Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm working on a 1974 Econoline. The shape has been roughed in, detailing to come. Since I want more than one :rolleyes: , I am going to see about having this cast. I have a caster in mind who I think would be happy to do this one. The bottom view is to show that I'm trying to keep the inside nice in case a builder would want to detail it. I'll post more as more gets done.

Econoline74_zps1f7a9e9d.jpg?t=1375553399

Econoline741_zps22a870da.jpg?t=137555339Econoline742_zps978f8229.jpg?t=137555339Econoline743_zpsf3994af3.jpg?t=137555340

Tom, if you're doing this one in the 1-24th scale , I'm definitely interested in buying several of these vans . I'm scared off by resin prices usually. With a "Bull Nose " Ford , I'm going to borrow the money if I have to own the several vans I have enjoyed over the years with this body style .

Tom, if you're doing this one in the 1-24th scale , I'm definitely interested in buying several of these vans . I'm scared off by resin prices usually. With a "Bull Nose " Ford , I'm going to borrow the money if I have to own the several vans I have enjoyed over the years with this body style .

I guess I could have mentioned the scale. Sorry about that. It's 1/25.

Edited by Repstock

Tom, if ya do this one in resin, be sure an LET ME KNOW ASAP!!!!!!!!!!! . This is one resin body I will buy and probably more than one too. IO used to have a 70SWB, a 69 LWB E-300, a 70 SWB display side , and a 73 SWB with a slide side , first year they did one . Now If I could find a Rust free SWB with a 240........................

Looks more like he started w/ the AMT Ford van...you can see the side crease and taillight shapes in the 2nd pic...

Hmm ... I definitely see that its rear clip does have the E-Van's characteristics to it . I was basing my assessment upon the front clip ; doesn't its doors and slider look like the Chevy van's ? Look at the recessed door handles on both .

So , yeah , probably a conglomeration of two kits .

Cool , no matter what !

( BTW , I would love to get my mitts on one of the MPC 20th scale E's , as long as its factory stock building options are present !)

Tom, I see you have one of the 1-24th scale Ford Econolines Wal Wurl sold several years back.. I stripped the paint on mine cause I thought the graphics were kinda cheesey. Overall, the details were actually very nice . The interior was strange with the large Bench in back though ...........

Tom, I see you have one of the 1-24th scale Ford Econolines Wal Wurl sold several years back.. I stripped the paint on mine cause I thought the graphics were kinda cheesey. Overall, the details were actually very nice . The interior was strange with the large Bench in back though ...........

Ed, yes I have one and just haven't gotten around to doing something with it yet. When I bought it there was a shelf full of them. If I had known they'd be scarce I would've bought them all.

There was one done in 1/20 scale as the Ironsides van. There was also the below diecast in 1/24 scale...

DSC00022-vi.jpg

It doesn't look too bad except for those roof ribs. They should be indented, not sticking up. The body is also very tall compared to it's length and width. Finally, and on a die cast this is probably too picky, but there's no twin I beam front suspension, it looks like a Chevy van front suspension. That's no worse than the Hess (GMC) training van, which shows the two rear axles as differentials with drive shafts. The van depicted was front wheel drive.

There's no denying this Ford die cast has a certain coolness too it, though. (Cheesy graphics excluded, of course).

Tom, probably the true reason behind the chassis engineering is on account of the same company doing a 1971-3 Chevrolet Van at the same time they were doing the 69-74 Ford . Width wise , there were relatively close . I think it's interesting that they chose to do the "Slide side option as it really didn't catch on until the "Super- Snoot", uh 76-91 versions appeared . Oh sure , sliding doors were available from Ford . Chevrolets lousy dual action latches made a lot of , ( MY CUSTOMERS ) livid at the fact that the side door mechanism would break . This was especially true in the very early years of the "Door Extenders ", a product that was mandatory on Chevrolet vans with any kind of a wide tire . If you wanted the Fiberglass flares which I manufactured , yes, you had to run them .

