Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Corvette C3 WIP

mad mike

That's the last post this evening, I promise ;)

Currently sitting on my workbench ist a beautiful 'Vette, this time not a scratchbuilt one like my Cheetah and Cobra kits.

I used Revell's C3 model and took it a little back in time, when those chrome bumpers were still in vogue.

Aside from the front, the complete rear deck and bumper have been remodeled too. All the Revell chassis parts still fit.

But I'm not going to use the original wheels, not with those sexy fender flares!

Can't wait to paint that one, but I have to tell all you Vette fans out there: It won't be red. Maybe just a little, though ;]

DSC_0034.jpg

More pics sometime soon!

Edited by mad mike

And if you're looking for wheel suggestions, I think this style Halibrand looks fantastic on a flared C3. But I have no idea about availability in 1/8 scale.

50ac1pa.jpg

Not a great pic, but here they are on a friend's car:

141JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

@ Trae: Sorry bout the "not red" choice, I'll be reserving that color for my C2 project ;]

And true, I'm still thinking about the wheel thing. Got some Halibrands from my Cobra:

DSC_0025.jpg

But I also got American Racing Torque Thrusts

DSC_0024.jpg

and I'm currently making AR 500s:

ar_500.jpg

Really a tough choice... What do you think?

And hey, I'm really envious of you guys owning such beautiful cars... here in Germany, we've got to do with Porsches and the like :rolleyes:

Edited by mad mike

@ Trae: Sorry bout the "not red" choice, I'll be reserving that color for my C2 project ;]

Just giving you a hard time. ;)

But ...

155587233302.jpg

:o

Really a tough choice... What do you think?

Lots of wheels look great on them. If you do a Google search for "Best custom wheels on a C3?", you'll find a fairly lengthy thread on corvetteforum.com - lots of nice ones in there. And you'll notice the Torque Thrust style are very popular on them.

And thanks for the kind words. But I'm thinking having to "deal with Porsches" isn't all that bad. ;)

@ Trae: For that, my Boxster gives you the evil look and says: Black is beautiful! :)

DSC_0006.jpg

I saw a lot of black C3s with overall chrome rims, but I think that even with Torque Thrusts (which have less optical impact than e.g. Halibrands)

it's just too much. Guess I'll try some of the "shoes" on when the body is painted and make some photos. We'll see then.

@ Art Laski, Mark Taylor: I'm really sorry about this. Something went wrong with updating the pic, which is in much better quality now.

Since there's so much appreciation of this project, I've got two pics from BEFORE painting the body with filler:

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Outstanding work, Mike!

So you've converted the Monogram '78-'79 into a '69? How did you make the rear sections and L-88 hood?

And are you planning on side exhaust?

@ Trae: For that, my Boxster gives you the evil look and says: Black is beautiful! :D

:lol::lol:

Nice car! B)

Edited by Trae

@ Trae: I used a Revell '69 in 1/24 for reference and carved those sections by hand.

Basically, after cutting the old parts, you glue in a large chunk of modeling foam and model it to fit the body lines.

Of course, I cannot guarantee that my car represents a '69 body exactly, but I like it the way it is... lots ;)

And yes, I'm going to fit Hooker sidepipes, with all those sexy bends.

What do you think about heat shields?

And I'm not yet sure wether to use a Le Mans filler cap or the usual with the emblem...

fr6009.jpg

Being as crazy as I am, I just finished my first cast of the body a few minutes ago.

To give you a big hint, it's going to be converted to a curbside Phase III... :);):D

Wow, great work so far, and I will be following this one very closely! Oh, and by the way, don't pay any attention to Trae and his choice of colors......he's only had one Vette.......so he's never had any other color! ;)B)

Oh, and by the way, don't pay any attention to Trae and his choice of colors......he's only had one Vette.......so he's never had any other color! ;):blink:

I can't help it that I got it right the first time! :P

And yes, I'm going to fit Hooker sidepipes, with all those sexy bends.

