Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Tale of Two Cudas

jjsipes

Thanks guys. Yes I know about the primer and overspray on the underside of the car but, the reference picture of said car I was using and frankly a whole lot of restored cars have the complete underside painted body color. It seems with Mopars there wasn't no exact way of doing things which is what I like about them, diffferent plants, different ways of doing a car on the assembly lines from what I have found and read. I have done the primer and factory overspray on numerous models but, I like this look on certain cars. I've been debating whether to blacken out the wheelwells or not. Don't know yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my Lemon Twist Cuda finished, need to get some pics. Working on trying to complete my Mod Top Cuda now. I do have one of the Sox & Martin Cuda kits now and have been messy around with trying to get it painted up as well.

Thanks guys. Yes I know about the primer and overspray on the underside of the car but, the reference picture of said car I was using and frankly a whole lot of restored cars have the complete underside painted body color. It seems with Mopars there wasn't no exact way of doing things which is what I like about them, diffferent plants, different ways of doing a car on the assembly lines from what I have found and read. I have done the primer and factory overspray on numerous models but, I like this look on certain cars. I've been debating whether to blacken out the wheelwells or not. Don't know yet.

these cudas are looking really great. good job on all of them. as far as "overspray" and undercoating on the wheels wells. I understand all about that, my opinion would be not to do it. I love over-restored cars.....

keep up the good work Jason.

Edited by tubbs

I went on Classic Industries website and ordered interior paint thru them, bit pricey but it is a 12 oz can that I can use on other models. Sprayed great and did not etch. Then I sprayed some Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear over it to try and make it look alittle more like vinyl.

That's a good tip. I usually grab what I can from the car dealers for rods and stuff. But I do need to get some earlier factory colors. They can't all be black or white lol

I agree. I plan on making a triple green 71 Charger after watching Graveyard Carz. Love the look of that Charger on the show in season 1. I have the Charger and have already glued the modelings on for the vinyl top just need to come up with a green for the top. I plan on using the same interior green on the Charger as I have used on the Cuda. Just looking for some different things to put on my shelf.

• 1 month later...

Finally got back on the Mod Top. Just finished assembly and need to do some touch up. I will try and get some pics up very soon. Alot of people have talked about the Revell 70 Cuda but , I have built 3 of them so far and I love the kit. Is it perfect no but it is still a very presentable model. It is much better then there prior attempts. Thank you Revell.

Some good work you're doing on these 'cudas but can I ask, are you making them factory correct because if you are then these chassis shouldn't be painted ( fully ) in body colour. All Mopar chassis were primered & had body colour over spray along the sides & the rear wheel tubs were painted with black protective type paint

A funny thing... I've had a bunch of 1960s and 1970s Valiants and Barracudas. All but two of the cars I owned, two Valiants didn't have factory undercoat on them. The rest of the cars did, including my '73 Barracuda. That is a thick wrinkle finish, a dirt brown color that I believe was done after the cars were painted. Or at least of all the cars I owned, they were old enough that I had no factory body paint on the chassis!

73cuda1-vi.jpg

I'm very interested in the 1970 Barracuda kit since this was my daily driver back in the day. I'd like to combine the new kit with the proper body parts from the old '73 kit to create my old ride. One of the issues with the old kit was that the door handle was huge, and if I tracked the factory rub strip from the top of the side lights, it smacked into the door handle.. that should not be there!