Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's Make-nTake

All,

I have a question for the forum brain trust- What do you know about the Revell Make-n-Take program?

I need real life experiences and not " A buddy told me......" as my wife is a school teacher and she is looking at doing some afterschool programs and this was HER idea!

She is looking at creating an afterschool program where the kids (Grades 3-5) would get together once a week and assemble various projects. We talked about different projects she could do and after looking at the Revell website, she said we should go to Hobby Lobby to get some ideas of what is out there for here to build her program with.

I told her that she would have to demonstrate to me that she could assemble a snap tite model so she used her 40% off coupon on a space shuttle kit as I already have a couple of the '69 Camaros and '34 Fords.

She will be calling Revell on Monday to see what the Make-n-Take kits cost and what is available. There is a good chance that she will have the kids put together several kits at different times so I might be the beneficiary of some left overs ! :D

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mike, MassCar has had experience with the Make-n-Take program.

Essentially, you agree to buy whole cases (12/case,) and it's usually at cost, or pay for shipping, it depends on what program they're running right now.

I believe Make-n-Take is handled directly by Revell, so you would need to contact them.

Generally, it's been well-received by our show attendees and seems to get good results.

If cost is an issue, see if any of the clubs (model or real car) in your area might be willing to help underwrite it. I'll bet that other organizations (Elks, Moose, Eagles, KofC, Masons, etc.,) would be able to help underwrite it, too. Talk to folks in town and see what you can come up with.

This is a great idea and please do keep us posted.

Charlie Larkin

Mike,

When I used to be with the model club, Group 25, we used to do this as a youth activity at the club's contest run annually. I was usually in charge. The 'Make It 'N Take It' all comes in a large cardboard box, about 1 1/2 foot cubed. If I remember correctly, you get twenty-five kits, one in a regular box and twenty-four which come individually bagged. The decals and instructions come bundled together separately. They also provide a bag of slot blade screw drivers. Since I was regularly doing an after school program at the time, I provided mini loaner tool kits to use in the building process. Each tool kit had a set of sprue cutters, a sanding stick (finger nail file), some round tooth picks, and tube glue (only if required). Some kits are better than others in terms of the snap together process. Some snap and hold, while others do not hold together well, or the pins break off easily, hence the possible need for cement. I would recommend going onto the web site to see which kits are being offered in the program. I would then go to your LHS and pick up 1 or 2 of the possible choices, and then assemble them. This way you can find out ahead of time how well each one goes together and possible issues that the students might face. For example locator holes on chrome parts get filled in by the chrome process. They may need to be drilled out again for pins to snap in, without breaking them off. This is a terrific, low cost, fun activity for kids. From a teacher's perspective, I'd say that your wife should definitely go for it!

Make 'n Take is a terrific way to introduce kids to modeling and it's a great activity if you just want to help them create something with their hands. I've been involved with the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association/Revell Make 'n Take events at Scottsdale for several years; my crew and I help 350+ kids build kits every year.

There's nothing quite like the thrill and excitement of a youngster building and finishing his/her first car model!!

First of all, you'll have to buy the Make 'n Take package. It's not very expensive and gives you a boxed (sealed) kit plus 24 bagged kits, plus instruction sheets, sticker sheets, screw drivers, Revell catalogs, and promotional posters. You should contact Revell directly to get the best price ~ no middle man (like a hobby shop) adding profit to the cost, and their pricing is adjustable to the type of event or purpose. At any rate, it is cheap entertainment and you may just ignite some lifetime hobbyists!

Here's a few tips:

• We encourage the parents to help the kids with their kit.
  • We have club members on hand as advisers to help with "issues" and to provide experienced building tips.
  • We always expect to lose a couple of kits for parts ~ kids sometimes break a steering wheel or wheel hub or bumper and they can be very disappointed, so we "rob" another bag to provide replacement parts. So, if you have a finite number of kids, plan to have more kits available.
  • We and our advisers constantly check on their progress and heap lots of praise on them for jobs well done. They really light up and it makes the whole experience so much better for them!
  • We don't let the youngsters have the screwdrivers. They can be weapons ... even accidentally. We give the screwdrivers to Mom or Dad, or have our advisers handle the screwdriver work.
  • We ask them to clean up after themselves, disposing of the sprues and bags, etc. Not much to ask and they don't mind.
  • We encourage them to show us their builds when they're finished ... we even take pictures of them holding their models. They LOVE that!
  • We encourage them to keep building models ~ check out the little catalogs to see what's available ~ and let them know where they can buy model kits locally.
  • We encourage them to bring their models back to our next event and enter the juniors classes. They get a big charge out of seeing the model they just built and comparing it to the hundreds of models on our contest/display tables.
  • Be prepared to have a great time, yourself! Seeing the hobby through the eyes of the kids is just the greatest experience us old geezers can have. The first-timers are the best!

More info? Revell's website.

From Revell's website:

Each Make 'n Take event package shown below comes with: 1 Fully Packaged Model Kit, 24 Bagged Model Kits, Decal and Instruction Sheets, 12 Screwdrivers (included in auto kits only), 2 Pre-Event Posters and a Helpful Hints Manual
    Make 'n Take model kits change throughout the year so check back frequently.
    Make 'n Take kits are ideal for Birthday Parties, Church Events and Boys and Girls club events. More info.

Host a MAKE 'N TAKE model-making event and get in on the fun. To order a Make 'N Take kit for your event, please contact Revell at 888-598-8226.

Revell Inc. has partnered with GOODGUYS ROD & CUSTOM Association, NSRA (National Street Rod Association), SUPER CHEVY SHOW and CAR CRAFT to sponsor MAKE 'N TAKE events nationwide.

