Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any one want to help with an art project?

jeffinvt

I have been working on trying to make up a fictional rod shop to put on some current and upcoming builds. I am working in Photoshop 7 and have no clue what I'm doing. I would love either help with how to work Photoshop, or help in making it by other artistic means. thanx, jeff

Hey Jeff, nice idea that, to put yer own shop on yer builds. I'm gonna do that on a scratchbuilt parts rat that I hope to get back to soon, called "Granny's Trannys", but right now I'm considering putting this "Smokin' Sam" on my 51 Fleetliner rat. I drew it up, painted it, took a pic of it, then ran it thru 'Photo Explosion' to adjust the colors, contrast, brightness, etc. Gonna try making my own decals with it.

I used to play ('live in' is more like it) in PhotoShop 7. Great softie!! Did bunches of art in there, but had to un-install it coz I was so addicted to it. I may re-install it someday if my therapist thinks I'm OK enuff to do so :blink: . I think the best advice for anyone trying to learn PhotoShop, or any other program is to just go in there and play. Put a picture in there and just start clicking here and there and see what happens. If you're afraid of losing your picture, make a copy first and then go into PS. Also, if you go to Adobe's website (just type Adobe in your browser) they have tutorials there that can give you more exact instructions. Also when you are in the PS workstation, there is 'HELP' on the top, click on there and find info on your particular problem. It's just gonna take time to get used to all the bells and whistles, and believe me, PS 7 is got a ton of dem :D !!

If you take a picture of one of your rods, you could put it in PS7 and go to 'filters', pick one effect (they're all listed) try one and see what you think in the preview window. If you don't like what you see the filter has done, don't click on OK, just click the 'x' and try another filter. Also, if you do apply a filter to your pic, you can always adjust the amount of the filters effect. Go to 'Edit' at the top left of the screen and you should see 'fade ------- (whatever filter it was that you just applied)' click on that and then you can start adjusting from now until tomorrow morning. Then you look for the 'T' which is for text, so you can add words to your rod picture. Just play. Can't stress that enuff. You gotta get comfy with all the different tools, and I truly believe you can best do that by just experimenting with them---no pressure. Hope to see what you come up with sometime. Good luck!! ######'n

Heres what I got so far...

eyeballcopy.jpg

Not sure how to do more to make it kooler. I wanted the letters to look gold leafed, and don't love the font. Also on the search for a better Kenny Howard flying Eyeball. The biggest thing is I want to lay a pinstripe around it so the logo sits on top of stripes, but can't figure out how to layer that way. This is the prototype, hopefully it will get a lot better...

Hey Jeff, nice to see that you got the right attitude bout this, concentrating on it's coolness :D:lol: . I took the liberty of copying your design and playing with it in my 'Photo Explosion' softie. You should have a ton of fonts in your PS7, again, yer just gonna hafta check em out to see what ya like. Sometimes some fonts don't bend well. I used a font called 'Squealer' for the 'eyeball', used 'Impact' for the 'engineering' and 'Brush' for 'Rod & Custom'.

Yer gonna hafta do some more exploring in PS7. It is possible to get really close to what you want in the gold leaf lettering. Look for 'layer adjustment' and 'glow'--they're not in the filters, but in the more basic image adjusting section, about middle of the top of the screen if I remember correctly. Once you get that 'layer adjustment' open you can do all kinds of things, like add textures, gradients, patterns, inner glow, outer glow, transparency, etc etc <ahttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png' alt=':lol:'> . Also, look for a little window marked 'layers' or 'history'. It shows you how many layers you got going, and/or what you have done. If you want to work on just the one layer, click on that little picture of that layer in the 'layers' window and then only that layer will be active, even tho you may see the other layers also. Takes a little getting used to, but keep at it........Looks like you've got a real good start and when I first saw your design, my first word was "COOL!!" so, you be fine, must be an artist, coz we're our own worst critics :lol:

• 3 months later...