Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jolly Roger Merc - back on the bench 8/30/15

Jantrix

I recall a writeup in Blueprinter Magazine way back when...may have been SAE, I can't remember, it's been 25 years ago, anyway, they had a writeup on doing a pirate map paint job on a snap tite chevy that was really trick. They were highlighting the use of a quill pen to do the pinstriping. The end result was a GEORGEOUS pirate map themed truck. I'll try and find it tonight when I get home.

-Ken

Well 'ol Bones is done. This took quite a bit manipulation. I had him more or less sitting up originally and he looked kinda cool but I forgot one very important detail. This is a chopped Merc. The canvas top would not fit with his bean sticking up. Here he is now, in a very reclined but uncomfortable position.

2012-11-17105033.jpg

2012-11-17102859.jpg

2012-11-17102958.jpg

Many thanks to Rich Manson (no relation, I hope) for the excellent steins which when drilled out made for an excellent pewter mug. The knife is a cut and filed down sword from a Dungeons and Dragons figurine.

More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

I've just joined this forum, and your jolly interesting build is one of the first I've looked through. YOU'RE NUTS! But it's brilliant all the same. The material on the door cards looks better than flocking in my opinion and I'll try that some time. If a '49 Merc ever cruised through the dark streets of a Cornish town close to midnight, I think it might just look like this. Utterly brilliant!

Guys, I need an honest critique here guys. Please pull no punches. You cannot hurt my feelings.

Here is the starboard side of the Jolly Roger featuring some really lousy paint work on my part. Since I'm using craft acrylics I can wipe it off and do it again before it sets too much and this is like my fifth try. It's just not going to get any better I'm afraid. I'm just not that good at freehand painting. From a foot or more away she looks okay but up close (like a contest judge might get) she shows her lack of refinement. What do you think? Maybe make some small templates and do the trees and stuff that way?

2012-11-18144856.jpg

Interesting paint scheme, Rob. I think it needs to be yellowed in the background, like a papyrus colour to give it the papyrus or clothe map look. Could take some more work to add more details, like a compass (indicating "north"), maybe a ship, pirate skulls of course, land and water, etc.

What's that red thing next to the palm tree? I think you need an "X marks the spot" somewhere. Templates that small must be difficult, but they can be done. I've seen Fatkidd make them. Where that dashed line takes a sharp turn - shouldn't there be a dot or something? It's been some time since I've seen a treasure map.

Rob, being honest. I like it. Think about this. If it were a real treasure map trees would not be detailed. Stuff like that was used for landmarks and nothing else. Honestly, Crudely drawn is way better. I don't believe pirates were into detail.

Tony - the hood will feature a compass rose. Painted or decal, I'm not sure yet.

Jim- the spot next to the center palm tree represents a hole in the map. I have decided not to add a X to the map, because the journey is the point.

Jacen- I figured this forum had already figured that out.

Joshua- Thanks man.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Just went through every post on every page and I have to say Rob, you're one imaginative and talented builder. Love this theme. I was going through my local Ace hardware yesterday and they have their holiday buildings out for sale along with the accompanying figures which look to be close to the correct scale. I believe I saw a parrot or two in amongst the accessories.

Is your driver's first mate glued in? Because he could use a wooden peg leg and some tattered clothing like a vest and some scarves. Maybe a worn out pirate hat.

Arrrgggghhhh!!

My honest critique, Rob, is that it is a totally DIFFERENT build, one of a kind. So much of it reminds me of what Hollywood Jim would do in terms of all the great details. Personally, all the white space of the map should have a bit of weathering, like it's an old map. I am thinking sepia. I am thinking of those great pirate templates CRAIG FRASER released a couple of years ago. A few stains on the white surface of the paper woud look really cool, and of course a couple of skulls here and there would also add more flavor.

Is your driver's first mate glued in? Because he could use a wooden peg leg and some tattered clothing like a vest and some scarves. Maybe a worn out pirate hat.

I may yet do some more with the former first mate, but I want to finish the rest of the build first.

Freehand is easy if you have a steady hand but I now I do not have a steady hand.

Ever since my carpal tunnel release surgeries my hands are a lot less steady then they used to be, but honestly I was never that good at freehanding.

Edited by Jantrix

My honest critique, Rob, is that it is a totally DIFFERENT build, one of a kind. So much of it reminds me of what Hollywood Jim would do in terms of all the great details. Personally, all the white space of the map should have a bit of weathering, like it's an old map. I am thinking sepia. I am thinking of those great pirate templates CRAIG FRASER released a couple of years ago. A few stains on the white surface of the paper woud look really cool, and of course a couple of skulls here and there would also add more flavor.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. Jim's work was a real eye opener for me and really inspired and motivated me. I'm not sure how to go about the sepia idea, but I do intend to weather the "parchment" a bit. I'm just not sure how my hand painted details look. I'm no real happy with them, but I don't know how to do any better either.

Ideas welcome.