Make 'n Take - Constructive Fun for Boys and Girls! logo_MakeNTake.gif

Building model kits is a hobby kids can enjoy for a lifetime. It's fun, it's creative, and it's constructive! It helps kids develop valuable skills, such as patience, attention to detail, following instructions, and it provides them with a strong sense of accomplishment.
    Revell started the Make 'n Take program several years back after conducting similar programs at large events attracting thousands of people, such as auto races and trade shows. We brought a truckload of our snap together Skill Level 1 model kits, a carload of people to help supervise the youngsters and the response was overwhelming. There were many smiling faces and every child went home with a car or plane that they built all by themselves. Many, many folks asked how they could set up a similar event in their neighborhood or hometown. And so, the Make 'n Take program was born. Soon after and thousands of events later, it's still one of our most popular programs.
    The concept is quite simple-Revell will offer you a carton containing 25 model kits at a very low cost, all the same so all the participants are working on the same project. You choose between a car type kit or an aircraft type kit. All will be from our Skill Level 1 collection of subjects so no glue or painting is needed. We change the kit offered every couple of months so your next event will feature a new item.
    See what you get!

make-n-take-01a.jpg
    Click on the image to see a larger view.
    Each Make 'n Take event package will contain:

• 1 Fully Packaged Model Kit
    • 24 Bagged Model Kits
    • 24 Decal and Instruction Sheets
    • 12 Screwdrivers (included in auto kits only)
    • 2 Pre-Event Posters
    • Helpful Hints Manual

Thanks for the responses so far guys, my wife will be calling Revell tomorrow to get an idea of what the costs and available kits will be.

I told her I might be able to help out if/when she holds the class, depends on my work schedule. She needs to put together a program and present it to her school principal with costs and a business plan to get approved before she can order the kit.

I will let you know what we find out.

Update-

My wife has an appointment with the afterschool program coordinator on Thursday and he is excited about her proposal. She contacted Revell today and the kits are reasonably priced so as long they go along with it, sounds like she will be running the class. She plans on having planes and cars as part of the class.

As a trial run, she assembled the snap tite space shuttle today in about 30 minutes, she was real proud of herself!

Mike, that is excellent news. Although your wife probably knows this already, she is going to make all those lucky enough to particpate, very happy!

Yep, all because I took her to a show/swap meet earlier this Spring, she has a newfound appreciation for this hobby and my collection.

She gets the whole concept of modelbuilding- reading instructions, having patience, and seeing the job finished. She is excited to do this, and wants to start the class tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update-

She met with the afterschool program coordinator at the YMCA the other day and is awaiting a response from him regarding her proposal. She went over the basics and the estimated costs and he seemed to think it was a workable deal so we will know soon.

The good news is that the YMCA will be ordering the supplies, the bad news is that means no leftovers for me! :( She is getting excited and the YMCA thinks this program could be expanded to multiple schools, meaning she could be quite busy!

Mike, I believe that this is an excellent idea! I gotta tell you, I am in this hobby today due to a teacher I had in the 3rd grade. He held an afternoon class where he helped us build models. After several weeks, he put up tables in the school lunch room and displayed our finished work! To this day, I still can picture my Don the Snake Revell Monza sitting on that table!! Some of my friends managed to complete the old Revell '57 Chevy Lowrider kits. LOL!! Yep, the old mid-70's version with the Pink molded plastic! (Showing my age!) I did not have a father around to help me but this teacher sparked a flame that continues to this day!

Just recently, my son had to attend a local show with me because his mother was out of town. Mind you, he never showed any interest in my projects before this show. At the show, they had a Make and Take and I asked him if he was interested. He built the Hum-V snapper and had a blast. He asked if we could buy a snap Monster Truck from one of the vendors. He has been working on that one on and off over the last couple of months. He wants to take it to a show in October. Just recently, he asked if we could buy the snap Camaro at the local craft store. Dear old dad gladly picked up the tab!

In a round about way, I want you and your wife to know that this will have an impact on one or more of these children. I thank Revell and the individuals who invest their time in these programs.

Soooooo, which days are you volunteering, Mike? :D

Funny! I will probably help her on the first model kit day, although I she did do a good job on that space shuttle, not sure she needs me! :P

Our 15 year old daughter will most likely help with the classes as part of her volunteering portion of being in National Honor Society and she has built a few models with Dad so I just might be off the hook!

My wife has had her eyes opened to the lack of creativity and inactivity in school age children and this is what has compelled her to start these programs. Many times her students talk of playing video games but when she asked them if they ever built a model or other craft type project, she was surprised that many of them said no. She talked with me about the issue and that is when I mentioned the make-n-take program and how many kids enjoy it at car shows, hobby shows and other events.

In addition to building 2 different models during the 7 week run of classes, she is looking at some of the other projects that are on the shelf at Hobby Lobby, Radio Shack and some online sources.

This is slated to start just before Halloween and run close to Christmas so it should be fun. I will keep you all posted!

THE MAKE AND TAKE IS AND EXCELLENT PROGRAM TO WORK. OUR CLUB SPONSORED IT AT CHRISTMAS TIME FOR OUR HOME-SCHOOLERS CHRISTMAS PARTY. THE ONLY THING BAD I EXPERIECED IS THE OVERWHELMING OF KIDS ASKING FOR HELP AND/OR BREAKING A PART. BRING GLUE SO THE ADULT CAN GLUE ON THE BROKEN PARTS IF THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT PARTS AVAILABLE .I WANTED TO DO CARS,WHICH REVELL HAD AT THE TIME, BUT SOME KIDS WANTED PLANES!(THE PT CRUISER OR NEW VW BUG IN BLUE WAS WHAT WE PUT TOGETHER.) IT WAS WELL RECEIVED BY THE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!