Model Cars Magazine Forum

New resin for the GTO fans...Update 6/29/06 with PICS!!!

Reliable Resin is coming out with some exciting new products for us GTO fans. First up is an upgrade kit for the AMT ex-MPC 1972 including reworked front valance panel, clear amber turn signals, clear headlights, and the correct front grille from a 1972 annual with the "GTO" script.

Next up will be a 1971 transkit with the front valance, turn signals and headlights from above, a 1971 grille and a 1971 interior tub and bucket seats. The builder will only have to fill in the front fender vents on the '72 body for an accurate 1971 GTO.

Then going back a few more years, a 1968 GTO hardtop is in the works with the full body and hood, grille, rear bumper and taillights and complete interior with the one year only 1968 instrument panel.

If you guys would like to see a '69 and/or a '70 GTO just post your response here.

Watch this forum for updates.

Pictures! We need pictures!

I will post pictures soon. Don @ Reliable received my masters on Friday and he was busy pouring rubber for molds today for the '71 and '72 GTO parts, so it shouldn't be long.

Don will be attaching MCG photoetch emblems to the '68 body before it gets cast. There are a couple of other projects ahead of it in the molding/casting process but I expect it within 30 days. I'm working on the master for the '69 GTO, including a modified 1:24 scale Judge spoiler. Keith Marks has just completed artwork for '69 GTO Judge decals and will be sizing them to fit the MPC '69 body. Both the '68 and '69 GTO can use the AMT '72 GTO for glass, chassis and powertrain. For more detail, you can use the AMT exMPC '69 Olds 442 kit for the chassis and the engine from the Revell '68 Firebird or '66 GTO.

I won a junkyard auction on Ebay last week that included two MPC '70 GTO's (the curbside promo version) that I will be opening the hood on so that we can finally get the '70 GTO that AMT promised us years ago, albeit in resin. The original '70 has the front bumper molded to the body.

I'll post updates as soon as I can. Thanks for your interest.

Here are the first pics of the AMT ex-MPC '72 GTO upgrade package from Reliable Resin.

72GTOconversion1-vi.jpg

It will include a corrected front valance with opened grille work, clear amber turn signals and clear headlights, and a correct grille with the GTO script from an MPC '72 GTO annual. The whole headlight/bezel assembly is molded in a high gloss clear resin. You simply apply BMF to the front of the part and trim the foil away from the headlights. Here's a pic showing the part in the car.

72GTOconversion2-vi.jpg

You will want to apply BMF to the back of the headlight or inside the fender. It was intentionally left off in this pic to demonstrate the clear casting.

I believe the complete package will include your choice of Pontiac Rally II or Honeycomb wheels and some rally mirrors for the doors. I'll update this information as soon as I get it from Don @ Reliable Resin.

Enjoy!!!