Model Cars Magazine Forum

AEC ROUTEMASTER RLM double-decker bus

I guess I´ve just killed this project. I forgot to paint the yellow stripe beforehand, so I did over the red coat. I had to run the masking tape over the rivets and other surface details and decals. I was afraid of bleeding colour under the masking tape. So, the first layer was clear. Then the white base to kill the red. And finally the yellow. Unfortunatelly, I´ve never done this before and when I peeled the tape off, I got this:

P4232007_zps6dd6f2f3.jpg

P4232004_zps1c3b7a13.jpg

P4232002_zps92ed4adf.jpg

P4232000_zps9f982225.jpg

P4231998_zpsc3f78f12.jpg

I should have used decal instead. Now, I don´t know. I don´t think I´m able to fix it unless I strip the coat completely off. Suggestions are welcome.

try taking some wax or rubbing compound to the area with a fine tipped swabbed. They are made just for this purpose but if you done have them try making some by cutting a swab down with an Xacto knife take your time. I've rubbed out worse than that before

Jarda,

Before you strip all the paint off and start again. Have you considered getting some yellow stripes from Microscale Details www.microscale.com These would cover all the imperfections in the yellow paint and give a very crisp fine edge to the yellow stripe. I have started using their stripes on many of my builds, the quality is excellent.

By the way excellent work so far!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your tips. I stripped off the yellow stripes and replaced them by decals. The edges are straight now but the decals do not cover the mess I left underneath them. I added yet another layer to make it look a little better. I hope it´ll be okay after weathering.

I attached the body panels to the skeleton and it finally starts looking like a bus.

P6212247_zpseb354b1e.jpg

P6212250_zpsd5ac049a.jpg

P6212251_zpsd82ff5f6.jpg

I replaced the kit grab handles on both decks by pieces of stainless wire cut to length. My alclad chrome just didn´t look too well. Here is the upper deck with the original handles cut off.

P6212252_zps0b7b7aff.jpg

A peep look to the lower deck.

P6212258_zpsc5a86b78.jpg

P6212255_zpsf52decf1.jpg

I´ll be back in a minute...

With the front upper part having the PE grille I had to paint the area behind it black real quick.

P6262267_zpse23b53f0.jpg

P6262269_zps1ae5fd17.jpg

The commercials on the sides was another challenge. First I wanted to cut the decals to smaller pieces and apply them one by one. But then I changed my mind and placed them as a whole. The crackers worked pretty well but the museum gave some hard times. The decal was slightly bigger then the area it was supposed to squeeze in. There were too many air bubbles trapped in. So I took a needle and jabbed the air pockets one by one to release the air and then I brushed the whole decal with hypersol which is one of the magic liquids to help set the decal and copy all the surface details like panel joints, grooves, rivets and such.

P7042278_zps8d8c8581.jpg

P7042281_zps22e033f0.jpg

P7042285_zps7fba9446.jpg

The roof is just resting on top. I have to make up my mind if I should cement it and strengthen the body or just snap it in.

This is a very cool build. I did check and one of those will fit on the top shelf in my display case! I'm waiting until I see one at a show at a decent price. Eventually someone who bought one new will get tired of that huge box banging around in their model collection!

Excellent build and nice weathering. Infact, I like the fact that you choose light weathering. The company prides themselves in keeping the busses clean and in good working order.

That said... now you need some people inside. B)

Thank you all very much for your comments. I was satisfied with the way the outter parts of the body fit and match their counterparts. But, there was a gap between two panels in the back. I tried to pretend it is not there but you know how that usually ends. The gap seemed to be wider and wider each time it cought my eye. So, I took a scrap plastic, the putty and fixed the son of a BEEP.

P7052290_zpsf48759d1.jpg

P7072291_zps46f4d582.jpg

P7082300_zps1fcfceb4.jpg

P7102306_zps1c10855c.jpg

The white line is a polishing compound residue. It´s all gone at the moment. The repair is not perfect but I hope the weathering will help some.

Just read through your thread and I am stunned by your build. Your detailing is amazing and having built one of these without the PE detailing, im impressed with all the extra work that you put into yours!!

Not wanting to hijack your thread but this is my one...

2012-07-21094940.jpg

Mine is pretty much built as a showpiece or maybe one that's been restored, I tend to shy away from weathering my models for fear of overdoing it but you have pulled yours of just right!!

Again, excellent job, you should be proud!!