Now Tom, are you going to do this van with a 240 six or the 302 V-8? I ask over the fact that there were TWO different Motor boxes that were used . The V-8 box was pointed at the rear and a good four inches shorter over all and came up a little shorter than the six . The six box was set out to allow the driver a greater access than the passenger side , was flat at the rear and was overall somewhat more vertical because of the length of the block and the height . Don't forget too, that the dash was designed two ways as well. The vans WITH a radio had a open slot beneath the radio . Vans without a radio could have had a lockable glove box . In addition, the 69-74 Ford Econolines also were the last to offer a "Flip- Fold " passenger seat too. These were a not too comfortable "Jump seat " with the ability to allow one to fold the back forward and then lift up slightly and fold it so as to allow a long load on the passenger side . Persons wishing air conditioning were treated to a somewhat abysmal set up where the driver got the A/C alright , on their side . There was also a very RARE auxiliary heater option too. It was located under the truck and on the drivers side . Also , in 1969-70, one could have ordered for the last time a Genuine Chrome FULL horn ring too !

I used to use my little known options at truck In's years ago when we would sit around a campfire getting sauced . Dodge also had some interesting quirks of options too.

Tom, probably the true reason behind the chassis engineering is on account of the same company doing a 1971-3 Chevrolet Van at the same time they were doing the 69-74 Ford . Width wise , there were relatively close . I think it's interesting that they chose to do the "Slide side option as it really didn't catch on until the "Super- Snoot", uh 76-91 versions appeared . Oh sure , sliding doors were available from Ford . Chevrolets lousy dual action latches made a lot of , ( MY CUSTOMERS ) livid at the fact that the side door mechanism would break . This was especially true in the very early years of the "Door Extenders ", a product that was mandatory on Chevrolet vans with any kind of a wide tire . If you wanted the Fiberglass flares which I manufactured , yes, you had to run them .

Now Tom, are you going to do this van with a 240 six or the 302 V-8? I ask over the fact that there were TWO different Motor boxes that were used . The V-8 box was pointed at the rear and a good four inches shorter over all and came up a little shorter than the six . The six box was set out to allow the driver a greater access than the passenger side , was flat at the rear and was overall somewhat more vertical because of the length of the block and the height . Don't forget too, that the dash was designed two ways as well. The vans WITH a radio had a open slot beneath the radio . Vans without a radio could have had a lockable glove box . In addition, the 69-74 Ford Econolines also were the last to offer a "Flip- Fold " passenger seat too. These were a not too comfortable "Jump seat " with the ability to allow one to fold the back forward and then lift up slightly and fold it so as to allow a long load on the passenger side . Persons wishing air conditioning were treated to a somewhat abysmal set up where the driver got the A/C alright , on their side . There was also a very RARE auxiliary heater option too. It was located under the truck and on the drivers side . Also , in 1969-70, one could have ordered for the last time a Genuine Chrome FULL horn ring too !

I used to use my little known options at truck In's years ago when we would sit around a campfire getting sauced . Dodge also had some interesting quirks of options too.

I'll probably do a V8 box. The interior detail will be limited to the driver's compartment, and I don't want to put a lot of detail in the chassis. I'm hoping these will be easier to cast and cheaper to purchase that way. Also, there are so many possible variations it would probably be best to leave the details to the builder. I'm thinking this will be about the complexity of a snap kit. No opening hood or doors, etc. The builder can then add his own skills to make it into what he wants. I'm not sure what to do about the suspension, as many builders probably don't have a twin I beam setup laying around in the parts box. Any thoughts on how to handle the chassis?

tom. i used parts from the later ford van chassis under my 66f100. it may not exactly correct, but it fits and looks good

Maybe one of those 1992 Ford pickup promos could donate a representation of the twin I beam. Were they still using Twin I beam in 1992?

I'll probably do a V8 box. The interior detail will be limited to the driver's compartment, and I don't want to put a lot of detail in the chassis. I'm hoping these will be easier to cast and cheaper to purchase that way. Also, there are so many possible variations it would probably be best to leave the details to the builder. I'm thinking this will be about the complexity of a snap kit. No opening hood or doors, etc. The builder can then add his own skills to make it into what he wants. I'm not sure what to do about the suspension, as many builders probably don't have a twin I beam setup laying around in the parts box. Any thoughts on how to handle the chassis?

If I were to do one, I would use a MPC 1/20 scale as a guide, shrink it to 1/25 scale, and work from there.