Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... Thank you for the kind words. you are welcome for the Alclad color guide, I wasn't sure how many people knew about it or not and thought it would be good to share.

Gabriel... I originally shot it with the ALC-101 aluminum and I know that color isn't the best match. I never did think of shooting some dullcote over it. I just picked up some of the Semi-Matte Aluminum from Hobby Depot and I have been torn between the ALC-117 Dull aluminum and the ALC-116 Semi-Matte Aluminum. I think I may need to do a spoon test of each. I really need to be smart and have a bunch of spoons pre primered...lol

Ok Fellas.... I did a real quick spoon test as well as painted the manifold. Here are a few pics:

Here is the manifold painted with Alclad Magnesium:

DP-Army-Vega4036-1_zpsf66ae0ec.jpg

Different Lighting:

DP-Army-Vega4032-1_zps46af879f.jpg

Army-34copy_zpsbf5462b8.jpg

Spoon Test... ALC-117 Dull Aluminum over a black base (Left Spoon) ALC-117 Dull Aluminum over gray primer base (middle spoon)..... Magnesium over gray primer (right spoon), Pics taken inside

DP-Army-Vega4028-1_zpsc1573c2b.jpg

Outside Pics: Dull Aluminum over black base (left spoon)...... Dull Aluminum over gray primer base (right spoon):

DP-Army-Vega4038-1_zps1aa5e7a5.jpg

Looks really good so far Chris. I can't really see the manifold in the engine pic, but the Magnesium looks spot on for the doohickies right at the top of the blower. As for the block, based on the pictures of the airplane, it looks to be somewhere between the steel and the semi matte aluminum. Just my two cents of course. Any which way you go, it's going to be absolutely stellar!

Chris, seeing your progress here is ultra impressive mate, you have been busy. lol :)

Been away so long I'm feeling a bit like poor John above (I had to go back to p112 :( )....overwhelmed by your work and dedication to excellence mate.

Bravo maestro. (insert round of applause here)

The rolling chassis looks wicked man, and don't get me started on 3D work. ;) Your bottles look awesome BTW. :) B) I think I'm back in the saddle for the long haul now, so I'll be able to keep tabs on this a lot more closely.

Two thumbs up from your long lost Aussie bud. :D

Edited by stump

Clint... thanks for the kind words. Here is another shot of the engine at different angle where you can see the manifold. I will have to say I am pretty happy with the color I sprayed on it...lol

Army-27copy_zps0112b77e.jpg

Gabriel... Thank you... I have to agree with you that the right spoon is the color that it will get sprayed.

John... thank you for the nice words and for taking a few hours to go thru part of this thread. I know there are a lot of pages to go thru. Thank you for following along.

Greg... Hey my long lost Aussie mate... How you doing buddy? It's great to hear from you and see you are back online. Thank you for the kind words. I have been a little busy on this and getting more done, I really can't wait until I have the motor assembled. I am getting really close to starting it but still have a few parts that need a little work to them. I look forward to see progress on some of your steller builds. Have you done anymore to the Pro Mod Camaro of yours??

So Fellas... I have some good news or what I think is good news. I finished all of the prep work on the block yesterday and got another couple coats of primer on it. I had it sitting under my make shift heat lamp to help the primer cure faster and It is ready to be painted. At the same time I sanded down the oil pan because it had some scuff marks in the paint from my height stand I made way back to get it to set at the correct height when I was making all of the mount brackets and well I couldn't let it fly so its going to get repainted as well. Then I also wasn't happy with the heads because I saw that they had a few sand scratches in them. So I decided to repaint them, the heads had too much of a gloss look so once I paint the black again I will hit them with some sort of a satin clear to tone it down. Hopefully I will be able to break the airbrush out today and spray these parts, if not I will spray them tomorrow Here are a couple of pic of the parts in their last days of primer... :lol: ... B)

Before I primered the block, I started making a mounting plate for the Fuel pump that will be scratch build for this:

DP-Army-Vega4041-1_zps6031fcb2.jpg

Here is the block with the final primer coat on it. All I am going to do is hit a few of the spots that there was dust in it with some fine paper before it is painted:

DP-Army-Vega4043-1_zps9c036ae6.jpg

All of these parts are ready to be painted:

DP-Army-Vega4047-1_zpse7f05676.jpg

Looking good, Chris!

Missed you at GoodGuys! You would have loved it. A 1/6 scale scratchbuilt funny car, a 1/8 scale scratchbuilt top fuel dragster, and a "pedal car" Austin with blower and injector (from a Harley!).

Plus tons of 1/24 and 1/25 models of all natures!

Well, there's always Spring Nationals (March 2014)!

Bob... I got the gaskets covered already ;)

Oil Pan and Head Gaskets:

DP-Army-Vega4055-1_zps2c2ea123.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4057-1_zps8eccb5ea.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4058-1_zps99fc4ded.jpg

Danno.... thanks my friend. I was really hoping to make it out there this past weekend and wan't able to get there. Man I missed out on some good stuff. Did you by change get any pictures of the 1/6th scale funny car and 1/8th scale dragster?? Would loved to of seen them. I will make sure and make it out to the Goodguys show in march.

