Model Cars Magazine Forum

imai Volkswagen 1303S Beetle

Foxer

I'm using the bumpers from this kit on my build of a '69 Bug and was asked if it represented the American Super Beetle, especially the curved windshield. The windshield does curve. I took some photos to post and figured a separate on on th ekit was deserved.

This is intended to be motorized so no engine. The floor is raised to allow room for batteries.

Imia VW DSC 1107

IMIA VW 1303S Beetle DSC 1128

IMIA VW 1303S Beetle DSC 1129

IMIA VW 1303S Beetle DSC 1130

IMIA VW 1303S Beetle DSC 1131

IMIA VW 1303S Beetle DSC 1132

IMIA VW 1303S Beetle DSC 1133

IMIA VW 1303S Beetle DSC 1134

I wasn't intended this as a kit review when taking photos so if anyone wants more of the trees and such, just ask.

Edited by Foxer

Thx for the pics. I picked this up long ago and was unfortunately disapointed. From the windshield back it is a decent representation of a 73 and later Super Beetle, but the front end is just wrong. The front of the body, from the headlights forward doesn't stick out far enough. Its not all that noticeable when the bumper is on. The hood however, is awful. Its closer to a standard beetle than a super. This is how it should look. yea, I know Im counting the rivits.........since I had a 71 super for over 35 years I am picky!

volkswagen-vw-super-beetle-aircooled-tan

Edited by Draggon

IIRC, the Super Beetle had Macpherson struts for front suspension instead of the parallel torsion bars, correct?

Yes. The whole redesign was an attempt for more safety, and more trunk space. The front end with the strut towers incorporates crumple zones into the fender wells. The spare tire lays flat in the trunk, which also serves as an absoprbtion device, and creates alot more trunk space. The Super Beetle also has better (stock) handling (in good condition) and a smaller turning radius.

In South Africa we had a Super Beetle that was a cross between the normal 1600 and the 1303. It didn't have the MacPherson front suspension. The Imai kit looks very much like this Beetle. By the way I own a 1:1 1302 with the MacPherson suspension and is a rare Beetle in South Africa as only the odd ones were brought into the country.

SouthAfrican1600S_zps813a2509.jpg

I've seen those weird taillight spacers before. They are used because they use the regular 68-72 fender which doesn't have the hole for the big 73 and up taillight. The African 1600 is new to me, though. Or I didn't remember... :wacko:

Mike, thanks for taking the time to do this thread! Much appreciated B)

Your pics of the IMAI body have in fact confirmed what I had heard...this "Super Beetle" isn't so super :huh:

Looks like a whole lot of scratching and kitbashing will be in order to replicate a proper Super Beetle.

Mike, thanks for taking the time to do this thread! Much appreciated B)

Your pics of the IMAI body have in fact confirmed what I had heard...this "Super Beetle" isn't so super :huh:

Looks like a whole lot of scratching and kitbashing will be in order to replicate a proper Super Beetle.

My pleasure, Jeff .. glad you got to see it. It was worth it considering all the comments of those that had a Super Bug. Very interesting comments about how it sizes up.

I have used the body to build a slotcar. It got beaten up really bad over the years, but for that purpose it is a very good and sturdy body. If you are into details, it is not. Never ever heard of this South African version. Very nice to read and learn :)

I do not know about another Super Beetle kit, but Revell used to build a cast iron 1302 convertible in 1/24. It would be more than my skills allow, but how about making a mould of this front?