Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styrene Stars book?

For LDO and anyone else unclear of the forum rule...

Mentioning a new product here is perfectly ok. New products are talked about here all the time. In fact we have a big long thread going right now regarding the new Rat Roaster kit.

What's against the rules is selling any product directly here on the forum.

Example:

OK: I hear the new Pocher kit will be a Lamborghini, it looks pretty cool.

Not OK: I have the new Pocher kit for sale at $XXX, to order it from me, click here.

Since when is mentioning a new product coming out on the market considered advertising ?

I agree there's nothing wrong with mentioning a new product, be it created by a forum member or not, but I also understand where Lee's coming from, taking into account the first thirty second's of each video Virgil posts. There's almost never a clearly defined line between self-promotion, advertising, and genuinely wanting to share a new product, idea, or technique with fellow forum members, but I think Harry's post makes it clear. Leave the price and/or a direct link to purchase said product out of the post and there are no issues.

You can get the book directly from Virgil's website.

"Leave the price and/or a direct link to purchase said product out of the post and there are no issues. You can get the book directly from Virgil's website:"

What's wrong with posting a link to a place where you can buy something as long it's not being directly offered as Harry described? I post links to eBay items and hobby sites all the time. In fact, you posted a direct link to Cranky's website.

Maybe I'm being too literal -- do you mean don't post a link to purchase a product if you're the seller? Kind of a fine line here.

Edited by sjordan2

What's wrong with posting a link to a place where you can buy something as long it's not being directly offered as Harry described? I post links to eBay items and hobby sites all the time. In fact, you posted a direct link to Cranky's website.

Maybe I'm being too literal -- do you mean don't post a link to purchase a product if you're the seller? Kind of a fine line here.

The picture I posted, when clicked on, was a direct link to the website, which was unknown to me. I added the image so people could see what the book looks like, and we addressed the selling issue very thoroughly in another topic, so I removed the image and direct link.

And yes, it is a fine, blurry line, with no absolute answer for every possible scenario.

Since when is mentioning a new product coming out on the market considered advertising ?

Donn, not to split hairs but if mentioning a new product is not considered advertising, what is it considered? What is the purpose of mentioning something if the end result is not to promote sales and awareness?

Advertising 101 was a long time ago for this kid (30+ years!) but I still remember some of the bullet points from that class!

the magazine you see in his post is in his signature. it's below the gray line.

No. The post I quoted and the prior one he was replying to both changed the subject. Neither of them had anything to do with this thread. In case you didn't bother to read the thread from the beginning:

1. It started out about the publication of Dr. Cranky's new book.

2. It evolved into another discussion about what constitutes selling on the forum.

None of which relates to the new issue (and Hawk 312's signature cover shot goes back many, many issues).

Edited by sjordan2

No. The post I quoted and the prior one he was replying to both changed the subject. Neither of them had anything to do with this thread. I

Sean's and David's posts stated they received their copy of Virgil's book in the mail, which is exactly what this topic is about. You were the first to mention the magazine.

Sean's and David's posts stated they received their copy of Virgil's book in the mail, which is exactly what this topic is about. You were the first to mention the magazine.

Okay, maybe I misread it, but what does "great work, guys" mean? Is Dr. Cranky "guys?" Where do they state they were talking about the book? Evidently, Derick was also confused by saying, "the magazine you see in his post is in his signature. it's below the gray line."

Edited by sjordan2