Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duel Plymouth Valiant WIP Almost finished 14/02

IMPALA SS 427

I also started this a while ago:

mp2.jpg

I will also be making the truck eventually and put them both in a diorama.

I will post a few pics of it at various stages so you all get the idea of how i did it.

DSCF2135.jpg

i cut and rotated the rear pillars to get the basic sedan shape.

Edited by IMPALA SS 427

WOW !!

I've been waiting for someone to attempt to replicate the 1971 / 1972 Valiant from "Duel" !

You gonna keep the Dart's 383 for use in the Valiant ? David Mann sure could've used at least a 340 instead of the smogged-down 225 Slant !

I'm quite looking forward to watching your progress here . And , if you need any building cues , be sure to check out 1970 Hamtramck Historical Registry . That beautiful site features original brochures and other dealer info ; it may come in handy for interior tips and whatnot .

Can't wait to see how you make those exclusive-to-Plymouth , 1971-only 14" deluxe wheel covers !

Thanks everyone for the comments :)

MyBradKeselowlski - i will smooth the step from the rear doors eventually but I'm stuck on how i will go about it. The sides are near perfect and ready for paint and i would hate to mess it up when its looking so good.

1972coronet - I will be using the 383 for now. As for the hubcaps i also cant wait to see how i will make them :lol: i have no idea where to start.

Tomorrow i hope to have the taillights done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This project is SUPERB and of one of my favorites movies,don't know how many times I have wacht it!!!

The diorama idea sound great, if I recall there a build thread in one of the web forums showing the build of the Duel truck by another modeler, that one look fantastic to!!!

Will follow this project with a LOT of interest.

The Valiant in the photos provided by Tom Geiger is a 1972 model ("universal" side marker lamp lenses) , and is an excellent source for the subtle differences between it and the 1969 Dart 2 door you're starting out with .

Of special note ; the '72 in the photos is a base model , which is to say that it's devoid of the rear applique between the tail lights , across the trunk . The '70-'72 Valiants used in Duel had the applique .

How about sending your completed Val body to a resin caster !

Thanks everyone :)

I got the bodywork done in a day and i spent most of the day spraying primer and sanding into shape and i got a bit carried away and painted it up without fixing the rear bumper to body shape as spkgibson suggested. but seeing as the paint came out good i wont be fixing it.

Fred- the build of the Peterbilt i have seen and when the time comes that will prove a very helpful guide. The diorama base is going to be finished after the valiant, then i will just need the truck...

Thanks for posting those valiant pictures Tom, i found them very useful for getting the door tops and lower c pillars into shape.

Jake- at the moment I'm going with the kit engine, i don't see much point putting the correct slant 6 in if the hood will always be closed..

For those interested in a resin I believe there is another modeler working on the same thing and they intend to cast it, theirs looks very good...