Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Ford flathead questions

I'm looking for some expert advice to a few questions. I am building a 50 Ford sedan and I want to put the flathead from the 50 Ford pickup in it. Everything is different. The pickup motor mounts on pads connected to the frame where the coupe engine glues to the cross member at the oil pan. Secondly, the transmissions are a different length. Are they both correct for their respective vehicles? To put the pickup engine in the sedan should I remove the pad mounts from the engine and set it on the cross member, or make pad mounts for the frame and glue the engine to it? Which would be correct?

Thanks for any help AND PHOTOS, IF YOU HAVE THEM.

Later-

If I recall correctly, the Ford truck didn't use the '50 car-style mounts until 1952.

This should be like the '50 truck front mounts, on the water pumps.....

engine-no_fenders.jpg

...and this should be like the '50 car front mount, bolted to the block between the pumps

53truck_eng_frontL.jpg

In 1:1, to put the truck engine in the car, easiest thing is just swap the pumps and mounts. OR you COULD fabricate frame mounts that the truck engine could bolt to. Either or.

Right off hand, I don't know about the lengths of the respective transmissions in the kits.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Bill

Wow! Thanks for the answer and the pictures. I think that I will fabricate mounts for the pickup motor set up since the pickup motor has much better mold detail than the coupe engine( actually it is the old 50 Ford convertible kit engine.) I have the pickup kit to use as reference for scratch building the mounts. Thanks again for the help.

Later-