Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lee Shepherds 83 Pro Stock Camaro

Reeves Racing

This is a box stock build of the Monogram Shepherd Camaro kit. I built the original kit as a kid but it didn't survive.

It was always one of my favorite builds so I built it again using the re-released "Mean and Nasty" kit and Slixx decals.

The Mean and Nasty kit has tinted glass so I used the clear tree from a Ricky Smith Firebird kit.

The Mean and Nasty also has a gold chrome tree instead of the dull coated chrome tree of the original kit.

I stripped all the chrome except for the valve covers and redid it with Alclad II Polished Aluminum.

I used Duplicolor for the paint. I did Lee's 79 Camaro a few years back.

DSC04033.jpg

DSC04032.jpg

DSC04020.jpg

DSC04023.jpg

DSC04024.jpg

DSC04025.jpg

DSC04021.jpg

DSC04034.jpg

Nice looking model you have there.

The Reher Morrison '83 Camaro was the first "modern" Pro Stock model I attempted back in the day together with Bob Glidden's Chief Auto Parts/7-Eleven Thunderbird, I still have it on my shelf but it's not nearly as nice as yours.

Great work, as always you have a very clean building style (if you know what I mean).

Thanks Brett. I guess you could call my builds clean but not very detailed.

When I try to do much more than plug wires they start looking like blobs of glue. I am not very good at attaching the small stuff so that it will stay on and end up putting too much CA on and ruining what looked better before I tried to add more detail. I really admire the super detailed builds. Your 62 Bel Air is one of my favorites.

I don't have the skill (or the extra $ to buy all the extra detail bits) to detail one all out like a lot of you guys do.

All of my builds end up on a shelf in my office at work and the crowd that sees them there think I am just this awesome modeler LOL.

If they saw you guy's work they would be blown away.

Edited by seveeRRacing

:lol: Better to be a clean builder than a detailed glue bomber B). Thanks for the pat on the back regarding the 62, for some reason that builds p ing me off at the moment. No, no dollars being spent here other than plug wires (brought by the reel,cheaper that way) :blink:.90 percent of what I do is scratchbuilt or modified, and every things done as cheaply as I can ie BMF is cut as close to size as posible no as to not waste it ( nearly $20 a sheet here) plug wires are cut with as little to spare so there's little to no offcuts. Detail wire is all crafters or beading wire (much cheaper than modelers though I'm sure its the same stuff). But now that I've dragged you way off topic (sorry), once again great looking car man!

Awesome build of one of the best looking prostock cars of all-time! I wish they would re issue those camaro kits. How did you do the tire letters?

I used decals and then did a wash with grey and tan paint thinned out with lacquer thinner.

Its a trick I learned from looking at builds by the great John Teresi here on MCM.

Edited by seveeRRacing

Nice job with the Camaro, I like the paintjob and decals. They are very nicely in place, looks like painted on. Engine is also very nice, I like the detailing on it. Chassis is great also, this means that I must get this kit to my hands. :lol: Nice work with it B) !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Michael!

One other difference Terry is that the Mean and Nasty kit is moulded in black plastic instead of white. (The Iaconio kit may be moulded in yellow) Revell did a repop of most of their 80s pro stock kits as "pro street" with the only difference being kitchy decals and the tented clear tree and gold chrome tree. There is a Firebird, a Cutlass, and a Thunderbird. Some of them have "match racer" in the new title.

One other difference Terry is that the Mean and Nasty kit is moulded in black plastic instead of white. (The Iaconio kit may be moulded in yellow) Revell did a repop of most of their 80s pro stock kits as "pro street" with the only difference being kitchy decals and the tented clear tree and gold chrome tree. There is a Firebird, a Cutlass, and a Thunderbird. Some of them have "match racer" in the new title.

Yes...my Iaconio is indeed molded in yellow!