Model Cars Magazine Forum

Okay, ya had me hooked until the outboard turbos. Since you typically catch your build issues and resolve them, I'm just going to say that I look forward to seeing what you do to make them look like works of art instead of afterthoughts. :P

The more I looked at the turbos the more I started to hate how they look. I decided to do something about them. To be honest, I'm not really sure I like the front of this Jeep at all anymore, but I'm not about to start over. I can't quite pinpoint what I don't like, but I'm beginning to think the narrow front tires are all wrong.

I played around with some ideas, most of them either didn't flow or were just too bulky. I think this is the one I'm going with. This too was pretty bulky looking, then I decided a turbo and exhaust cover needed some venting which took some of the mass out of it. I might put some screen behind the openings.

P3270351Medium_zpsea8927e0.jpg

P3270355Medium_zps97578bdb.jpg

P3270354Medium_zpsb79aa171.jpg

Engine is looking crazy enough. Turbo covers are nice. How about mounting air filters above them?

Also wondering if you move right side distributor to the inside of the engine block. That would make engine more symmetrical.

What color are you going to paint this?

It's going to be the same color as the trailer.

I worked on the body tonight. Boy is thing going to be a PITA to get right, and to be honest, it's not going to be one of my better examples of bodywork. There are just to many slight creases and such that need work in the tightest of spaces. This is not the fault of the caster, it's from me modifying it so much.

The back is way too plain, so I plan to sink a plate into the tailgate and then I have to figure out some tailights to help break it up a bit.

P3290361Medium_zps57948b47.jpg

P3290362Medium_zpsf0926fa9.jpg

P3290363Medium_zps2c3e0481.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

how about some 25 T front fenders?

they could flow under the turbos to the main body and provide a little transition from the front into the main body...

the line/flow from the radiator shell to the cowl seems to be rather irregular, maybe making the shell taller would help.

Edited by blunc

Engine is looking crazy enough. Turbo covers are nice. How about mounting air filters above them?

Also wondering if you move right side distributor to the inside of the engine block. That would make engine more symmetrical.

As for the filters, if you look at previous pics, the turbos are plumbed into the grille shell which is where the aircleaner would be. To me the plumbing on a turbo is where all the "look" comes from. The way I did it was pleasing to my eye and solved the open valley in the center of the engine compartment.

I do agree with the distributor idea, for some reason when I originally started building this my pea sized brain said "Sure it's feasible to turn the engine around and have it run backwards, just redesign the cam and a few other parts, but no way would the distributor work on the other side". At this point I really need to get it done or it will sit forever.

how about some 25 T front fenders?

they could flow under the turbos to the main body and provide a little transition from the front into the main body...

the line/flow from the radiator shell to the cowl seems to be rather irregular, maybe making the shell taller would help.

I thought about having the front fenders match the ones I made for the trailer, which is the same idea you have. The problem with that is this will have posable steering and the part that flows back will hit the frame and suspension.

While looking at it last night I tried raising the grille shell, it didn't help IMO. Once the cycle fenders went on, I was pretty happy with the look. When I view it at certain angles it looks great, but at one angle it still looks off a bit.. I think the engine compartment is just too long. I should have tucked the engine coupler under the cowl more. As I said above, I just want to finish it before I get sidetracked. So I'll finish it off and learn from my mistake on future builds.

I do thank everyone for their advise.

Edited by Psychographic

DAVID , I CAN IN NO WAY TELL YOU HOW FRICKEN COOL THIS IS ,YOU DO SOME GREAT WORK ,IS THERE A CHANCE WE MITE SEE THIS AT NNL EAST? EVEN UNFINISHED ,IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE ,

Thanks Blair, I'm working my butt off to get it done in time!

Just before I quit last night, I saw the airdam from a Sunbeam Tiger on the bench and cut it up to fit the Jeep. I was just about to cut up the tailgate for a plate when I remembered I made one for for the trailer hitch. I then started playing with a taillight. I cut one up from a Deora gluebomb and tacked into place, I think it will work. My plan is to sand the glue remnants from the back, then using a piece of clear styrene as a backer, glue the Deora pieces to it with clear epoxy. If that works, I'll cut the tailgate to sink it in.

P3290365Medium_zps6ac978c5.jpg

Just a beautiful piece of work, Sir....Just beautiful....

Thanks JT.

Edited by Psychographic

Glad to see you working on this again Dave.

Me too.

I cut out the tailgate which was a bit of a pain as one corner had the tab of brass from the hinge in the way. I just took my time and eventually got it shaped to fit. I went a different way of assembling the taillight. I was afraid the epoxy will seep out between the two halves and make a mess, so I stuck the two pieces to some aluminum tape. This holds it firmly together and also brightens up the lens quite a bit.

P3290367Medium_zps8a0c6605.jpg

It's still a little flat back there, but there was no way to save the details once I decided to make the two back doors into one. At least now there are things to break up that big slab that I created.

Ca glue was invented by Satan! I absolutely positively HATE this necessary evil in a bottle.

Can somebody explain to me how even when you use the tiniest amount of this stuff and need a part to set right away, it won't? How does this adhesive from Hades creep into the most delicate parts that you don't want glued together, manages to do so and then dries immediately so you can't get them apart and wind up ruining them?

I came this close (Imagine me holding to fingers together) to smashing everything on this build to tiny pieces. After spending hours getting the front spindles done I just ruined one and had to drill out the front suspension arm to get it out, along with snapping it. What really frost my cajones, is they were perfectly matched, I doubt that will happen the second time around.

Modeling is sure relaxing,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I get to build another one of these.

P3300368Medium_zpsf26f6f27.jpg

I had a part in the inventory for this build that I could not remember what the heck it was. I finally realized it was an electric water pump. I also had the coolant plumbing figured out and a bunch of fittings made to finish it. Of course I can't remember what went where, so I made all new ones. I think this is one of those times that the second version worked out better than the first. I do remember not being real happy with how things were going to line up, I think everything will fit pretty good this time.

The mystery part.

P3231603Medium_zps86ee6ad6.jpg

The plumbing fittings.

P3310370Medium_zps8f87cb4b.jpg

How it will be plumbed.

P3310370Medium2_zps7775089d.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Did some painting yesterday. My braided line for the plumbing should be here today and I'll get most of it buttoned up. Once again I didn't plan ahead, I can't plumb the radiator until it's painted and installed. It's going to be very tight trying to get the lines from the engine to the radiator. :huh:

P3310388Medium_zps20ee0608.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I was planning to use braided line for the radiator hoses, but it looked to small compared to my fittings ( which are probably out of scale and to big). So off to Micheal's to see what I could find. I was to give up and just pick up the ribbon for the sealtbelts when I found some 1/16" mylar braided elastic. It sucked to work with, but I got them done. As you can see, it's pretty tight in there.

P2020394Medium_zps98679a41.jpg

I've also got the alternator bracket done and in place.

P2020396Medium_zps65de7af8.jpg

The start of the seatbelts.

P2020395Medium_zps4b211545.jpg

With just about everything buttoned up on the front of the engine I was able to see how close I could get the grille/headllight assembly. Luckily it was able to get much closer than I thought which helped with the overall image. Between that and the front fenders I'm starting to get happy with the look of this build again.

P2020398Medium_zps6c359e2e.jpg

P2020397Medium_zps57e9d016.jpg

P2020399Medium_zps54432c41.jpg