Model Cars Magazine Forum

The New TDR 427 Roadster Kit

Well It was bound to happen........... TDR Innovations is finally bringing you our first complete model kit!!!!!

We have only existed, in our current configuration, for about a year now. In that time TDR Innovations has brought you over 100 1/8th scale model kits. To date all of our kits have been of engines, suspensions, tires, wheels, trannies and frames that you could use to supplement existing kits that are on the market.

Well, no more!!!

After the Christmas sales rush of 2009 calmed down, Don posed the question to us, "What is going to be our big project this year?". Well it did not take long for all the partners to agree that we needed to come up with something big and that that something should be nothing other than the TDR 427 Roadster you see here.

We have been keeping it secret until we were ready for prime time and that time has come. As I am writing this post, the Mad Fabricator is diligently putting the finishing touches on the body master. AJWheels is putting the final touches on that beast of a power plant and tranny. I am doing the initial fit up of all the chassis and interior components.

We do not have a final part count yet, but the number of parts should well exceed 200. These parts will include a complete and detailed adjustable suspension, complete CNC fabricated interior sheet metal components (made from .007" thick aluminium), 427 SO engine with multiple induction setups, and a fiberglass body that can be easily tweaked to make multiple versions of the body (street, Semi-Comp, and Comp)

Right now, as far as the chassis design goes we are focusing on the street version. Once that is complete we will move on to the more radical versions of the Roadster.

Well that is enough talk for right now. Here are some pictures of the CAD models to start things off. There is more to be coming real soon.....I promise!!

I am sure that AJWheels and the Mad Fabricator will be posting up some of there work too.

iso-vi.jpg

dan2-vi.jpg

dan3-vi.jpg

dan4-vi.jpg

dan5-vi.jpg

Tim,

Can't quite tell from the illustrations but I believe the tire well in the trunk floor should tilt downward towards the front.

What car and chassis number were used for drawings and measurements? Restored original, CSX 4000 or KMP replica?

Here are a few pics of our "workhorse" prototype. I am using this to test fit all the parts to. This is the first time the parts are actually coming together in real life. We are just checking them out to see how they fit up and we are testing some new rapid prototyping materials.

All the parts in white are the new RP materials and let me say I am very pleased with them. The tire and wheel that are painted had absolutely NO prep work done to them at all. All I did was shoot a sealer on them and painted them.

Well enough of this, here are a few more pictures that say way more than I want to write and you want to read at this time.

100_3040-vi.jpg

100_3041-vi.jpg

100_3043-vi.jpg

100_3044-vi.jpg

100_3051-vi.jpg

Well, as we have now put this out in the open, I thought I might send along a few images of the 427 side-oiler.........a work in progress, a few different configurations and such..............

post-4885-12837177382028_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837178112768_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837181492191_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837181699656_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837181874367_thumb.jpg

The intent is to make available the single Holley double-pump and down-draft Weber set up (shown), as well as the dual Holley BJ/BK intake (not shown)........also, lurking in the image, in addition to the standard, stamped steel valve covers, are finned, cast aluminum types so common to these motors.......and then there is the extra-capacity, cast oil pan as well........and not to forget, also in work is the 4 speed, toploader transmission to back this all up............

Yep, we're having fun now............can't wait to see all this come together............

Tony

Well, as we have now put this out in the open, I thought I might send along a few images of the 427 side-oiler.........a work in progress, a few different configurations and such..............

post-4885-12837177382028_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837178112768_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837181492191_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837181699656_thumb.jpgpost-4885-12837181874367_thumb.jpg

The intent is to make available the single Holley double-pump and down-draft Weber set up (shown), as well as the dual Holley BJ/BK intake (not shown)........also, lurking in the image, in addition to the standard, stamped steel valve covers, are finned, cast aluminum types so common to these motors.......and then there is the extra-capacity, cast oil pan as well........and not to forget, also in work is the 4 speed, toploader transmission to back this all up............

Yep, we're having fun now............can't wait to see all this come together............

Tony

Sign me up for the single 4-bbl with the center pivot Holley (not catherderal) plain valve covers. Won't need the tranny.

;)

cato, maybe one of the guys from TDR can better answer your question but, i don't think this is a direct copy of any of the cars you mentioned.

Dave-I hope so.

I have some chassis drawings so they're fairly common to obtain. The Kirkham Bros who build the 'Polish Car' (aluminum) have shared some body and chassis reference material with 'BMW Mech', who made a big splash of his total scratch 1/8 Cobra up until about January-then disappeared. He got as far as most of the chassis but I believe he intended to do sheet brass body panels, just like the K Bros build their car. Those replicas are exact BTW unless you desire their billet, non-original suspension and certain options they offer. In fact Shelby buys the Kirkham roller body/chassis for their aluminum car. (Shelby offers a cheaper replica, the f'glass car which is the CSX 4000 series).

I ask the question because this major work will obviously be an expensive kit and authenticity should come with the price. Also there are many replicas out there where 1:1 scratchbuilders try to clone the car. Copying one of those would not be fair to the discerning modeler who pays for an authentic 1/8 replica. I know the TDR group never works from existing models by others so that's not a concern.

