Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 Ford SOHC engine source

I am looking for a good source for a Ford 427 SOHC engine in 1/24 or 1/25 scale. I have some miscellaneous valve covers in my parts box, some with a pebbly texture and a bit larger than others, some smooth, others with ribbed areas. No matching engines, unfortunately! Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially aftermarket sources, since I don't like to cannibalize a kit if I can avoid it! :) :twisted:

Guest zebm1

Tha Model King/ AMT special kits of 1965 A/FX drag racers in 1/25th scale has a series of 427 SOHCs. I have tha Daddy Warbucks A/FX kit.

zeb

chevellekid, thanks for the offer. I have several of the 427 side oilers in the Monogram 427 Cobra kits- great engine, but a pushrod engine with one camshaft in the valley under the intake manifold. I don't think a SOHC 427 Ford made it to the parts pack series- the ones I've seen were all pushrod single cammers. Thanks for all the tips for kit sources for this engine- this is what modeling friends and the forums are all about! :D:D

• 3 months later...

I think this is my first post on this forum.

The Cobra kit pictured above has what is known as a 427 Wedge (the standard 427 configuration). The "Cammer" has a camshaft on each head and requires wide valve covers. The AMT A/FX Fords have Cammers. The AMT 1933 Willys has a Cammer. The MPC/AMT flip nose Mustang has a Cammer. The AMT Lil' Gasser, Lil' Yeller and Lil' Mixer have Cammers. The AMT 1966 and 1969 Galaxies have Cammers. The Monogram Trantula has a Cammer. The Revell Willys pickup has a Cammer, as do some other drag cars in that series, like the Henry J and the Austin. The Polar Lights Gas Rhonda Mustang has a Cammer. The 60's MPC Ford and Mercury Funny Cars had Cammers. The boat in the Model King AMT 1970 Pontiac has a Cammer.

The Revell Parts Pack from 1964 had a 427 Wedge.

Tracy

Tracy, Welcome to MCM Forums and I agree with you. Think you nailed the list... except that the Polar Lights Cammer looks pretty bad and... there is a Cammer in the old IMC 1948 Ford kit and the AMT Willys in my opinion is the very best example!

I don't know anything about engines, but....is this what you are looking for? I was so impressed with this I bought one. From Replicas and Minatures of Maryland.

LIARS2006146-vi.jpg

LIARS2006147-vi.jpg

LIARS2006148-vi.jpg

If that isn't right...well...sorry for not really adding anything then.

PS Sorry the pics are a little out of focus. It was a bit dark in Norm's corner of the room, and I hadn't figured out how to turn on my flash yet at that time...D'oh!

Bill, that's a Ford Boss 429 availabe in Mustangs in 1969 and 1970 and used in NASCAR in those years, too. The 427 SOHC (single OverHead Cam) was only available "over the counter". It was designed in 1965 for NASCAR but was banned. The first public appearance was in a 1964 Galaxie test mule being driven around at the 1965 (I think) Indy 500. It showed up in many drag racing vehicles thrugh the early 70's.

I've been searching for the best FE engine components to produce a resin kit capable of producing two of any FE engine ever built. This would include the 352, 360, 390 (and 390 GT), 410, 428 (including PI, CJ and SCJ) and of course the 427 Low Riser, Medium Riser, High Riser, Tunnel Port and SOHC.

At one time I was building a drag car and had 5 428 CJ's in my garage. I know my way around Ford engines.

And Jairus, that's my project Robin sent to you in an email the other day, BTW.

Tracy

I think this is the engine you all are talking about. While it's far from stock, you get the idea. To get an accurate 427 cammer you will need to kitbash(at least that's what I was told when I was building this project) so that's what I did. I forgot to write down the specifics, but I think the block is from the revell '64 TBolt, I can't remember where I got the valve covers and front cover.

P1010587-vi.jpg

P1010582-vi.jpg

Since the body was all Chevy and Chrysler i had to have a Ford powerplant.

http://public.fotki.com/crstan/in-depth_pr...nstans_cruiser/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a great response! Look at all the info in just one topic! This is what the forum is all about. Thanks to everyone who contributed, and thanks especially for the photos! I had been seriously misled into thinking the Boss 429 covers were for the cammer engine, now I know the difference. I still like the Boss 429 engine, I'm building one now for my double deuce project with dual ignition and two cases from the AMT 57 Chevy "S.C.O.T" supercharger combined into one unit, topped off with 4 Weber carbs and with a scratchbuilt exhaust system. I'll post some pix when it's a little further along. :rolleyes::D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I don't know anything about engines, but....is this what you are looking for? I was so impressed with this I bought one. From Replicas and Minatures of Maryland.

LIARS2006146-vi.jpg

LIARS2006147-vi.jpg

LIARS2006148-vi.jpg

If that isn't right...well...sorry for not really adding anything then.

PS Sorry the pics are a little out of focus. It was a bit dark in Norm's corner of the room, and I hadn't figured out how to turn on my flash yet at that time...D'oh!

does the intake come with it?

What's up with the SOHC. I always heard it referred to as DOHC for double over-head cam? Not much of a Ford guy, that's just the way I've always heard it & read it. If they are 2 different configurations, I'm very curious to know the difference.

Edited by Bartster

What's up with the SOHC. I always heard it referred to as DOHC for double over-head cam? Not much of a Ford guy, that's just the way I've always heard it & read it. If they are 2 different configurations, I'm very curious to know the difference.

DOHC refers to an engine that has 2 camshafts per head. Common on inline 4 and 6 cylinders. If you had a DOHC v-8 you would 4 cams all together ( 1 exhaust and 1 intake cam per head )

Great response guys, thanks. I'll have to find a AMT willys. Always liked the look of the motor.

DOHC refers to an engine that has 2 camshafts per head. Common on inline 4 and 6 cylinders. If you had a DOHC v-8 you would 4 cams all together ( 1 exhaust and 1 intake cam per head )

Great response guys, thanks. I'll have to find a AMT willys. Always liked the look of the motor.

Gotcha. I always assumed 2 cams meant DOHC, not necessarily 2 per head, lol. Thanks!

• 4 years later...

To be perfectly honest, and I AM a 1/25 427 SOHC fanatic, the ONLY Cammer engine worth building is the one you find in the JoHan Maverick style bodied Pro Stockers.  The front cam drive block cover is SPOT ON and the Cam Covers are perfect.  A lot of JoHan Ford stuff included parts to build either the BOSS 429 or the Cammer as the kits shared blocks/heads.  The BOSS valve covers are VERY good as well, but I would have to tip my hat to AMT's version, either chromed or not.  They have very aggressive mold lines and are huge.  The ones found in the Bob Glidden T-Bird Pro Stock kits are equally good l as they have better detail(PLUS, if you're going to build a Ford BOSS or Fontana Chevy Hemi[use Chrysler 392 valve covers), this is THE engine to use as Bill Gibson appears to be out of the 1/25 engine business(Thank God I bought 2 of his McGee DOHC Nitro motors several years ago).  Most 427 SOHC cam covers out there are jokes as the have little or no ID markings and are usually too skinny to be a real 1/25 representative.  If all the parts I've collected over 50+ years were real and not styrene or resin, I wouldn't know what to do with all the money.

DOHC:  Dual Overhead Cam (one cam actuating the intake valves, the other the exhaust valves).  SOHC:  Single Overhead Cam (camshaft actuating both intake and exhaust vavles.

Art