Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 32 Ford "Deuce" 10/27/17 '59 Impala dash!

Foxer

The first red ... Tamiya TS11 Maroon looked way off when I first sprayed ... thought it was too light compared to the can color, but it's looking better the more I look. The color itself is nice. We'll see when I put some candy red on top of it. I may try some darker primer in another test .. just some of my usual grey undercoat.

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile but I HAVE been working. I ended up gluing the hood and nose the get everything blended. I'm not sure if I'll cut apart in the end or just leave as is. Having the nose on body while the engine is exposed will be better but maybe I'll just hinge the whole thing at the cowl. This is the first coat of putty sanded a bit.

The spoons show the paint I decided. The darker one is with a black undercoat and that I will use.

paint and hood DSC 0871

I moved the motor mounts almost a quarter inch up on the engine to clear the hood and got the mounting pins installed. Also got the mounts on the frame done and looks like the SHO engine will clear the hood. I'll probably gouge a bit under the hood to insure clearance also.

Edited by Foxer

Some great styling cues. I love those reds. I would be tempted to put all three of them on there. ;)

Hmmmm .. as usual, you're gonna make me think! I do plan to add back the body "trim" I sanded off the hood ... basically where the hood hinges were. Separation lines will be there so multi-reds could work easily. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The hood was much more work than I thought, but half of it was reinforcing and re-gluing the joints! It just needs a little putty along the headlight pod edges before primer! I had to cut some pretty big holes to allow the headlights to slip in from the rear. The body trim was extended onto the hood with triangular strips.

body in raw DSC 0887

body in raw DSC 0886

body in raw  DSC 0885

I also got the front wheels spaced and ready for mounting. It took 3 cylinders in plastic and brass for mounting. The rears are similar but only needed 2 plastic tubes.

front axle DSC 0884

Edited by Foxer

I really like those flow-through nostrils on the hood. What you've experienced "reinforcing and re-gluing the joints" is the reason that after I get my major bodywork roughed in, I reinforce the backside of everything with very fine fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. No spontaneous dis-assembly while sanding bondo.

What you've experienced "reinforcing and re-gluing the joints" is the reason that after I get my major bodywork roughed in, I reinforce the backside of everything with very fine fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. No spontaneous dis-assembly while sanding bondo.

I know what you're saying cause I think my fingers are going "senior". I did use brass strips and epoxy after some breaks and that has worked fine.

brass reinforcment DSC 0879

Edited by Foxer

Thanks for these comments guys! :)

Now I'm figgiting with the rear and planning to extend the fenders across the body. There's a crude photo in a question I asked here about bending the edge to match the fenders.

bend tail DSC 0876

I'm also thinking of inserting the Prowler tail lights in the ends of the fenders. This would be a hole cutout and insertion but I'm still debating it while thinking of other options.

Edited by Foxer

Mike, not trying to swamp your build with photos but I was looking around at some cool garage photos and came across this beauty and couldn't help myslef but think of your build again. I'm a huge fan of what your doing to your 32 so I tought it would help give you a little inspiration. I like the work on the front end and what you have planned for the rear, your really making this flow nicely. Keep up the good work.

64a305227f30ac16033846651fae92c0.jpg

Thanks for that photo, Jason! That is a good looker. The grill caught my attention .. this is similar to what I had in mind. I need to find a mesh or screen that will contour to the curve of the front.

EDIT: OH MY! .. I looked up that roadster and saw it's a VOLVO concept! ... who would have thought.

Edited by Foxer

This needed the primer to say the hood is done! :)

in grey DSC 0889

in grey DSC 0890

I just saw pasting this show up that I can make some clearance inside the rear fenders that will allow the rear wheels to straighten up a bit. Amd it looks like the headlight lenses will fit ... will have to see if I like the look or not.

Gonna start a search for something to fill the grill not starting with some fine screen. Any ideas will be welcome.

Edited by Foxer

hmmm, the headlights in that position seem to be fighting with the flow of your concept, have you considered mounting those light assemblies to the front fenders below the level of the top of the fender?

kinda like this...

lite-move.jpg