Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok, the woman bought me an airbrush, need help here!

I was sitting here having a really crappy modeling day and then my fiance gives me my birthday present early - an airbrush from Hobby Town.

I have been doing my research on brushes and no I need to ask some questions here:

1. She bought me a Badger Professional 150 - Dual action.

2. This is an internal mix brush.

3. It comes with different needles.

4. She bought me compressed air.

I am so happy that she thought of me and my hobby that I could care less if this is the wrong airbrush. But, I am aware of better ones out there.

I was already looking at an Iwata or something similar with a gravity feed. I have done some research but I need your help.

She is not mad if I exchange this one for a better one.

Please help me, is this a good brush or not? I already explained to her about compressed air, that is not an issue. I just want to know if I should start with this brush or not.

It is a dual action, but not gravity feed. Please help me as I am excited as hell, but don't want to use it until I can be sure that I have a great brush!!!!

Jon,

This is the same airbrush I use almost exclusively! I have used others but I keep coming back to the Badger. I am on my second 150 because I wore out the first! I paint models, slot cars and paintings. Been doing this since 1984 or 85 so I think you have a good product. If you want to move to a Pasche or Iwata later on then fine but keep the Badger. Having a number of airbrushes is not a bad thing. I have three but prefer the Badger.

The Badger is also excellent to learn on due to the double action. Takes time to learn but keep with it. Spraying for me is now so automatic that I do not even have to think about it unless it starts spitting or one of the seal’s leak.

Now, down to the weakness…. That would be the Teflon seal! Buy lots of those and I mean LOTS!!!! They wash down the freaking sink way too easy.

The Teflon seal is a little white washer under the tip. You will see it when you clean it the first time. It drops off with the slightest provocation and not worth searching down in the “U†bend for. Just buy a bunch of them as back up.

Clean up…. Don’t bother with the little bottles of paint. Just mix your paint about the consistency of milk (lacquer or enamel or latex don’t matter) and then pour it into the little metal cup and spray. When the cup is empty, pour more into it, wipe up the drip and spray more! Then run a little lacquer thinner through the brush for clean up. Drop the metal cup in a small jar of lacquer thinner, UP SIDE DOWN. Pull it out when ready to paint again.

When you are finished for the day then throw the tip into the thinner without the Teflon seal.

The needle can be wiped down and the body of the brush dunked into the thinner and swabbed out with a paper towel.

The next day pull the tip out of the thinner and re-assemble the airbrush and your ready to go!

Simple as pie!

Ask me more questions if you want in this thread. I will keep watching it.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice!

J

P.S. think about getting a compressor with an air tank....

Wow, your reply makes me so much more happy with her choice! If you think tis was a good choice thean I am all for it. But, you mentioned the Teflon seals. Where do I acquire more of these seals so that I can continue to brush accurately?

Am I wrong in hearing/learning that a gravity feed is better for painting?

What should I get that is good compressor wise? I know it needs a regulator and a drip valve, but what is best?

Thank you for your reply!!!!

Jon, If you have a Home Depot near you, check out the hardware department. They are closing out an air compressor made by Campbell/ Hosfeld that is perfect for your airbrush. I bought my compressor about three months ago and am perfectly satisfied with it. You should hurry if you want one because my store only has one left with no more on order. The compressor is a dual tank set-up with two guages: one to show you the pressure in the tanks and the other is to set the pressure that you want. The think goes for only $79.00 and that includes everything you need including a brad nailer. If they have already been sold out, Senco makes a good compressor but it costs a little more.

Jarius is right about practicing with your air brush. Single actions are easier to use but the double action is so much more verstile. If you start right out painting a model you will mess up, GUARANTEED.

bob

Bob is right about the air compressor. I purchased my compressor on sale at Sears when they were closing out that series number. Still a good Craftsman compressor and the tank is huge for me. I can fill it once a week and run on the compressed air for 7 days before turning it back on! (10hp 22gl)

The teflon seals can be purchased at most art stores or hobby shops that sell airbrushes and parts. Seals run about 1.75 at my art store. I have one left.... bummer!

J

Hey Jairus, more questions for you.

I am going to keep the Badger but I had some questions. I saw the teflon washer by the way and I ca see where those can disappear fast.

Since she bought me the Badger compressed air, I have no way of hooking up the airbrush to the can?! Is there some sort of adapter that should have came with it for this?

I saw a picture online of a lady painting nails and there was a round black adapter that looked as if it screwed to the can of CO2 and then you could screw the air hose into that.

Am I missing a part here?

Thanks for your time.

Jon

Jon,

Yes.

There is an adaptor that screws onto the can and it has a small thumbscrew valve that opens and closes the airline as well.

Black, chrome or whatever, you are going to need that if you want to use the compressed air in the can.

I had one about 20 years ago... not in the junk drawer. Not sure what happend to it. I would have sent it to you if I could find it.

The sales person should have sold that to your wife along with the brush and can.

:lol:

I figured as much. I know the "kid" at the LHS and I am not shocked. Probably never crossed his mind and she would not know to ask. After reading around the ol net, I think I am just going to buy a light compressor ala pancake type.

Could I be able to tell if this was used by the way? There is no brush holder in the kit and in the tip there is dark coloring to it. Shouldn't it be clean as a whistle or do they test them at the plant? If it were used should I worry? I guess the only way to know is to use it.

Hey Jon,

I got this compressor at Harbor Freight earlier this year and it's worked well for me so far. Got a two year, in-store replacement warranty for $20 too. I use mine indoors. It's quiet and has an auto on/off feature so it only runs while you have the trigger pressed on the airbrush.

They have Harbor Freight in Colorado Springs...go check it out.

93657.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93657

Jon, Used is not a big deal. Worn out is.... ! Soak the tip and needle in some lacquer thinner for a bit and that should clean it up.

A pancake compressor with an auto shut off is nice for this application. However, high humidity will create water in the line... I would get a couple of "in-line" disposable water traps for now. They need to be mounted as far away from the compressor as possible.

I also use quick disconnects for ease of disassembly and cleaning.

Here is my unit.

The compressor is a Craftsman 22 gal with 5HP motor. The motor can be wired for 110v or 220v. Think I paid just a bit less than a hundred for it.

It is in the garage and my studio is right behind this wall so I have plumbed the air direct! Note the extra 8-tracks outside in the garage. :eyeroll: Also note the other air hoses with which I can fill the air in my tires and the neighborhood kid's bicycles.... Also note the cool old grinder and wire brush used almost daily found at local garage sale for obscenely cheap price!

P1010723-vi.jpg

The water trap is located about 6 or 7 feet away from the compressor after poking through the wall. Note the quick disconnect, the messy workbench and lack of water in the bowl. This is because all the water is located in the bottom of my air tank rusting IT out!

P1010727-vi.jpg

Badger airbrush and slot car body recently painted with same....

P1010725-vi.jpg

8)

Since she bought me the Badger compressed air, I have no way of hooking up the airbrush to the can?! Is there some sort of adapter that should have came with it for this?

I saw a picture online of a lady painting nails and there was a round black adapter that looked as if it screwed to the can of CO2 and then you could screw the air hose into that.

Am I missing a part here?

Hey Jon, I have an extra can adapter you can have. PM. me with your address and I will send it right away.

My wife is going to absolutely kill me :shock: . I just purchased an airbrush on ebay for 2.25+13.00 shipping. I was just dorking around and I won it!!! Most of the things I bid on, at the last second some swooper comes in and gets it. It comes with 2 jars, hose, can adapter, in a plastic case. I know nothing about it, or airbrushes in general. I had better learn though.

Help me guys. Please :?