Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't build a lot of whimsical, fantasy type stuff, but hey...when I was a kid, Fireball XL5 was one of my favorite TV shows! Every Saturday at noon, I was GLUED to the TV so I could see Steve Zodiac's latest adventure....filmed in supermarionation, of course!

I found this kit many years ago (1993?) at an IPMS convention and HAD to have it. It's made out of resin and white metal, it's about 12" long, and it weighs a ton, lol. I recently dug it out while doing some organizing, dusted it off, and thought I'd share.

There's lots of clips of Fireball XL5 on YouTube, along with producer Gerry Anderson's other shows Supercar and Thunderbirds, and I guess as a kid I didn't realize just how cheesy it was...but it was made for kids, and everything in it is a model, so it's ok!

By the way....I have a half-built resin model of Supercar around here somewhere. I might finish it, if I could just find it....

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

How cool is that? You did a wonderful job.

I loved that show, my world was on hold when this was on TV. Supercar too. As a kid I had the motorized Supercar, and Fireball XL5 which as I recall was at least a foot and a half long.

G

Edited by Agent G

I have a feeling the show is before my time( probably not by much ) . Just did a youtube search and the style looks vaguly familiar but I don't remember this how at all. It has a cartoonish Buck Rogers type flavor to it

Either way , I REALLY like the model replica .

Edited by gtx6970

Tommy, us kids that grew up IN the 60's had ALOT more shows for the imagineation than Todays kids! I used to watch Fireball 500, and I LOVED Supercar!!! i FINALLY found one in 25th scale, also found the old TV show on U-tube, and I now have everything I need to build it! Those were great shows and used to have GREAT story lines. they were MUCH better than the japanamation shows that the kids watch now.

Edited by george 53

Thanks, guys. Harry and Bill, Gerry Anderson did several of these type shows starting around 1960, using those marionette type puppets for characters and scale models for everything else. Supercar was first, then Fireball around '62, ending up with Thunderbirds around 1965. All the special effects look pretty bad now, but back in the early 60's it was state of the art. They actually made Thunderbirds into a live action movie a few years ago, starring Bill Paxton, but I think it sorta flopped.

George, I have one of those Supercar kits around here somewhere. I tried to build it years ago and got frustrated trying to cut out the vacu-formed canopy....I put it back in the box and packed it up, now I can't find it. It's around here somewhere! Lol.

Excellent job on that! I don't often browse this far down the board so I'm glad I saw this.

Chalk me up as another kid who was a big fan of Fireball XL-5 and Supercar. I was even fortunate enough to have relatives in the UK that sent me related toys and stuff - all long gone, but I still have a Supercar drawing around somewhere that I did when I was about five years old.

• 3 weeks later...