Model Cars Magazine Forum

CROSSROADS BLUES RAT ROD (STACEY DAVID 32)

Dr. Cranky

Been doing some research on what Billy Gibbons names his guitars, and one of them, a Gibson Esquire, he calls BONES. Oh yeah, so this is giving me plenty of ideas.

CROSSROADS BLUES RAT ROD ("The Gibson Bones Limited" for Billy Gibbons of ZZ TOP)

I knew this would happen. I knew this kit would arrive and I would have to stop everything and build one.

It arrived early and I did an

of it and the more I looked at the kit, the more it called out to me to make it look worn.

The kind of proper homage that perhaps Doctor Cranky could ever offer one of his musical muses (Mr. Billy Gibbons of ZZ TOP fame!)

Anyway, I am building this kit, fast, pretty much box stock, and the intention here is to have a blast with hit and see what happens.

So stay tuned in CRANKYHEADS for pictures and progress . . .

Edited by Dr. Cranky

I'm tuned in, can't wait. Of course I'm always tuned in to anything you build Doc. Don't forget the guitar with exhaust pipes. :lol:

YOU BETCHA, and I gotta look at Mr. Gibbon's guitar collection to see if I painted it like one of his.

Loving this kit, LOVING IT.

I cut off the box top just to have around for visual inspiration, although this build is going to deviate from the original in a whole bunch of ways.

IMG_0166-vi.jpg

I began by drilling out these port holes that in the original will have lots of decal work just to make them look like port holes. I like this look better, it's a bit of work, but it's all about the journey.

This ride has been through hell and back and it's lived to tell the tale:

IMG_0168-vi.jpg

A pretty crankshaft from the parts box makes a nice front frame bar. The moon tank is going to be relocated to the back.

IMG_0169-vi.jpg

I de-chromed all the parts because there's going to be very little shiny in this build (sorry Jim S.):

IMG_0177-vi.jpg

IMG_0179-vi.jpg

By the way, the wheels are really really hard to squeeze into the tires, so I am hoping my paint will not get scuffed or wrinkled on the way in.

IMG_0179-vi.jpg

More progress soon, stay tuned in:

IMG_0181-vi.jpg

Thanks, James, well, I think the proper name for this one is going to be "The Gibson Bones Limited," and we'll see how it will turn out.

Things are coming together quickly, including some of the main colors I am seeing: Black & Red with some cool graphics.