So far the chassis looks very good, especially the Sunburst wheels and early G'years. The SideOiler too is very good but may take effort to fill the RP surfaces. Only the very early street cars were so powered and 100 or so cars into the run, the 428 was installed. The shapes of the two engines can wear the same dress and are near identical especially tucked into an engine bay that tight. But 428's were single 4160's or the quads which TDR will offer.

I don't think secrecy is a factor unless the licensing fees are avoided or a private owner of an original CSX 3000 series car requests privacy.

Trumpeter makes no secret of the fact that they kitted chassis 1046 for example.

This looks like one of the most awesome kits ever developed. But here's the elephant in the living room: The TDR 1/8 Jaguar D-Type body is $678 by itself. What's this kit going to cost?

Well that is where the Mad Fabricator comes in. We printed out a rapid prototype version of the TDR 427 Roadster body..........this is the expensive body......... and right now the Mad Fabricator is finishing out this RP body. Once it is finished he will pull some fiberglass molds from this finished RP body and will be able to produce "finished" fiberglass bodies that will cost a LOT less than the rapid prototype bodies and will require minimal finishing.

Cato:

One thing to remeber about TDR Innovations.........we are not locked in to one design like all the big model companies are. We are internet based and dynamic. We don't sell one box of parts.

We are considering offering this kit in multiple Sub-kits that will all work together. So, let's say customer X does not like the ole Blue Dot bias ply tires.....say he wants some low profile moderern tires.....well he will not have to buy the Blue Dots......instead he can just purchase the tires he wants....No sense buying something you do not want. There will be more on this as things evolve but let's just say that there will be many many versions of this kit that the customer will be able to build as money and time become available.

Cato:

One thing to remeber about TDR Innovations.........we are not locked in to one design like all the big model companies are. We are internet based and dynamic. We don't sell one box of parts.

We are considering offering this kit...

More great advertising Tim but it still doesn't answer the simple question I asked-twice now. What was the source material for this model?

I think it's great to see this kit. I hope I can get one, but even if I can't, kudos to everyone who had a hand in the project.

Lee, the guy who never says "You're making a huge mistake by not offering a 1974 Snoozemobile 4-door".

cato, maybe one of the guys from TDR can better answer your question but, i don't think this is a direct copy of any of the cars you mentioned.

Comp hit the nail right on the head.

TDR's job is to provide the modeler the parts they need to help them build whatever specific car they desire. If the modeler finds they need a specific part to build the car of their dreams they need only contact us and we can talk it over. Just Ask Comp1839 about his toploader rear end.

tim, i think see where you're going with this. you (the customer) can take the car down any avenue you wish. if the part you want isn't on the "kit". you can produce that particular part on a customer to customer basis. so, i agree whole heartedly with LDO. i'm glad to see this kit. 1/8 scale needs it badly (yes, i'm aware they can produce it in any scale) but, the offerings in 1/8 scale are so few and far between that this "breath of fresh air" is sorely needed.

by the way, i love my toploader rears. i certainly can't go "kit bashing" and get one of those! and don't forget the roots blowers you guys did for me. while i couldn't use one on this alcohol car(end recipient requested a screw blower)i haven't found a 1/8 roots blower as accurrate or as cool.

More great advertising Tim but it still doesn't answer the simple question I asked-twice now. What was the source material for this model?

Okay Cato, you feel you've asked a simple question.....I wish that were so.

Being a skilled and knowledgeable modeler I'm sure you are aware that the TDR 427 Roadster isn't intended to be what I guess could be called an "exact replica" of a specific car. As far as what we use for reference goes...simple answer....we gather info from the same sources as everyone else, the Internet, enthusiasts, input from fellow modelers, and so on.

We feel that part of the excitement with a kit like this is that it's 1/8th and the modeler has the ability to be able to build it to suit their own desires. We are considering doing a curbside version as well for the guys that may not feel they have the skills to build a super detailed version yet, but would like to build a big display model without the cost of all the underpinnings.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

...We are considering doing a curbside version as well for the guys that may not feel they have the skills to build a super detailed version yet, but would like to build a big display model without the cost of all the underpinnings.

THAT sounds really cool. There's nothing preventing a builder from adding a chassis and engine at a later date if they want to, I suppose. Any idea of a price for a curbside Cobra?

...the TDR 427 Roadster isn't intended to be what I guess could be called an "exact replica" of a specific car. As far as what we use for reference goes...simple answer....we gather info from the same sources as everyone else, the Internet, enthusiasts, input from fellow modelers, and so on.

OK Don-thanks for an answer.

The how much will it cost question keeps popping up. We can't put a price tag on it quite yet...yes, the complete car as a kit will be too expensive for many. We understand that all too well.

However, TDR is going to break the kit into sub-assemblies so that the modeler would be able to order a sub assembly and build at their own chosen speed while setting aside some coin for the next sub assembly. In other words...pay as you go.

Honestly guys, we'll keep the cost as low as we can, if the partners in TDR were to figure in all the man hours and our out of pocket costs....

well, you get the picture. Now I'm sure some wise guy will ask why we are doing it if we're not going to make big bucks.

The answer to that is simply, like many of you...we got tired of waiting for the big corps to offer us something new.....someone had to do it.