Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plum Crazy 57 Chevy Funny Car

chuckinredneck

the Jawbreaker is done so now I'm starting my next project actually I'm finishing it, I had started this kit 10 years ago with the paint and BMF. the model got stuffed back into the box and stashed until I pulled it out and decided it was time to finish it. I built up the engine and chassis so I could mock it up for the pictures. Hope you like them. Still got a lot of BMF to go.

Chuck J

Picture223.jpg

Picture224.jpg

My time for working on this build has been kind of limited and I ran into a snag when I did get to work on it. If you can see in the picture the idler pully for the blower belt is a bit messed up, so I made up a new one that I believe should work just fine.

Picture234.jpg

I had to use brass pins to make everything stronger because the kit uses a rubber band for the blower belt

Picture233b.jpg

Next on the list I need to find a super coil or some kind of ignition box and a fuel pump. Now were did them parts boxes get put at LOL

Chuck J

Thanks Bobby I worked on it tonight finished up the suspension. I searched through my parts box trying to find a fuel pump and couldn't find any so I took apart the one I put on the Bantam Roadster so I could try casting it. I went to the art store and bought some latex rubber and some 2 hour epoxy, I know it's not casting resin but I'm going to give it a try.

Chuck J

Just a quick update here. I still haven't had a lot of time and the time I have had has been spent finding or makeing parts.

Picture240a.jpg

Top right of this picture is the kit blower scoop and it's junk so I found the one on the left in the parts box. Also from the parts box is a shaft for the fuel pump. Next on the right is a fuel pump I took off a model I already had built, because I couldn't find one in the parts box. I bought some latex rubber mold maker and made one from it useing epoxy(center). On the left is an oil filter that I will be mounting to the chassis and plumbing it up.

plumcrazy002a.jpg

plumcrazy007a.jpg

Next is to run fuel lines from the pump to the distribution block at the back of the scoop. and mount the engine in the chassis.

Chuck J

love the color man! you did an excellent job on the model! it's amazing even the box art shows the wrinkle walls on backwards. please don't take me wrong, but the wrinkle walls are facing backwards as if the car is torqued in reverse. it's not a big deal really, and i see this all the time on other's models. i think i see why now though after seeing the box art. i might have made the same mistake if i didn't know.

love the color man! you did an excellent job on the model! it's amazing even the box art shows the wrinkle walls on backwards. please don't take me wrong, but the wrinkle walls are facing backwards as if the car is torqued in reverse. it's not a big deal really, and i see this all the time on other's models. i think i see why now though after seeing the box art. i might have made the same mistake if i didn't know.

There's no way around the "backward wrinkle" with these slicks, except to photograph the LH side of the car instead. Each tire wrinkles the wrong way on the side facing the RH side of the car because they only tooled the wrinkles one direction on the halves of the slicks. Perry's resin makes a set of smaller slicks that wrinkle correctly, but they're pie-crust style, which shouldn't wrinkle - they had a 2-ply sidewall, and were too stiff to distort like that, even at super-low pressures.

Dave

There's no way around the "backward wrinkle" with these slicks, except to photograph the LH side of the car instead. Each tire wrinkles the wrong way on the side facing the RH side of the car because they only tooled the wrinkles one direction on the halves of the slicks. Perry's resin makes a set of smaller slicks that wrinkle correctly, but they're pie-crust style, which shouldn't wrinkle - they had a 2-ply sidewall, and were too stiff to distort like that, even at super-low pressures.

Dave

i was not aware of that problem with those tires. yeah i have some of Randy's tires they are nice. i have wrinkle walls like the ones shown on this car , i will have to dig them out i have several pair in a box. thanks for the info. still a sweet model!

I got alot of work done on the Chevy and went to take some pictures. The camara and a bunch of other things were stolen and sold to buy drugs for my girlfriends daughter, all things she thought wouldn't be missed for awhile. Well now she looking for a new place to live and it looks like my updates are going to be kind of scarce for awhile till I can buy a new camara.

Chuck J