Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty Dodge Magnum project

Plasticfanatic

I always wanted the Richard Petty Dodge Magnum in my scale collection...even knowing that the car was not liked by the King because of its lack of performance and power in the race track, I always liked the lines and look of the car...even more in the colors of the King Richard Petty.

I was going to scrachtbuild a NASCAR Magnum body to do my project...but decided to use the already available SMH resin body as a base, what you see here is the "almost" finished body modifications to represent the Magnum, the main work was concentrate in dedoing the wheel arches and sanding down the square body mouldings in the sides, I opened the front glille and front headlight vent also.

is till needs some final fine tunning but I think is almost done in the body department of this particular project.

The black wheels in the pictures will be silver color in the final finished model.

002-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg

Hello Fred...Thanks for sharing this project. I've still got a JNJ Hobbies issue of the Magnum body from the late 80's.

Your post has inspired me to get mine out and start to work on it.

Believe it or not I bought my kit new and for what ever reason, never built. Thanks for your post, and keep us updated as you make progress on it.

I like what I see so far. Keep up the great work!

Vernon

Thanks guys, really appreciate the encouragement and kind comments about this project, I am working on the rollcage now and some other details before starting the engine.

Vernon,

The JNJ Magnum resin body was a nice looking resin body...almost a collector item now, looking forward to see your Magnum project and thanks for the kind words about mine.

Hello again Fred....I started looking mine over last night, just trying to put some ideas together.

Once I figure things out and start work I plan to post some photos.

Being a Richard Petty fan since about 1969 I have many photos of the the Magnum from races I went to during the 1978 season.

You're right about the JNJ body, it's almost to nice to build. I used to buy from JNJ all the time when they were in business.

They were super guys to deal with. John Cisco even called me at home one weekend about an order I had placed.

I miss them. Good luck with project, hope to see more photos.

Vernon