Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Plymouth Pickup - 03/07/12 update

Been trying to figure out what to do with this 41 Plymouth. It's always been one of those love hate relationships. I loved it one day, then hated it the next. Decided to do a search here and see if I could find some inspiration and found some. Thor did a pickup conversion last year that I loved! So I decided to hack my Plymouth apart.

I started by removing the rear fenders.

DSC_3234.jpg

Then hacked off the trunk.

DSC_3238.jpg

Needed to then modify the chassis to allow the bed to fit.

DSC_3237.jpg

More to follow.

Tim

Edited by vwrabbit

The inner rear fenders that were mounted on the chassis were cut in half and glued to the backs of the rear fenders to widen them and styrene strips added to fill in. Need to clean up the edges of the old fenders on the bed and get the new ones mounted.

The ride height was adjusted front and back. The front was moved up on the spindle towards the top. Rear had 6" drop blocks installed between the axle and springs.

Tim

Been throwing around a 48 Chev fleetline with a flatbed. But can't get the design right. Reason for the flat bed is because I saw one on a ranch that had this setup and have been trying to refine it to no avail. It pops in my mind about every couple years. Nice build.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

This is turning out to be a real looker. B) It kind of reminds me of the 1947 Hudson Coupe Pickups. Any idea of a color for it - I think the gold that was on it already would look great. I did a 1940 Ford "Ranchero", based on the AMT Sedan Delivery kit many years ago, in maroon with black fenders.

Thanks guys!

Casey, not sure what to do w/the bed. Thor had his lengthened slightly and I think had a little bit of a reverse angle. I'll play around w/things to see how they look. Also debating if I want to have a tailgate or not. I like Thor's open bed. Makes things look cleaner.

Jim, not sure on color yet. Have a bunch of new acrylics to play with. I like the color I used on my 49 Ford (metallic peridot from Folk Art). Will try a few different things on the hood. Color coat should be done this morning.

Tim