Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin First Timeer ???

hi. the resin i want to build is made by jimmy flintstone. i have 1 anser already from a below post by bluesman mark to clean with isopropyl alcohol. but how long ??and how do you know its done ?? what is a good glue for resin ?? and last i want to try my airbrush on these would acylics work??? THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO

I usually clean my resin with a mild dishwashing soap and warm water. Then scrub it well with a good brush, like a toothbrush. After that's been done, I wipe it down with alcohol. As for time, it depends on the resin and how much releasing agent the person used. It shouldn't feel oily when done. You'll definitely know if you missed something when you put your primer down. And if that happens, sand that area and rewash it. Then put on another coat of primer.

For glue, good epoxy or super glue works well. Model glue will not work. With super glue you might want to buy some accelerator to prevent fogging on the paint. It instantly sets the super glue to the surface.

Acylics will work fine. Just make sure you get a good primer. I tend to use automotive grade. Tamiya's primer works just as well.

It's all in the preparation with resin. Take your time with it. You'll find it is like putting together a normal plastic kit. You start off with a good resin company.

Most resin cleans up okay with normal cleaners; Westley's, Comet, alcohol, lacquer thinner. Occasionally you'll find a resin kit that's got super-duper-amazing mold release that just won't come off; if your resin doesn't pass the "masking tape" test (if it won't stick to the resin after it's clean, try again), I suggest going nuclear with it and giving the model a brief soak w/Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner.