 2-cylinder cars (the Curved Dash model) were fitted at the factory with wooden artillery style wheels. The next problem would be a matter of size: Automobile wheels and tires of that era were much larger in diameter than any modern-day motorcycle (or even drag car front wires)--with rim diameters probably larger than 24".

It might be easier to fit your scratchbuild with wooden wheels, and I'd suggest taking a look at the front wheels from the AMT or Lesney-AMT 1907 Thomas Flyer. Those are a very believable size, and have the smooth, treadless high pressure pneumatic tires typical of the years before 1910. Hard to find? Might be, maybe, but those wheels would get my vote.

Art