Scott... Thanks brother!! the pieces are starting to fall together.....lol I hope anyway :lol:

Yep Chris, now that I've seen the other pic with a better view of the manifold, You definitely got the right color for it. I also think I was wrong about the block color. The second pci it appears lighter. So, I think you nailed that color too(not that I doubted you would get it wrong) :) . I can't wait to see this one finished, but I'll hate to see it end! There is just so much awesomeness here.

As a side question, Are any of these 1/16 funny cars/pro mods etc. available in kit form or is it (what I'm guessing) buy or make a body, get a bunch of aftermarket parts, and scratchbuild the rest? the more I look at these big scale drag cars, the more I wanna build one but, I don't think I have near the skill to pull it all off.

Robert... thank you for the kind words. I know you may not see much of the gaskets when it is installed, for example the oil pan one but knowing its there makes it feel right.

John... Thanks my Big Brother.....When I grow up and learn how to build I wanna be like you ;):lol: .... I still have troubles with shooting Alclad from time to time.

Clint... thank you very much about the block color. I can't wait to see all of these parts together now that there is paint on them. Very Exciting. To answer your question about the 1/16th scale stuff. There are some 1/16th scale kits available although they aren't in current production but you can find them on ebay or at swap meets. If you hang tight for a few month Revell will be realeasing a 1/16th scale funny car which will have new rims and tires in them. One of the members here was working with them to get some new and updated parts. You will find that most of the funny car its out there that Revell did all have the same basic chassis with a few different bodies. There are also a couple different 1/16th scale Front Engine Dragsters and also a couple of rear engine dragsters as well. As far as the pro mods go, there are no kits for them. You would need to start with a Pro Mod Body from an aftermarket company and then using bits and pieces from different kits and aftermarket companies. I have to tell you ever since I started 1/16th scale kits I have fallen in love with building them. They are a little easier to detail since they are bigger :lol: . I say go for it and try one sometime. There are a bunch of talented modelers here that would be more than happy to give any advice you need building one.

Ok Fellas..... Some good news and some bad news.... Good news....I got paint on the parts and am pretty happy with the results for the most part other than the heads. I am going to have to reshoot them as the process I was doing for them after I based them in black. I had mixed up some clear and matte clear from Alclad to give me just a sheen to the paint. Well my Dumb Arse decided to hold the airbrush too close with a little higher pressure and I only laid down one coat and it dried funny like it ran. Doh!! :angry: But It will get fixed. Here are some pics

Please excuse the crappy pics I was in a rush to take them but here they are:

Block Painted Alclad Dull Aluminum:

DP-Army-Vega4069-1_zps76bcf080.jpg

Outside pic to see the color:

DP-Army-Vega4063-1_zps31cf7e31.jpg

Oil Pan Repainted:

DP-Army-Vega4073-1_zpsf6eacea9.jpg

Heads painted HOK black base, then sprayed a mixture of Alclad gloss clear mixed with the matte clear to put a sheen to it;

DP-Army-Vega4075-1_zpsa6ba3c7d.jpg

Here is a view of my Oops of having the airbrush too close to the part, and mind you this was only one coat of it.... :lol: ....Bone head move by me :wacko:

DP-Army-Vega4080-1_zpsd681020d.jpg

Posted by Mooneyzs Today, 01:41 AM

Greg... Hey my long lost Aussie mate... How you doing buddy? It's great to hear from you and see you are back online. Thank you for the kind words. I have been a little busy on this and getting more done, I really can't wait until I have the motor assembled. I am getting really close to starting it but still have a few parts that need a little work to them. I look forward to see progress on some of your steller builds. Have you done anymore to the Pro Mod Camaro of yours??

Hehehe, yeah, going ok mate.....just getting ready to hit my stride again. :)

This motor of yours is gonna be off da hook by the time you get done my friend. B) I could throw a few more superlatives at it, but I think everyone else has it covered. :)

Just GREAT work mate, and an inspiration for anyone who checks it out. As I mentioned some time back, this build will aid my F/Car build enormously once I start. ;)

And yes....mine is back on track. I have drawn up a fresh set of chassis plans and plan to bombard you all here very soon. :D

Greg... Thanks Mate!! I am glad to hear that you are going to be hitting your stride again. I can not wait to see your big scale funny car build. That is going to be awesome. I can not wait to see your pro mod back on track.

Joe... Thank you so much, I appreciate you following along on this adventure.

Alan.... Thank you.... I have to be honest, I really hope its ready for the Winternationals...... ;) . Please don't don't toss your F/C out. that's the last thing i ever want my build to do is discourage others.

Well Fellas... I got some good news, I was able to spend a little time earlier repainting the heads and I have to say I am much happier with the results. This time I took HOK BC-25 Black Base and I added some flattening agent to it. I started out by spraying a spoon with no flattening agent in it then I proceeded to add flattening agent a little at a time and doing sample sprays on spoons to get the result I wanted. took me a total of 4 times of adding a little more flattening agent to the base until I got the result I wanted. I sprayed 2 coats of the base on the heads and I think they turned out great. Here is the results.....

Heads, Header Side Painted:

DP-Army-Vega4086-1_zpsa60ea008.jpg

Heads, Manifold Side Painted:

DP-Army-Vega4087-1_zpsb9fc1449.jpg

One End of the Heads:

DP-Army-Vega4089-1_zps38817b6b.jpg

Other End of the Heads:

DP-Army-Vega4093-1_zpsd316e09e.jpg