Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tanker truck from the movie Duel.

well finally the tanker trailer is done. between the original one in the first movie and the second one I kinda got lost on actual details of each but hopefully this does the job at least for me. I'm sure there will be areas that are different and that I expect but this was a heck of a job in and of itself.

Now on to the cab which was an eBay junkyard buy and I'll never get another junkyard item off eBay. LOL.The one I bought the guy must have used the old tube glue. Hope to have this done in time for the Cookeville, TN show.

The cab will have a functioning butterfly hood also.

post-10788-0-81040400-1355329881_thumb.j

post-10788-0-84287900-1355329932_thumb.j

post-10788-0-74047700-1355329984_thumb.j

post-10788-0-47292400-1355330033_thumb.j

I bought some Evergreen sheet stock 12"x24" and finished covering the ribs today, I had to buy an AMT T-500 kit off ebay which was not cheap either to do the cab. will be working on that after I do the boxes and axles for the trailer.

Your trailer looks awesome!!! Was lookin at your Pete frame in the back ground. It looks like you may have put it together upside down. The front should be upside down like the back half!!

thanks. I kept bouncing back and forth between the original truck and the last surviving tanker. Only wish there had been more details on the undercarriage of the tanker as I've seen a few models that had NO frame and no pics of the frame anywhere on the net. So the undercarriage is a lot of guess work and what it might look like. In actual scale I may be off by 6" in 1/25th scale but I could care less. This thing was a beast to build. Luckily that 12'x24" evergreen really helped out as only 1 sheet completely wrapped around the tanker. Would I do this again? NO WAY! I also thought about doing a resin cast of the tanker before I added the sides but gave that idea up.

• 3 weeks later...

here's the latest incarnation. I rebuilt the side mirrors as the original kit part was way too fat. waiting on a 1927 Lincoln roadster to get in so I can ad the front headlights. Originally I was going to do a butterfly hood but couldn't find small enough piano hinges so this will have to wait for the next build of this same tractor. yep I know, but this vehicle is so interesting to build. waiting on some more 5 hole Budd wheels to finish off the rubber. I'll bring this to the Cookeville show and enter it. I haven't weathered any of the vehicle yet. will do that when all the little things are attached and done. Building this entire vehicle is and was a nightmare at times but I'll for sure do the tractor again later after my blood pressure settles back down. :wacko:

By the way, the cab is not glued to the frame yet, I merely set in on it to see the look and take these pics.

post-10788-0-60839700-1357006859_thumb.j

post-10788-0-22586800-1357006913_thumb.j

post-10788-0-44933500-1357006966_thumb.j

post-10788-0-30073900-1357007014_thumb.j

post-10788-0-94341700-1357007060_thumb.j

Edited by skysoldier46

Jim,

This is looking very good indeed! The colour is a perfect match, although with all the dirt on the original vehicles it's difficult to determine the correct colour. I may have a go at the Duel truck and trailer some time in the future. This build will be an invaluable reference. Many Thanks for taking the tame to post details and sharing this superb build with us.

You may be surprised at this but I did not use my airbrush for the paint application. I went to the local hobby store and bought 2 cans of Tamiya Red Brown and 2 cans of Wooden Deck Tan and laid down a first coat of red brown, let that dry, then added an overspray of tan and kept building coats up until I got what I thought was a nice last coat of paint. Your right tho, there are so many variations in coloring and so many ideas on what the actual color was, you really can't go wrong with a close match.

I got a model in yesterday (1928 Lincoln) and today will start working on the headlight attachment points. I will rebuild those since the Pete kit is not the right shape (too fat) and will start wiring and some plumbing also.

I did not do the butterfly hood on this model. Couldn't get small enough hinges so I took another old kit and narrowed the hood and used that instead. I will build another tractor tho and it will have a working butterfly hood. Also the Cat air cleaner on the right side is the upright version but the original tractor in the movie had the horizontal one. That will also be corrected on the next tractor build since I built the horizontal one last night.

All in all I'm pleased with this version. I really wish I had the trailer cast in resin and could use the molds later for other rigs but live and learn.

If you are interested in a FREE version look here:

http://paperoom.blogspot.com/

Tenth model from the top in the left column

Only 1/50 scale and PAPER, but Still FREE. It may also add a little in

detail work on the larger build.

Click on the picture itself to get the pdf file

He offers the Valiant too, but as a Purchase through ecardmodels.

It is 1/33 scale

Be advised though, the site is in Portuguese, he is from Brazil.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Thanks Ben. I also got that group off eBay from you a few days ago.

I think that must have been from Jamie directly. He sometimes puts a few things on Ebay to see how well they'll do. His Ebay Id is Mack3241.

Edited by Ben

added headlights and did some fine tuning. now just waiting on minipl8's decals and modeltrucking decals and then on to the weathering, my favorite part of model building.

I know the breather on the right side is the vertical one but will put a horizontal one on my next 281. I built the horizontal one last night.

post-10788-0-17933800-1357954237_thumb.j

post-10788-0-39323300-1357954284_thumb.j

post-10788-0-56489600-1357954346_thumb.j

added headlights and did some fine tuning. now just waiting on minipl8's decals and modeltrucking decals and then on to the weathering, my favorite part of model building.

I know the breather on the right side is the vertical one but will put a horizontal one on my next 281. I built the horizontal one last night.

I think you parked in a baaaad neighborhood!!!!! They stole your wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I got you parts today and I'll be taking them to the post office in the morning.