Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late night model builders?

Ever since well around 2002 after my transplant get bouts of insomia and what better way to pass the time with some good tunes ( right now T-REX jeepster playin electric warrior album ) and model building. But it can be a double edged sword because this is when most my mistakes happen. Is anybody else a late night builder?

Irregular shift work pokes at existing bouts of insomnia...it's 0229 right now! I Try my best to keep it down as well, but there

Times I really have to fight the need to fire up the Dremel. My cave is a spare bedroom beside ours and the walls are thin...

I worked the night shift for 30 years so it's a hard habit to break. I use to work on my models during my lunch break sometimes or draw cars most of the time. Good part is it doesn't seem to bother my Wife when I get out of bed. I don't know if you count getting on here as building but, it's usually the first thing I do when I wake up.

I have bouts of severe insomnia I meen like 4-5 days with no sleep at all, when that happens its not a good idea to do anything at all cause you start seeing,hearing, and feeling some strange stuff but back to the question yes most of my build time is in the wee hours of the morning

I too have sleep issues.I guess when you work hard all the aches and pains keep you up to no good .Being 4 to 5 hours sleep is all get on any given night so this gives me many hours of building and doing research for future kits.Someone should start a insomia model builders club .Haha

Given the right circumstances, yes. I could, and have, stayed up all night. A nice snowy night with some old school Jazz pumping is magic for me. As long as I have cold water or seltzer to drink, I'm good.

Now I have to be careful. My hobby room is a tiny spare bedroom adjoining our bedroom. I cant have music going while the Mrs. is sleeping and I'm working. BAD lifestyle changes happen afterwards....

I guess it comes with old age, but I've had the Insomnia thing going for a couple of years now. It seems that 3 AM is my wake up time and have trouble getting back to sleep. I'd love to go down to my basement workbench for a little while, but my 30 year old daughter lives and sleeps down there so I really can't go down there to work on stuff or I'll "disturb" her. She's getting married in 18 months so I have to deal with that for awhile longer. I get an average of 4 to 5 hours a day in at my workbench as is, and I've been knocking out models in about 3 weeks. If I got another couple of hours in at night I'd probably finish one up in closer to 2 weeks. If that happened I'd eventually run out of models... (not really.)

I am not in the Moonlight Modelers Club, because I am good looking! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

I can vouch for that one :lol: :lol: :P , just kidding Gabriel

I am a late nighter as well, I try and get some stuff done in the evening, but the almost two year old makes that hard, (she is daddys girl) unless mommy has the Kindle out for her to play on

But my build time starts around 7 or so , and ends around 1/130

But I have always been a night owl, started in my teen years, then almost every job I have had was either working 3rd or 2nd shift, I did have a few day jobs, lets say they didnt last long , hmm, I wonder why

Edited by martinfan5

friday nites into the way early morrning when everyone is in bed! Got the radio on coast to coast some weird people out there!

I always listen to coast to coast while building models (640 AM los Angeles, CA) (but i really wish art bell was back, or that george knapp would have been Art's replacement LOL!,)

Im always up late building my models, its the only time I have to do it (after your significant other has gone to sleep lol), even if it measn being tired for work the next day lol

I've always liked night time better then the day, I don't have to deal with so many idiots! lol!

yepper.. after all the different injuries I have had over the years. I have my days that I cant sleep for on reason or another. yea some times being a night owl can have drawbacks. even more so with others that live with you wile your in that model.. seems the harder you try to keep quiet the louder you become LOL. dang laws of Murphy!!

I'm in the same boat. So many broken bones (including my back. Twice.) I usually have too much pain to get comfortable enough to sleep until I reach the point of complete exhaustion. That means I usually only get 2 to 4 hours of sleep a night. Good thing is my wife understands and has no problem with me doing whatever I want while I'm awake although I do try to keep the noise level down.

For me it's modeling causes insomnia.. If I get on a roll on a project and try to go to bed I can't get to sleep since I'm so excited and awake over the build. Much of my building is done 8-11 pm, once my wife has tuned into something I won't watch like The Bachelor or Dancing With The Stars. That's my cue to head up to the model room. I try to come back downstairs to watch the 11pm news prior to hitting the bed around midnight. Then I can calm down enough to sleep!

My one all nighter was for the 24 Hour Build last month. Following the rules, I started at noon on Saturday and was to build through noon on Sunday. I lasted until 5am. At that point I was not focusing right and dropping things. I had the model done enough that it was sitting on wheels and assembled, so I posted a few quick pics to the group and went to bed!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I always listen to coast to coast while building models (640 AM los Angeles, CA) (but i really wish art bell was back, or that george knapp would have been Art's replacement LOL!,)

Depends on the station, but Saturday nights prior to the regular show (6pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern) they do a "Coast to Coast AM - Art Bell Somewhere in Time" where they play an old show from the archives. Plus Art still does the show on Halloween & New Years Eve, along with the exceptional random fill-in for Noory. Who I have to admit I never really cared for, it's his show now and all of that, but it's not the SAME show that Art started all those years ago.

Edited by niteowl7710