Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cat 3406 powered Freightliner C.O.E.

Hello,

I'm a new member to the site,and have been lurking in the shadows a couple years or so. I've been building models longer than i care to remember,and i still find myself learning new tips and techniques every time i return from a long break.Anyway,i'm a little green to posting pictures on forums,so please allow me to begin among fellow modelers.For my first installment is a somewhat part box rescued truck. It features custom authentic Freightliner 2-tone paint scheme,Freightliner air-ride rear suspension from an Italeri kit,and a resin cat 3406 engine,(i could'nt make myself put the non-turbocharged cummins from the kit in it).I hope this truck can stack up to some of the other nice builds i've seen on these pages,if good feedback i will post other builds in the future,thx.post-14900-0-36882600-1419743753_thumb.jpost-14900-0-57729600-1419743784_thumb.jpost-14900-0-81784400-1419743804_thumb.jpost-14900-0-84436800-1419743831_thumb.jpost-14900-0-69382900-1419743863_thumb.j

Very nice bud. This stacks up with any other build on here. You tool a new angle on this some what difficult kit. Put some parts on that not many have done. I was thinkin of doin same thing, puttin a 3406 in a freightshaker. The details look great, you put the tanks equal on the frame, cab insulation. Looks great!

Edited by Petetrucker07

Really nice! I am curious what if anything you did to get the chrome so spot on. It just sparkles with no scratches and no visible seams (especially the cab steps).

And the undercab "insulation blanket"! Such a no brainer that I never even thought about.

Well done! Look forward to seeing more.

Peace.

Thanks guys for the "flowers",

As i said before i've been building models of all types since i was about 9.Several of the trucks i will be showing here were built a few times in the past,and each time i learned what problems to expect. So each time i would improve or reverse engineer how the truck was assembled for a better end product.There are a lot of aftermarket parts today that were not available back in the day when i started,so i had to make original kit parts work and look better.I guess old habits die hard,because i know i could make better models if i used more,but work,life,and family already take up a lot of time,so i dont have the time to research all thats out there.Now that i have a place to showcase some of my work,it will motivate me build more.I have truck/trailer projects that i started years ago that maybe i'll dust off and finish.For example,the truck i featured was finished several years ago and is to be paired with a Wilson livestock trailer thats "still" in the box! Anyway,thanks again for making me feel welcome,and stand by for more completed truck pics.

OOOOOO OOO WE !!!!!!!!! Man, that's a nice looking truck.......I highly doubt you'll have any trouble fitting in around here !!!!! Just a gorgeous job on this kit.....That engine looks good under there and great idea on the air ride.....Beautiful.....And what gets me.....You even got the cab to sit level with the shift tower mounted.....I've built 2 of these and I just left that thing off.....WOW !!!!!

Welcome aboard.......James.....

And don't worry so much about the aftermarket parts....I've had to make stuff for years, and a lot of times, it's better than waiting for parts to come in the mail.....There's some great aftermarket stuff, but there's a lot that you can do on your own.....Nothing wrong with kitbashing, either....

And what do you mean if you get some good feedback???? LOL !!! :D I can only hope you'll give us mere peasants some.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Very nice execution of what can be a difficult kit! paint looks great,a nice clean build for sure! where did the Cat engine come from?.............................Mark

Hello Mark,thx for your kind remarks among many others.Sorry i cant remember the name of the mfg.who cast this resin engine,i built this truck some time ago.I do believe though they (the resin company) used the cat engine found in the Revell/Monogram truck kits, such as kit no.85-1506 being sold today for the mold master.

Saw this late last night and had to wake up and comment. WOW, what a beautiful model! The paint.., the assembly.., the resin... and the ingenuity are all wonderfully executed. Very, very nice. I would say you fit in very nicely in the advanced category. There are a ton of great looking models on this board as well as great builders! Yours fits in very nicely, welcome aboard.

Jeff