Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show us your 6 powered cars

Nick Winter

Jeepers Mathew, I glad you didn't go mining. I wasn't expecting such a thorough answer, but I'll take it and file it. Now, where else could I have gotten an answer like that? You too Rob. Thanks.

See what happens when I get bored!!! :lol::P:lol: Those were just the quick ones I found in the stash, can you imagine if I would have been bored enough to start digging!?!?! :lol:

Nice Conversion Jim! I've never seen that kit turned into a four door! What roof did you use as a starting point??

Thanks for the compliment! I actually built this one probably about 15 years ago, and I still need to get the right size tires onto it. At least I put a decent looking license plate on it after this shot was taken - a computer-generated replica of the actual plate instead of my hand painted one. The roof was from the AMT '66 Mustang. I smoothed out the ridge around the rear window and narrowed it a couple of scale inches. Then it was just a fairly straightforward matter of blending the curvature of the Mustang roof to match the Corvair roof section that I had left up front just for that purpose, cutting in the right windowline for the door glass and adding the drip molding. The hard part was preserving the detail of the air intake at the base of the rear window, since I kept the entire perimeter of the rear window to preserve the reveal molding. Lots of patience with a rattail file and fine sandpaper around a metal axle shaft helped.I think I may have had nearly as much time in converting the dressy, bucket seat Monza interior to the bare-bones, bench seat 500 Series interior as I had in the body!

By the way, Highway, the '69 firebird kit doesn't have a "Blue Flame 6" engine, it has the Pontiac OHC six.

WHOOOPS, sorry Bart! :lol: I thought that was the engine they called the Blue Flame, but that was actually the Corvette's engine, wasn't it?

heck I love seeing the oddball's like 6 Cylinder Mustangs and Firebird's, so lets see them, I'll start with my '68 Pontiac LeMans with a 230 I6 and 3SPD Auto combo.

FILE0108.jpg

Nick

So lets see those Mighty 6 Cars

Nice build - great subject.

Where did you get a OHC Pontiac 6?

Edited by seeker589

Tim, the OHC Pontiac 6 that Nick used looks like it came out of the old MPC '69 "Trans Am" kit that's been reissued several times. IIRC, the reissues still had that engine and it does build up nice when detailed.

Can't say the same for the rest of the Trans Am kit-----thus my previous mention of it in quotes. The body leaves much to be desired shape wise to my eyes. That's one car that's BEGGING to be done as a properly done modern glue kit! B)

Tim, the OHC Pontiac 6 that Nick used looks like it came out of the old MPC '69 "Trans Am" kit that's been reissued several times. IIRC, the reissues still had that engine and it does build up nice when detailed.

Can't say the same for the rest of the Trans Am kit-----thus my previous mention of it in quotes. The body leaves much to be desired shape wise to my eyes. That's one car that's BEGGING to be done as a properly done modern glue kit! B)

Bill is correct that's where I got it, actually bought the kit just for the engine.

and I concure about the re do for the '69.

Nick

Yes indeed the Blue Flame was the factory engine in the first Corvette

The original use of the Blue Flame 235 was in the '50 Chevrolet with the Powerglide transmission. It was essentially a slightly modified 1 1/2-2 ton truck engine, using a hydraulic cam instead of solid lifters. The early version ('50-'52 Powerglide, '53 with manual trans) used the same low pressure oiling system as the 216 "Babbit Pounder" that dated back to 1937. In '53, the Powerglide cars (including the Corvette, which only came with a 'Glide until '55) got a new version of the Blue Flame that had a high pressure oiling system. All Chevrolets got the new engine in '54, redardless of transmission.

Of note, while the oiling system did go to full pressure in '53/'54 on the Blue Flame (pass), Thriftmaster (light truck), and the new for '54 Jobmaster 261 (2 ton truck), the oil filter was still optional and of the bypass type. This went on to the last year of production, 1962, exept for the '59-'62 261, which got a full flow filter std. Also, the Corvette Blue Flame, in addition to the split exhaust and 3 carb intake, also had a different camshaft, using a solid lifter cam with a similar grind as the 261 truck engine. There were also a few other unique to Corvette parts, such as the rocker cover, engine mounts, and some cooling sytem components.

The original use of the Blue Flame 235 was in the '50 Chevrolet with the Powerglide transmission. It was essentially a slightly modified 1 1/2-2 ton truck engine, using a hydraulic cam instead of solid lifters. The early version ('50-'52 Powerglide, '53 with manual trans) used the same low pressure oiling system as the 216 "Babbit Pounder" that dated back to 1937. In '53, the Powerglide cars (including the Corvette, which only came with a 'Glide until '55) got a new version of the Blue Flame that had a high pressure oiling system. All Chevrolets got the new engine in '54, redardless of transmission.

Of note, while the oiling system did go to full pressure in '53/'54 on the Blue Flame (pass), Thriftmaster (light truck), and the new for '54 Jobmaster 261 (2 ton truck), the oil filter was still optional and of the bypass type. This went on to the last year of production, 1962, exept for the '59-'62 261, which got a full flow filter std. Also, the Corvette Blue Flame, in addition to the split exhaust and 3 carb intake, also had a different camshaft, using a solid lifter cam with a similar grind as the 261 truck engine. There were also a few other unique to Corvette parts, such as the rocker cover, engine mounts, and some cooling sytem components.

And, for you ambitious builders....the 261 was used in the Canadian Pontiacs, too. I think the block was a bit bigger, although I'm not sure if it was enough so that it would be noticed in scale.

And making a Canuck Tin Indian is NOT a simple task.

Perhaps someday when I have enough confidence in my skills, I might give it a whirl.

Charlie Larkin

I'm almost embarrassed to post 10 yr. old builds, but I still haven't gotten my hobby room together yet. So until I get back in the saddle, here's proof that I do / did build models at one time!

This is the Monogram kit w/ a Tamiya 4.2 liter Jaguar straight six.

Models_110006-vi.jpg

Models_110008-vi.jpg

This is the Lindberg kit w/ a set of R & M co. resin Webers.

64Dodge1-vi.jpg

64Dodge2-vi.jpg

Edited by FASTBACK340

And, for you ambitious builders....the 261 was used in the Canadian Pontiacs, too. I think the block was a bit bigger, although I'm not sure if it was enough so that it would be noticed in scale.

And making a Canuck Tin Indian is NOT a simple task.

Perhaps someday when I have enough confidence in my skills, I might give it a whirl.

Charlie Larkin

The block is the same, the differences are internal. The only external differences, depending on year and application, are the oil filter ports ('59-'62 w/full flow filtration, 2 ton truck only), bypass cooling system on the heavier trucks, and the "Captains Bars" casting marks on the drivers side of the block, which ID it as a 261 ('55-'62). Note, "Captains Bars" also appear on the '53 full pressure block, as well as some '54 235 blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

'41 Plymouth (very) mild custom...

41Plymouth1.jpg

41Plymouth8.jpg

'10 Dodge Challenger (AMT curbside kit) converted to a base SE 3.5L V6 car (based off a friend's 1:1)...

February48HourChallengerSE1.jpg

Also a curbside,but Tamiya 350Z...

350Z6.jpg

350Z4.jpg

And a pair of 1:1's,my daily and project (haven't decided which is which yet,LOL):

'96 Dime 4.3L/auto...

001-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

(shows how low it sits)

'95 Blazer 4.3L/auto...

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

(still needs to be lower :rolleyes:,and yes,the grille will be replaced,bumper painted-as will the hood,LOL )

Edited by Olskoolrodder

• 2 weeks later...