Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24 Chevy Chassis Swap ?

Folks,

Has anyone on the board swapped chassis between these two kits ? I'm wondering if the 1956 Chevy chassis which I DON'T HAVE, is better looking than the chassis under the '55 Chevy that I don't have ?

post-4416-0-87173000-1357435658_thumb.jp

post-4416-0-21507100-1357435674_thumb.jp

Edited by Pete L.

You can do more with the 56 and the new 57 chassis then you can with the molded in stuff that the 55 has. You may want to buy the new 56 or a black widow 57 kit just for the chassis and rework it a little to fit. This will let you do your own exhaust and a few other great stuff.

The kits you have posted ate both older Monogram 1/24 scale kits, and should interchange fairly easily. The 56 is the newer tool and should be better detailed, but I don't have them to compare. Most of those older Monogram kits are simple with low parts counts. The newer Revell kits are much better but they are 1/25 scale and will be undersized if you try to kitbash with 1/24 scale kits.

I'm wondering if the 1956 Chevy chassis which I DON'T HAVE, is better looking than the chassis under the '55 Chevy that I don't have ?

No, it's just as bad as the 1/24 Monogram '55 chassis, with molded in mufflers and exhaust. The '56 is much closer to stock, but as mentioned above, there are far better options for either a '55 or '56 Chevy build, and neither of the Monogram kits are one of those better options. ^_^

Fellas,

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to stay with 1/24 scale parts. I've been on a Monogram 1/24 kick for a while now, two or three years I'd say.

It started with the Chaparral 2D kit and built a slot car version (still looking for suitable front wheel inserts), collecting parts for a semi accurate copy of their yellow '55 Chevy bodied slot car and doing a box stock build of the '32 "Duece" PC kit. The most recently completed build being another box stock kit, the"Black Widow" model.

Currently I'm trying to finish up a version of their "Little Deuce" using currently or recently available Monogram kit parts, again the 1/24 scale versions, repops of the 1960's releases.

Edited by Pete L.

I could be wrong, but I think the street version '55 has the same chassis as the '57. I haven't seen the '56 or '57 chassis in a long time, but I'm pretty sure they all have the molded in exhaust. Monogram made a very nice '55 Chevy convertible at one time. I think it's 1/25 scale though.

Fellas,

I have to gather all of the Monnogram tri-five kits I have and see what's what...some are in the cellar (build area) and some in the attic (storage area) but I do wish to stay with the 1/24 scale cars.

I wonder what the Monogran 1/24 1957 Chevy would look like using the chassis/drivetrain from the1/24 " BAD MAN" '55 kit ? or for that matter, how about the 1/24 1956 Chevy with the Bam Man drivetrain/chassis ???

Thanks for everyones input, :):):)

Pete

Edited by Pete L.

I was thinking the exact same thing Pete! Now, I have an excuse to buy a couple of the "Badman" kits! Of course, I'll have to get the '56 and '57 also. I think it'll make for some cool kit bashing.

Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm trying to stay 1/24 scale Monogram, don't ask me why. It's some kind of "thing" that I'm going through for a few years now . :blink: As I said above I have to get upstairs into my attic to see what's up there in the way of 1/24 scale Monogram tri-fives.

You know, getting older has some advantages. Everytime I get up to the attic I find model kits that I forgot I had ... on the negative side I wind up buying doubles, and in one instance TRIPLES of the same kit because I have CRS ! :blink::blink::blink:

Pete L.

Edited by Pete L.

Fellas,

Thanks to Craig, this is the kit which may donate it's chassis to my "Bad Man/Street Machine Monogram '55 Chevy build.

The kit also has several decent competition parts, roll bar w/fire extinqisher, a set of small block headrers and a really nice scatershield, a snorkel style hood scoop and some daisy type mags.

post-4416-0-82738200-1357611163_thumb.jpNow all I've got to do is finish up the '32 roadster (Little Deuce type) build on the bench.

Edited by Pete L.

Could you take a photo of the chassis for us Pete? I would like to see exactly what it looks like. It's been a long time since I've owned/seen that kit. I had one many moons ago,but it suffered a tragic fate.

Roger,

Some pics of the chassis, the red one is from Monogram's 1/24scale '57 Chevy

the yellow one if from the Badman 1/24 scale '55 Chevy

the black one is from the Street Machine '55 Chevy, same as the Badman

The black chassis has some modifications underway already.

Quite a difference between the two, I wonder what the 1/24 scale '56 Chevy chassis looks like ?post-4416-0-97274100-1357859344_thumb.jppost-4416-0-72573700-1357859355_thumb.jp