Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car Of Tomorrow

FUSIONBOY

Is there any talk from the model company's about making the COT in kit form?

Since the body shapes are all the same and the only diffrences are in the nose, rear cap and engine it should be pretty cost effective.

All I've heard is that the fees Nascar would charge Revell or any of the other model makers would not make it cost effective to produce a model of the COT. Our only hope is that the Resin casters can come up with a body that can be used with the 07 Revell nascar kits with of course some modifications to the chassis to make the body fit over it. "Mikes Decals" makes an 08 Chevy Resin Cot body but so far I haven't seen any finished models using it. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze23f44/mikesdecals/id434.html

Edited by MarkJ

Don't hold out for a plastic kit of the COToday.....NASCAR wants $$, Manufactures want $$, Teams want $$$$ and each driver wants $$$....so a kit would have to cost $50....and thus they could not sell enough to cover cost and make a profit. Look to resin guys or convert die cast.

Pretty sad how NASCAR has morphed from a down-home, populist-appeal sport practiced and enjoyed by regular old folks on the weekend to this huge corporate cash-generating monster...the money being so all-powerful and all-controlling that we can't even get a lousy scale model of a current NASCAR racer due to the ridiculous greed being shown by everyone involved in today's NASCAR.

I've never been a fan, but I think the "good old days" of NASCAR were a whole lot better than what passes for "stock car racing" today... :unsure:

Pretty sad how NASCAR has morphed from a down-home, populist-appeal sport practiced and enjoyed by regular old folks on the weekend to this huge corporate cash-generating monster...the money being so all-powerful and all-controlling that we can't even get a lousy scale model of a current NASCAR racer due to the ridiculous greed being shown by everyone involved in today's NASCAR.

I've never been a fan, but I think the "good old days" of NASCAR were a whole lot better than what passes for "stock car racing" today... :lol:

Just like ANY sport these days....... Football is a bit guilty of the almighty dollar as well and has become very decisive in their airing of specific games during the season. I recall the birth of the NFL network being their CASH MONSTER. Heck, if you have Brighthouse cable and not verizon you cant even get the NFL NETWORK. Apparently Verizon was willing to shell out the money to provide the NFL NETWORK for their customers making it a big competition amongst the cable providers... My point being this.... ALL SPORTS are becoming giant cash monsters.... its the way the world turns...

As far as the COT car, I personally like the thing.... it looks killer on the track and that rear wing saved alot of loose drivers at daytona. If Revell does not produce it its their loss....

Mike from Mikes decals has the Impala SS body on his site right now and 88 decals being produced as I speak.... there will be more to come as well so not all is lost!!

DaveT

Just like ANY sport these days....... Football is a bit guilty of the almighty dollar as well and has become very decisive in their airing of specific games during the season. I recall the birth of the NFL network being their CASH MONSTER. Heck, if you have Brighthouse cable and not verizon you cant even get the NFL NETWORK. Apparently Verizon was willing to shell out the money to provide the NFL NETWORK for their customers making it a big competition amongst the cable providers... My point being this.... ALL SPORTS are becoming giant cash monsters.... its the way the world turns...

As far as the COT car, I personally like the thing.... it looks killer on the track and that rear wing saved alot of loose drivers at daytona. If Revell does not produce it its their loss....

Mike from Mikes decals has the Impala SS body on his site right now and 88 decals being produced as I speak.... there will be more to come as well so not all is lost!!

DaveT

I totally agree.The Cot car looks alot more like the actual cars on the road compared to the droop nosed anteaters that have been being used for the last few years. The fact that its harder to drive will also make evident who the best drivers are.

Should not bother you.... your anti nascar anyways....

Not "anti NASCAR'...just not interested in it. There's a difference between not having any interest in something and being actively "against" it.

I feel the same way about F1...no interest whatsoever, but I'm certainly not "against" it. Let 'em race...they don't need me!

My hope is that someone with ...cash, guts and willpower will resurrect Trans-Am

racing... With the return of the Camaro and Challenger, Mustang would have some playmates

Hey Harry there's you a subject for S-Pad....Retro Rides for Trans-AM of Tomorrow!!!!

