Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 70.5 ADRL Extreme Pro Mod Camaro Update: 6/4 addition of wheelie bar

looking good there man keep us posted

Thanks Dalton for the complement, from a fellow modeler.

My thoughts exactly........ :blink:

Bart, for such a simple idea, I thank you. :) Been scratching my head looking for ways to secure my 1/12 doors. (bingo ! B) )

Great work my friend, keep it going.

Thanks Greg for the kind words. I am excited, it sound's like my little tidbit of information will be beneficial for plenty on the forums. :P

streetisneat

Thanks Paul for the complement!

Prostreet

Thanks Joe, maybe it is something you can even throw into your Pro Mod build as well. :)

futurattraction

Scott, I appreciate you pointing me towards that site. I am looking to get a spring around .078" OD or smaller if possible. However most of the extension springs are around that .125 size you are saying. The smaller diameter seem to be in the compression springs, so I may have to see if I can form a loop on each end and still use the Compression spring instead.

I am an overly detailed person, and sometimes I think I spend more time then necessary trying to figure out how to make something better. This is my nemesis I guess you could say!

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Bart... you have done an amazing job on the door latch pieces. nice job. I have a couple of places for you to look for springs

http://www.centuryspring.com/

You can search by size, ID, OD, Over all length, wire dia.....

and another one is:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

I would go with century spring first. not sure how small mcmaster has them.

I look forward to more progress on this build.

Bart,

I looked at the centuryspring site. They've got .063, .078 and .094 OD extensions. Not sure what length you're looking at, but hopefully there'll be something that would help you out. I missed seeing your compliment re my PE parts several entries back. I really appreciate your saying that! Talk to you later... Scott

Bart,

I looked at the centuryspring site. They've got .063, .078 and .094 OD extensions. Not sure what length you're looking at, but hopefully there'll be something that would help you out. I missed seeing your compliment re my PE parts several entries back. I really appreciate your saying that! Talk to you later... Scott

Hey Scott.... got a link to see your PE parts at?? any 1/16th scale stuff by chance?

Bart: I will send the NOS and fire tanks tomorrow and should have the wheels done in a few days. I made the fittings on the tops removable so you have options on mounting your hardware. Thanks

Sweet!!! I am excited to get this home Jim, Thanks for the pic they look Awesome! I appreciate the extra Mile you put into them by including the removable tips. Now I can wrap up my mounts for the fire suppression bottles in the back and the NOS tanks on the passengers side mounting brackets with the CO2 mount for my shifters.

Now I am excited to see my rear wheels. By chance did you get my last email about the clutch can?

I got the email I guess I forgot to reply. Sometimes I think I did something but really didn't. It is hell getting old. It will be no problem to make the clutch can and including the flange is not a problem as long as it is .010" or thicker. Just send or email me a drawing. Thanks

Edited by MicroNitro

Isn't Jim good? He's helping me with a set of 1/25th scale 15" diameter Super Trick wheels with crowned centers, front and rear. Hopefully I'll have some pics of the finished wheels before too long.

I would have to agree, I think Jim is a great guy and easy to work with. I hope he doesn't mind the multiple emails that I send him. :D

Those Crager Super Trick wheels look very similar to the old Centerline wheels a friend use to run on his Cutlas.

Bart... thanks for the link, when you get your springs would like to see the placement of the spring in the door if you happen to take a pic by chance. I think I get where its gonna go though.

Jim... Those Nitrous and CO2 Tanks look great. I have to ask what do you charge for them? they are very nice.

Scott.... Jim does some great work thats for sure.

Bart... thanks for the link, when you get your springs would like to see the placement of the spring in the door if you happen to take a pic by chance. I think I get where its gonna go though.

Jim... Those Nitrous and CO2 Tanks look great. I have to ask what do you charge for them? they are very nice.

Scott.... Jim does some great work thats for sure.

I will try and take another picture before wrapping it up so everyone can see the spring placement.

Chris you have a PM!

What a coool idea!! Really small springs can be found in the pins that hold bands on watches. They are really small though and may be too small. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks Brad, I pulled one apart and those are a Compression spring and they have no give what so ever in the extension direction that I need. Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely keep the one I have for something somewhere!

Bart,

I called Century Spring and they have something that may work, however the catch is the Minimum order is $40.00. The bad part is that the spring I was looking at, they charge $10 for each spring, so it is a Catch 22.

I called Century Spring and they have something that may work, however the catch is the Minimum order is $40.00. The bad part is that the spring I was looking at, they charge $10 for each spring, so it is a Catch 22.

Wow what is it about it that they charge so much?

Bart, your door detail is fantastic. I will also say that I will have to be trying out your hinge method on my next pro mod subject. As far as the spring hunt goes, the perfect size spring for what you need is as close as your nearest hardware store that sells or re-keys door locks. The springs inside a door lock mechanism are the perfect size for what you need with just the right type of tension. Check it out. If you can't find anything near you let me know. I have quite a few and can afford to spare a couple.

Wow what is it about it that they charge so much?

Jim, not sure I think they think they are made of Gold! They can keep them because I figured it out Thanks to Wayne. I stopped by my dads and he had some compression springs out of a lock just as Wayne described. I rigged it up and it is perfectly smooth. Now I can get it primed up and try and get a Youtube video up for everyone to see. Stay tuned, as I have the next 5 days off for Vacation, so I plan on getting some work done on this puppy.

Bart... I had no idea those small of a spring would be that much for them. It may be that the process to make them is more complicated than some of their other ones. But glad you found others that would work. I look forward to seeing pics and a video. That is going to be to totally cool. Man I sure wish I could have 5 days off to just work on my builds...lol

Ok, without further a due here is the video of the Working door lock. In the resting position the door would be locked. When the handle is pulled back towards the driver (unlocked position).

Let me know what you thing. As well again, Thanks to Wayne for the great suggestion of using Lock springs, they are a compression type and actually much better than I was thinking originally in going with the extension type. This way it doesn't put undue stress on the PE door lever.

(Just click on the picture and it will start the video through Photobucket)

th_MVI_3441.jpg

Edited by eviltwincustoms