Model Cars Magazine Forum

2011 USAC NonWing Sprint Car

Thanks a lot, guys. If I get this done in time I will bring it to the Desert Scale Classic I'm setting the rear end today. It took most of the day, yesterday, just to do the birdcages, axles and brake assembly. I have drawn full 1/8" scale plans of this whole car. It includes the frame, body, motor, front and rear end, the whole suspension system, seat, tires and wheels along with a wing plan if you wanted to build a WOO sprinter. You just build it right on the plan, sort of like you build a balsa wood airplane. If anyone is interested in giving this a shot, PM me or e-mail me at kmeaders@q.com Ken 101_1972.jpg

Edited by Old Sprinter

This is awesome ! The wait for the USAC sprints coming to Toledo just got longer ! They flat foot the 5/8 paved mile track here . It is something to watch these cars looking for traction coming around turn four into the front straight away . We like to sit in turn one for some reason. Anyway great build so far.

5/8 mile paved track, wow. I like pavement racing with sprinters as well as dirt. I have never seen them on anything bigger than a 1/2 mile. The next car I build will be a Beast chassis, coil over pavement car. If nothing else, the slicks will be easier to make than dirt tires,LOL. Ken

Thanks Rick, it is truly my pleasure to build this car. Actually at the rate it's going, the thing will be race ready in another week. I have never been able to build one this fast, but it's because I put in the hours and did most of the research before I started. So today I finished the containment seat, steering gear, plumbing for the motor, the rear end ( except for the trailing arms), belly pan, drive line and am working on the steering wheel.101_1979.jpg

101_1975.jpg

101_1974.jpg

101_2014.jpg Thanks guys, I've started another one. This is a Beast Chassis coil over pavement car. I'm building a bunch of 1/8 scale sprinters (14) so I won' be posting all these anymore, you'll get bored with it even though they are all a little different.

Edited by Old Sprinter

ken, please post them! first you'e work is awesome. second, there's a dozen pro mods being built on this site...... no two are alike. for some of us, we enjoy learning some of the nuances in these car. like, between a WOO car and a USAC sprint car (i hope those where viable close examples.) so please.....post away. at the very least........ i'll be watching.

Edited by comp1839

I agree, you said so yourself they are each a little different. It would be nice for you to point out the differences and educate those of us that are not familiar with the sprint cars... such as myself! This is how I learn, watching others build and point out the little different things about the builds.

Thanks Ken.

So Ken, I see the subtle differences in just the body panels. Now is there any differences in the chassis set up being this one is pavement vs. dirt?

I can see some chassis bracing a bit different, but more curious about how they are built one vs. the other to withstand, I would think a different type of torque on the chassis.

Bart; you'll notice that the front bar, that goes vertical to the down tube is right in front of the motor where as in the dirt car that bar is about 12" more towards the front axle. The chassis is wider at the front of the Beast by 3", the cage is slightly longer and the shock mounts are much more beefier front and rear. Cross diagonal bracing is at the firewall on the Beast and at the radiator on the dirt car. The pavement car uses four radius rods up front where as the dirt car uses one one the left and two on the right. Obviously no torsion bars on the coilover car just one tube to hold a anti roll bar if desired. There is an effort made on the Beast for some aero at the radiator by blocking it off and allowing the air to pass over a wing type arrangement to get air to the cooling system. You're correct about the different type of torque as the dirt car drives off the right rear and the pavement car tries to use all the wheels but that's done with the suspension set up more than the frame. Here's a picture of making the tail tank buck to be fiberglassed and some more body parts for the aero. 101_2023.jpg

101_2025.jpg Is this way too much information? Ken

Edited by Old Sprinter