What do you think about heat shields?

And I'm not yet sure wether to use a Le Mans filler cap or the usual with the emblem...

I think the Hooker style is the best option to compliment the flares. And personally, I think they look better without the heat shields. If that's the direction you go, I wouldn't hesitate to use the LeMans type cap.

To give you a big hint, it's going to be converted to a curbside Phase III... :P;):D

Wow, I'll certainly be tuned in for that one! :blink:

DSC_0024.jpg

MAN!!! a Cheetah, i haven't seen one since i was a littie dude with my HO road race set. ( I love it ) and torgue thrusts are o so cool on everthing. Like the vette, will be looking in.

Edited by baddgass

@ Trae: Yeah, that's a nice one! those flares look just like mine, with the exception that mine are going to have a sharp edge.

Yesterday, I fitted my Torque Thrusts with those knock-off nuts, and I thought it looks strange. Your pic shows it's being done after all...

I'm about to get the Rapid-Prototyping parts for the Vette, and I'll post pictures as soon as I have 'em.

Did I mention that I'm going to give her movable headlights? :)

By the way, what's the story about the "Stingray" side emblem being on only a few '69 Vettes?

And I'd like to use the Bullet-mirror, like on my Cheetah and Cobra. Hope that's not a serious style flaw...

:)

By the way, what's the story about the "Stingray" side emblem being on only a few '69 Vettes?

All '69s had the Stingray badge......but only a very few, very late model year '68s had them. They came back with the badge to answer complaints from customers about it not being there, created a new one and spelled it different from previous ones (one word instead of two) and planned to put it on the '69 anyway, but put it on a very few '68s. By the way, the pic Trae posted is a '68. (and once upon a time, many years ago, I owned a '68......if only I had known........)

Great work, by the way. Can't wait to see updates!

@ Trae: Yeah, that's a nice one! those flares look just like mine, with the exception that mine are going to have a sharp edge.

Yesterday, I fitted my Torque Thrusts with those knock-off nuts, and I thought it looks strange. Your pic shows it's being done after all...

I'm about to get the Rapid-Prototyping parts for the Vette, and I'll post pictures as soon as I have 'em.

Did I mention that I'm going to give her movable headlights? :)

And I'd like to use the Bullet-mirror, like on my Cheetah and Cobra. Hope that's not a serious style flaw...

Seems to me that Talbot mirrors would be a common aftermarket part. I put them on my 50s and 60s Alfas.

I don't know why those would be a style flaw, they would probably look great! B)

And FYI, the sport mirrors from the Monogram kit didn't become an option until 1977, I believe. So if you're trying to keep it 'period correct', I wouldn't use those.

All '69s had the Stingray badge......but only a very few, very late model year '68s had them. They came back with the badge to answer complaints from customers about it not being there, created a new one and spelled it different from previous ones (one word instead of two) and planned to put it on the '69 anyway, but put it on a very few '68s. By the way, the pic Trae posted is a '68.

Yep, all '69 through '76 had the Stingray badges.

And yes, that pic is a '68. The doors give it away - only the '68 had indentions at the lock cylinders.

The second generation Corvette (1963-67) was badged as a "Sting Ray."

The third generation Corvette (1968-76) was badged as a "Stingray" (one word, no space between Sting and Ray)... except the '68, which had no Stingray badging at all.

After the '76 model year the "Stingray" name was dropped altogether, and since then they are just "Corvettes."

It's a sickness you know, one that has no cure....................................:rolleyes: Glad to see I'm not alone in my suffering......:blink: :blink:

Michael, where to start............

First : SUPER work.

I'm a lover of the first real Corvette, the 68-69 models. (no disrespect for lovers of ALL Corvettes) :)

I see you let it slip (big hint)....a Phase III ?? Could you possibly be referring to my other passion, a BM produced Supercar.....?? :unsure: That would be AWESOME !

PS: I love your other builds too, the Cheetah and Cobra, but you stole my heart when I saw a thread for this C3. B)