My hope is that someone with ...cash, guts and willpower will resurrect Trans-Am

racing... With the return of the Camaro and Challenger, Mustang would have some playmates

Hey Harry there's you a subject for S-Pad....Retro Rides for Trans-AM of Tomorrow!!!!

That's not a bad idea... :lol:

I am so tired of $$$$$ being the driving force behind everything. The manufactures that charge a kings ransom for using there name on stuff is crazy. how many of the models we wanted to see produced were axed because of the legal garbage the companys have to go through,and the $$$$ required to fill all the hands that are sticking out when some one even mentions that a product is in the pipeline for consideration.

sorry but i'm old school when it comes to right and wrong , and I just think it's wrong when a company charges to put thier name on something that is going to be packaged and put on a shelf for all to see, is'nt that free advertising?

I would like to say that Mikes decals is a top notch place to deal with, I bought stuff from the web site and everything was handled quickly, and i received the items in good shape and quicker than they said to expect them to show up.

The no decal idea would be great! it would give other companies the job of getting the ok from the big wigs and get us the generic cars that I at least would prefer. also less cost for box art and all the after market companies make the contingancey decals for thier sheets anyway.

I have the genetic defect of the oil gene in me , I've been around cars and racing all my life. I was a GM mechanic till I strayed to the heavy equipment field and lost a wrestling match with a 8 ton machine. now I look up and find the parts that keep Toyota's on the road. I just can't stay away from the automotive shops and that is what has always influenced my building tatses.

I am so tired of $$$$$ being the driving force behind everything. The manufactures that charge a kings ransom for using there name on stuff is crazy. how many of the models we wanted to see produced were axed because of the legal garbage the companys have to go through,and the $$$$ required to fill all the hands that are sticking out when some one even mentions that a product is in the pipeline for consideration.

sorry but i'm old school when it comes to right and wrong , and I just think it's wrong when a company charges to put thier name on something that is going to be packaged and put on a shelf for all to see, is'nt that free advertising?

I would like to say that Mikes decals is a top notch place to deal with, I bought stuff from the web site and everything was handled quickly, and i received the items in good shape and quicker than they said to expect them to show up.

DING DING DING DING, right. Nice man me to. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This is the email I got from Revell a few days ago, basically the same thing that has been said here. The ending at least leaves a little hope. She could be blowing smoke though.

Hello Mr. Sargent,

Thank you for contacting Revell. We appreciate the interest in our kits.

As far as the NASCAR COT and a generic type kit. It would seem to be a good idea. However, part of making Nascar and other model kits is the licensing requirements and agreements that we have to adhere to. Some of these agreements would restrict us from making the generic type models.

For the COT, we may be producing later this year or into next year. But for now, the COT kit is not being released.

Thank you again for your input. If we can assist you any further, please contact us again.

Regards,

Joyce Collier

People these day's are to spoiled and dependen't on these model company's to make everything for them. I say if they don't sell it or make it , make it yourself that's what I do. :lol: got to get your hand's dirty sooner or later.

but that's just my 2 cent's.

ANTHONY R.

$$$$ It has been the distruction of many good companies, products and people, and will be the demise of NASCAR, too.

They are not going to go away, but they are already loosing their death grip they once had. They probably peaked 99-2000?

I don't think it's free advertising, but it is branding, which is worth something.

I don't think any Goodyears, Monty Carlos, Fusions, etc. where sold because of a model kit on the self; however, it does keep those name brands in another place they would otherwise be.

People these day's are to spoiled and dependen't on these model company's to make everything for them. I say if they don't sell it or make it , make it yourself that's what I do. B) got to get your hand's dirty sooner or later.

but that's just my 2 cent's.

ANTHONY R.

Anthony - nothing for nothing, but the amount of time and energy to re-create a COT from a previous generation NASCAR would be like trying to make a 1970 Camaro from a '69. People would most likely not try that, and would rather wait till a 70 was molded. Now, people have tried making the COT from other cars before the resin came out, and they looked ok... Me personally, I would like to buy the resin. Also, as you may know, Nascar builders build many of the same make and year. I couldn't imagine having to scratch build 7 or 8 COTs....! Just my 2 pennies as well....

Jamie