Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Mercedes 500K Roadster- Slumpbuster!

jaymcminn

So good, in fact, that I liked it so much that I bought the company ;-P Or at least my own Johan 500K for £15 from eBay UK -- I hope I can do it such justice as Jay has. I'm sure I've got an Octane with one that has grey upholstery with a similar battleship grey exterior. It looked REALLY cool...

mb500kcaba35.jpg

bestest,

M.

You'll definitely do it justice, Matt. This is a great old kit that deserves to be revisited by modern builders who can really do it justice with modern tools and techniques. After your work on the old Aurora/Monogram Maserati 3500 I know we're in for a great build. Good luck! Edited by jaymcminn

A really outstanding job, probably the cleanest 500K/540K I have ever seen! Your photography is equally perfect.

I have the same kit in the stash with an incredible amount of flash that spoils the chromed parts completely. Your treatment of your chrome parts is a real achievement.

BTW contrary to a common belief chromed wires and whitewalls on German pre-war 1:1 cars are a possible but extremely rare feature. Both are typical post-war restoration improvements that you find only on a neglectible number of contemporary photos. Strangely Mercedes used artwork with whitewalls in their sales brochures sometimes. Maybe this inspired owners after the war.

A really outstanding job, probably the cleanest 500K/540K I have ever seen! Your photography is equally perfect.

I have the same kit in the stash with an incredible amount of flash that spoils the chromed parts completely. Your treatment of your chrome parts is a real achievement.

BTW contrary to a common belief chromed wires and whitewalls on German pre-war 1:1 cars are a possible but extremely rare feature. Both are typical post-war restoration improvements that you find only on a neglectible number of contemporary photos. Strangely Mercedes used artwork with whitewalls in their sales brochures sometimes. Maybe this inspired owners after the war.

The key to getting a good one of these is to get one of the ones with the "gold cup" on the box art. These are early releases before the molds started to wear. I went back and forth on the wide whites... I know they're not strictly accurate for a period-correct model, but I think they add a lot of presence to this car. The brown 500K Special in the Mercedes museum has the chrome spokes and wide whites...if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me!

Beautiful build Jason! Reminds me of the one I saw at the Allure in Atlanta a few years ago. The 1:1 takes your breath away.

IMG_0789-vi.jpg

540K, different car. But Like Harry, I keep coming back to this one. Such spectacular work on such a teeny car, with such small detail. I can't imagine this kit being done better, except I'd like you to show your followers more engine detail, like on your PB account. Edited by sjordan2