Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Amtronic

kenb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine yesterday and this issue is better than my 1969 version!! With clear and green tint glass, glossy box and diorama and the solar power roof sticker is back but with a slightly different pattern but thumbs up to R2 for putting it back in. Didn't need more of these as I stocked up when my LHS dumped the 2000 version for $9....but this is nice.

• 5 years later...

I built this kit in the summer of 1970. I was 15 years old. I thought it was so cool. It was the most detailed kit I had built. When I joined the Army I gave it away along with all of my models. Then in 2017 I retired and started building models again. I said someday I will find this kit again. I wrote AMT and Revell and never got an answer. What I didn't know it was out there all along. I was using the wrong name during my search. One day recently  it showed up on a hobby website I had never herd of and since I didn't know the site I  ended up buying one off of EBay. I knew if I ever found it the kit would be very expensive. What I didn't know was it had been re-released in 2000. So it wasn't expensive at all. Now if I could just find an AMT American La France Hook and Ladder firetruck, first sold in the early 1970s, I will happier then a dog with a bone.

Edited by chippern73
Miss spelled words.

7 hours ago, chippern73 said:

I built this kit in the summer of 1970. I was 15 years old. I thought it was so cool. It was the most detailed kit I had built. When I joined the Army I gave it away along with all of my models. Then in 2017 I retired and started building models again. I said someday I will find this kit again. I wrote AMT and Revell and never got an answer. What I didn't know it was out there all along. I was using the wrong name during my search. One day recently  it showed up on a hobby website I had never herd of and since I didn't know the site I  ended up buying one off of EBay. I knew if I ever found it the kit would be very expensive. What I didn't know was it had been re-released in 2000. So it wasn't expensive at all. Now if I could just find an AMT American La France Hook and Ladder firetruck, first sold in the early 1970s, I will happier then a dog with a bone.

There were three American LaFrance kits that AMT did back then, the Custom Pumper, the Ladder Chief, and the Aero Chief.  The Ladder Chief - which is what I'm guessing you're looking for - was most recently reissued in 2005 as the blandly named "Ladder Fire Truck".  You're going to have to go through eBay, or a vendor that specializes in older kits.  The Aero Chief was reissued in 2016, and the Custom Pumper was reissued in 2017.  Chances are if those kits sold well enough, we'll get another reissue of the Ladder Chief too under the proper name, maybe in the next year or so.

• 3 months later...