Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevelle SS

Love this car but I have read many forums indicating how many people wish Revell would do a nice 1/25 scale, I have seen some nice Revel snap kits done but what about the Revell 1/25 Chevelle SS Donk 3 in 1 kit, would this not be a nice basis to build a sweet 70 Chevelle SS?

The Revell '70 Chevelle is 1/24 scale. There are some problems with that kit, but not too bad. AMT has a 1/25 '70 Chevelle and as far as looks go, is better than the Revell kit in my opinion. Neither one have a very good chassis. But, a little work will help either one. A lot of people swap the chassis from the AMT '69 Olds under the AMT Chevelle.

The worst problem with the Revell version is the horrible tool parting-line in the feature lines on the front fenders. It takes some pretty careful bodywork to make a really nice model. The Revell chassis isn't really bad actually, no molded-in exhausts or suspension (though the exhaust system is molded in one piece with half of the rear axle, easy enough to fix) and will detail quite nicely. The engine in the Revell kit is a bit on the blobular side, and the exhaust potrs run on some wonky angle; again, easy enough to correct with a little effort.