Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Danno... I way always planning on doing the Peep hole sun roof ;):P .

Brad... I really think it had the lip on top from the way it sits. Ok I will carry on with the Peep hole... :lol:

Michael... Thank you very much for the kind words. I actually have been tracking my hours on this build and I currently have 970.5 hours into this build so far :)

Here is a couple more pics showing the hatch and lip....

1974ArmyVega-X10_zps9c702f74.jpg

1974ArmyVega-X11_zps1e003a0d.jpg

To me it doesn't look so much like a raised "lip". It looks more like the entire hatch "top" sits above the roof of the car. Had the hatch been completely flush mounted, there would be no way to open it from the outside. If you look back at the screenshots you have with the hatch open on page 130( and the pics you just posted while I was typing this lol) of this build, you can see the dirt/grime build up around the hatch opening on the roof where the hatch edges rested. Just my two cents of course... Sometimes you just can't sweat some of the small details. Any which way you go, this will be an amazing model for sure!

Edited by Armornv

Are you building the original car? Or building the Re-Pop in the video?? The Army Vega snake has now, is a re-creation, and is not the same as the car he ran back in the 70's, and there are slight differences.

Don't sweat the small stuff, it's looking great!

Paul... Thanks, This build is a replica of the restored car. There were only a few pics of the original car out there that I could find and I found more of the restored one. pretty much my build is based off the pics that are up on the snake racing website under his collection as well as the you tube video that snake describes this car. Any of the details that I couldn't find from this are base off of other cars I found in this era.

John... Thanks my Big Brother but I don't know if I deserve the "Master" Modeler title because there many more that are way more talented than me.

Mike... Thanks Brother!! I appreciate the kind words. I keep trying to push myself further... not sure if that'ss good or bad.... B)

Jim... Thank you. I was trying to figure out of it did that or not myself. one of the angle it almost looks like that black piece you mention falls in the inside of the hatch. I will have to see if I can find another shot in the video if i shows from the inside with the hatch closed.

I done a little more work today. But I feel I haven't made much progress and was hard to get really motivate on the build today. Not sure why but just one of those days. Well i was also watching football at the same time... :lol:

Here is the start at my poor mans lathe to round the bolt heads off. I first started with really small pin vise that I purchased from Micro Marks. Chucked the bolt up into it and then inserted it into the drill as seen here:

DP-Army-Vega4502-1_zpscb8afe45.jpg

I then started with a file to turn the head down:

DP-Army-Vega4503-1_zpsf364c93b.jpg

Next I used a sanding file to complete the transformation:

DP-Army-Vega4504-1_zps938fbc74.jpg

I started adding some filler pieces to the hatch to clean things up:

DP-Army-Vega4505-1_zpsc50f92ae.jpg

I even added a small piece to the front of one side of the hatch to close the gap up:

DP-Army-Vega4509-1_zpsc6a8a206.jpg

I started to mark out the peep hole in the hatch. What you see here is 1/4" wide which would make it only a 4" window and I was debating if I should open it up to 5 "or 6" in scale. Let me know your thoughts if you think it needs to be bigger. I was thinking 4" would of been a small window to see the Christmas Tree...lol:

DP-Army-Vega4512-1_zps080e618c.jpg

Awesome job on the hatch and hinge, Chris. Great engineering! Your craftsmanship is top notch.

I "get" going back and lining up the holes. Just one of those things that won't leave you alone. If the rivet heads are big enough to cover, you can cheat by making the a bit oblong.

Great work on a amazing replica!

Scott

Henry... Thank you. I thought it looked ok too.

Brad ... Thank you. I thought it looked good but questioned myself with it. Oh I wasn't gonna miss those details. My plan is to start out by drilling holes for the corner and then cutting the are a out in between. :) hopefully I will have another update in a bit. I need to clean my kitchen up first from dinner lol

Scott... Thank you for the kind words. I agree with you I had thought about making the hole bigger but it's only one hole that seems to really look off to me and knowing what all I have done so far on this build I will probably fill that hole and re drill it again. But this time I will drill the hole in the hatch where I want it and transfer it to the hinge lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris ,Looking good pal, Are you /Thy talking about the Hatch poping up a little? heck boss your, your own worst critic! I mean this in a good way, your attention too detail is unreal, this car will never be complete in your eye's unless you light'en up on your self friend, looks super,,Build on,," Just an idea, But is a cpl small flat Magnets under the hatch maybe might help?

Alan... Thank you. Yep i was talking about the hatch sitting up just a tad. I almost feel that the hatch had a flange that is a little wider which sits in top of the body rather than recess into the body. Maybe i need not to be so concerned about this little detail. You are right I can tend to be my own worst critic and I will second guess myself on some details. Guess I need to be a little easier on myself. I have been pushing myself with trying to capture every detail I can.

Larry... Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I guess in my own eyes i dont see myself as a master modeler. I think I still have alot to learn. I enjoy building and being creative. I have an idea in my mind how I want it to turn out and I think I am getting there little by little.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave... thank you very much.

So I got about an hour at the bench tonight and I was able to get the window peep hole cut out of the hatch. here is what was accomplished....

I started out with drilling holes in the corners with a .070" dia drill bit or it may of been .0625" but I am thinking I maybe should of gone a little bit bigger but I looks ok. So the holes were drilled first and then I scribed from hole to hole to cut it out:

DP-Army-Vega4514-1_zps673b35f0.jpg

Here is what it looked like after It was cut out and a little sanding was done to it:

DP-Army-Vega4519-1_zps06a531e0.jpg

I then cut a piece of some clear plastic and laid it in place with a pece of tape holding it in to see what it would look like:

DP-Army-Vega4522-1_zpsb6a4a486.jpg

Another View:

DP-Army-Vega4525-1_zps608c11b0.jpg

Dave... Thank You. I will take it as a compliment that peiple would want this on their shelf.

Joe... Thank you. This is one of those small details that I knew I had to do that woulds add a lot to complete the look.

Henry... Thank you.

John... Thanks my Brother. The hatch is getting there and I am enjoying sharing thia build with everyone.

Mike... thank you. The hatch is turning out better than excpected so far but I still have some work to go on it.

Well my goal for tonight is to finishup the window area. I need to sant the inside a little flatter to get the flas to sit flush to the inside as well as add the rivet holes and detail for the rivets. Then I will work on the lip in the underside of the hatch as well as the locking/latching mechanism.