Model Cars Magazine Forum

2001 Ram trail rig

Has anyone ever used Tamiya plastic putty before? Hobby Lobby had some on sale so I grabbed a tube. It's like liquid plastic mixed with cement, so it actually bonds with styrene. Pretty good for filling, but takes forever to dry.

I have some and for me, it seems like it dries in about 30 seconds.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, nothing new to report. I was fully prepared to build the front axle, but after i reviewed my initial sketch of the measurements I had taken for it, something didn't add up, so I wanted to get back under it and measure again. Life got in the way. Between moving halfway across the country, a death in the family, the freak snow storms we've had recently, and the beginning of the autocross season (my other big passion) I haven't been able to get back at it. All the parts I had on order have arrived though.

The Torqflite 727 from M.A.D (Morgan Automotive Detail). A few little changes and it will suffice as a 46RE-

transmission.jpg

The excellent lightbar from Dave Panek-

lightbar2.jpg

I have to say that dealing with M.A.D and Dave were great experiences, and I highly recommend either of them for your aftermarket needs.

The weather is supposed to be clear this coming weekend, and I will try to get under the truck and measure it up. Hopefully I can get some progress made next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally something to report. I remeasured the front axle and worked it all out in scale. I had a few minutes today so i got a good start on it.

A straight rod through the Dana 44 from the Ramcharger-

front1.jpg

Some parts box spindles to replicate the 4WD spindles-

front3.jpg

Spring perches-

front4.jpg

Control arm brackets-

front5.jpg

Glued and drying-

front11.jpg

Now I need to work out some springs and build some upper perches. I also got some basic measurements for the transmission skid plate and crossmember. More tomorrow.

i really like how you are building this truck. Your scratch building skill are really good!

Thanks!

I got a bit more done.

I pulled a set of shocks from a NASCAR truck. Surprisingly, all of them were perfect length. I snagged some more parts from a 1968 Corvette. After a bit of modifying, and some solder springs, the front axle is just about ready to get mounted-

front12.jpg

front14.jpg

I modified the 727 a bit. Longer tailshaft, and deeper trans pan. I also added some ribbing and grooves for a bit more depth. I think it will do the job-

engine6.jpg

engine7.jpg

• 2 months later...

Nothing new to report. This project took a side seat to a few other "quick" builds I've got going on, as well as my full size car race season and new house. Hopefully I can get something going next month.

Thanks for staying on me to keep it going!

Nice scratch building on this one! I don't know how I've missed this build.

BTW, have you looked at B-N-L resins? They have some great Dana axles and transfer cases, so you don't have to rob your kits for parts if you don't want to. I've got the Dana 44 and Dana 60 center sections from them and they are nice. Shipping isn't bad either.

http://www.b-n-lresins.com/photo3_5.html

Some nice stuff there. I hadn't seen it before. Fortunately, the Ramcharger kit will be getting a nice build wth a bunch of parts box 4x4 stuff I've got lying around. I may pick up a few pieces from BNL to spruce it up.

• 1 month later...

Tiny update. I finally got back at it.

I built the tire carrier-

bumper6.jpg

I started in on the transmission crossmember. I cut the kit piece out, flipped it around and moved it forward. Then I built the transfer case support. I still need to trim it up and add the skid plate. I sort of fudged the location of both the crossmembers since my kitbashed engine/trans isn't the right length, but it looks close enough-

crossmember1.jpg

crossmember2.jpg

crossmember3.jpg

I also opened up the front fenders and added some locating blocks in preparation to mount the front suspension-

front15.jpg

The engine is also progressing. I've ended up having to build the entire belt drive since I couldn't find a good kit piece anywhere that matched close enough.

• 1 month later...

You beat me to it. :lol: I had planned to do an update this week.

I've finished up the control arms. They didn't work exactly as planned, but they will do. Just a bit more tweaking of the brackets and they'll be ok-

controlarms1.jpg

controlarms2.jpg

controlarms3.jpg

controlarms4.jpg

I've had some fitment issues with the engine/trans. I needed to make a few adjustments to get it in the right place and still look convincing with the skidplate, etc.

I've also started piecing together the steering and sway bar. Literally, just pieces, pulled from several parts bins. I also stole the visor off a Revell Ford pickup and made a transfer case lever from a NASCAR shifter-

20131103_215152.jpg

I've also spent hours editing photos of the graphics on the side of the truck, the license plates, and all the other exterior stickers. I have a backlog of decals I need to print not only for this, but for some other models I've got going. I prefer to fit as many as I can on each sheet of decal paper instead of wasting it. The start of my latest sheet. It will include about 5 models (the Ram graphics aren't on it yet)-

test.jpg